counsel to youth

by bluebeads 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Dune
    Dune

You sound alot like my brother, lol. I went through that when i first graduated from HS. Going to college is one of the best (if not THE best) things i've ever done for myself. I've only been in for two years and even though its hard i dont want it to end.

I'm glad to see that there are people other than me sticking it to the WTBS and going to college anyway. Congrats.

• bluebeads
    bluebeads

No I'm not baptised yet, i became a publisher when i was 15. Which is another reason why there is all this pressure on me. Creation of guilt trips on me every time i step into the kingdom hall.

The elders are always cornering my dad who is a ministerial servant and are constantly asking questions about me. It's so annoying and aggravating.

I feel like going up to them and questioning how they feel about their own 20 year old daughter who is getting married and she's dated the guy at the most 6 mos. Many scenarios like this occuring in my congregtion.

That just doesn't seem right to me. I know in certain cases ppl do fall in love young and it works out..... but i think if this organization is so hell bent on giving advice to young people about how to make their future happy and successful.... howcome marrying so young is ok but going to school isn't???

• Fleur
    Fleur
    My critical thinking and philosophy courses really helped me to see all the fallacies and illogical reasoning without scriptural backing (specifically in the watchtower) that is being published by the society

This is exactly why they don't want you in college!!! Or any other JW kid!

Marrying isn't 'really' okay...they want you to be single to do more in the work of the lord but if you can't control yourself and like any normal person want a sex life, they kind of take the swap that you create more future JW by marrying and so they really don't care much about anything else.

essie

• Kudra
    Kudra

wooo hooo bluebeads!

that's great- don't let them get you to stop!

Unfortunately I was one of those in a "1-yr secretarial course" (except it was a 2-yr preschool teaching course) but it never satisfied me so a few years later I went on to a university and now I am working on grad school (NOTHING to do with preschool teaching thank god)- you guys are so right -when you end up in classes where you actually have to think for yourself, all the WT's lies, illogical arguements and unscriptural "evidence" completely crumbles...

-Must be that cussed demonic "independent thinking"... ;)

**mad scientist class**

• Balsam
    Balsam

Bluebeard,

Good for you going to the University. Don't listen to the ppl at the congregation, they are ignorant and will continue to be so. Your doing the right thing getting an education. Welcome to the boards.

Balsam

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    No I'm not baptised yet

I'd keep it that way for now.

Whatever the wts say, they are unable to excercise any real control over you until you are baptised. The most they can do to you at the moment is to remove you as an unbaptised publisher, no big deal really.

• Warlock
    Warlock

So, Blue, are the elders going to pay your rent? Or when you get tired of renting, are they going to buy you a house? Are they going to provide your medical insurance? Or are you and your wife (when you get married) going to be without coverage when one of you develops a pre-existing condition and no one will cover you?

When you need a new car, are they going to buy it for you? Are you going to have to get deeply into debt, just to keep up with the ever increasing costs of just being alive, let alone having anything extra?

5 years from now are you going to find out that those same elders sent their kids to college, while telling you and your dad it's a bad thing?

Warlock

• bavman
    bavman
    but yet 20 year olds are getting married so damn young in this organization and they are getting praised just b/c they are pioneering...give it 10 years max and more than 75% of them are either separated or are struggling and catching their asses trying to make ends meet.

Yup, that was me....STAY IN SCHOOL AND DON'T GET MARRIED! Christ...I'm beginning to sound like some old guy or sumpin'

Good job and just keep telling everyone to back off. Your doing it right.

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

Way to go Bluebeads!

I agree with fullofdoubtnow, no rush to get baptised, Jesus certainly wasn't baptised in his teens. You will definitely not regret this decision. Any witness I know that pursued university despite constant criticism is laughing now. One friend of mine that was racked with guilt throughout his university career now acknowledges that it was the right thing to do (and is still an active witness). I'm finally going into university after ten years of being out of high school. I grew up with the "there is no point, this system will be over before you are out of high school" mentality and as a result my grades really suffered. I'm having to make up for that now. After ten years of janitorial work (not that there is anything wrong with it... just wasn't for me) and frustration from working in jobs that I didn't find even remotely intellectually stimulating (and don't pay the bills!) I decided to re-evaluate everything and go for it. Learn from my mistakes, stick with your conviction to stay in school (and have a blast doing it!). Best of luck!

FBF

• Forscher
    Forscher

What is there problem?
    The mother organization has declared it wrong and immoral for a witness to get an education as of last year. That is what is wrong as far as they are concerned. However, if it is sooo wrong, why is Ben Schreoder the son of the late Governing Body member Albert Schreoder in college? It can't be all that bad if the organization is paying for him to go. The organization itself pays for people to get a university education when it suits them. So they have no business telling the rank and file not to. THAT is hypocrisy!
    I did what I was told as a youngster and didn't go to college and ended up regretting it. After many years I finally went and got a bachelor's and I am looking into a graduate education right now. DON'T LET THEM STOP YOU!!
    And when they ask, just tell them you'd rather not talk about it. Its none of their business. I got some of that harrassment when I finally went. I simply told them that as long as I didn't do anything which made me subject to a committee hearing it was none of their business, period.
    Forscher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit