"Uh-Huh" is Not "You're Welcome"

by XJW4EVR 19 Replies latest jw friends

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Last weekend my son told me about the the training he is getting for his new job. He said that he is required to watch customer service videos, and in one of the videos there was a segment that told people to say, "You're Welcome," and not, "Uh-huh."

This made me realize just how bad mannered some people have become, especially in the customer service realm. In the course of my job I deal with vendors all the time, and I thank them for the service they provide my company. Since my son told me about this video, I can count on one hand the amount of times that one of my vendors replied to my "Thank you" with "You're welcome."

Have any of you noticed this also?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I noticed that many will respond with "no problem" instead of "you're welcome". I wonder if I'm the only person who is irritated by that.

W

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I have noticed lately that when I thank someone (usually for doing their job, like bagging my groceries) they say, "No problem."

WTF?

I think that 'no problem' has come to mean the equivalent of "you're welcome." But it doesn't feel the same at all.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

I usually respond with a, "NO! ; THANK YOU!" As in, I Thank the person back for being there to provide a service...

• luna2
    luna2

Hmmm, I'll have to pay better attention to what we're doing around here. I think I usually say "You're welcome" when thanked.

• juni
    juni

You're absolutely right on the target XJW4Ever. I, too, find it dismal. I always say "you're welcome". But you do get so many lax people who have no social manners.

As some said here, you get, "not a problem" or "no problem".

And it is getting worse. I think we're just getting so relaxed in our "casual" society that we forget common decency.

Juni

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I always tend to say "you're welcome" when someone thanks me, but I have noticed some of my work colleagues saying "no problem" instead. It doesn't sound as nice, somehow.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I don't work in customer service but in general I feel uncomfortable for some reason whenever someone thanks me for something. I have said "uh huh" instead of "thank you" most of the time, but this is something I will be aware of from now on. I didn't realize it seemed rude.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

There's nothing wrong with saying 'no problem'. I usually say, 'no problem, have a good one', especially if I just helped a customer fix a problem over the phone. I'd rather have someone competant help me with my groceries, fix my computer, wash my car and say 'no problem', rather than someone who is a fool, but more 'polite.' The words 'no problem' are way less arrogant, especially when working with colleages. 'You're welcome' has the tendency to sound smug, at least to me.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Just another side note. I was thinking that 'no problem', 'not a problem', or 'never a problem', especially in a service industry, denotes a willingness to perform that service again to the customer's satisfaction. A simple 'you're welcome' doesn't convey that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit