counsel to youth

by bluebeads 23 Replies latest jw friends

• bluebeads
    bluebeads

-> no higher education...i mean what the hell is wrong with these ppl?

I'm 19, i'm a publisher and screw that I' AM GOING TO UNIVERSITY!! just finished my 2nd year. It bothers me that lately there is sooo much counsel on not going to school but yet 20 year olds are getting married so damn young in this organization and they are getting praised just b/c they are pioneering...give it 10 years max and more than 75% of them are either separated or are struggling and catching their asses trying to make ends meet.

The degree i'm going for is not for prestige or anything and the graduates of this program are getting at least 5 job offers before they even graduate. It's a reasonable paying job and will allow me to be independent. But ppl at the KH make it out to be such a big effing deal. Every meeting someone is coming up to me and asking..

"So how many years do you have left?"

"What are you doing again?"

i tell them what i'm going to become...

"What is that?"

.....the sheer ignorance of these people..it's embarassing to say the least. They ALL very well know what I am doing b/c i'm the only young female in the area who isn't pioneering or going for a 1 year course to become a secretary. It's such a game and I know they are harassing me just to make me feel guilty..each time i answer them i just want to slap them upside the head..hahaha

What more can I say to get them to leave me the hell alone???

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    "What is that?"

If it doesn't fit in a bucket or involve carrying one then it's over their heads.

W

• kid-A
    kid-A

"I'm 19, i'm a publisher and screw that I' AM GOING TO UNIVERSITY!!"

Right on!!! Dont let these twits control your life and future. There is nothing more rewarding than University! You will love it and have the time of your life!

I loved it so much I continued on for my PhD, and while I was a broke student for a hell of a long time, it all paid off in the end!

• Warlock
    Warlock

Good for you, Bluebeads. You don't have to tell anyone anything. Just get your education now, so you don't regret it in 20 years. My daughter's about your age and she is going back to school, because she sees how her mother and I struggle financially. Go get that degree!

Warlock

• Fleur
    Fleur

Good for you! Keep up that education, it'll serve you well the rest of your life.

Welcome to the board!

essie

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

What more can I say to get them to leave me the hell alone???

Tell them you're taking a 4 year course on butterflies. You want to eventually write Awake articles on butterflies. How else do JWs get their college-equivalent Awake education?

You are very smart in your decision to do what is necessary for you to survive in life. The WTS has no clue what the real world is like. How can they? They're fully functional in the WT complex. They don't have to deal with the outside world. They don't go to work, they have no clue how much McDonalds pays, they don't know what rent costs, they don't know how high the cost of living is. They get their money from the donations. All they have to do is tell people not to go to college or university and the money rolls in.

Also, don't you find it stupid that they sent a letter to congregations looking for lawyers to work in Brooklyn with them? How the hell could there be any lawyers in the congregations when nobody should be getting more than a grade 12 education?

• sir82
    sir82
    The degree i'm going for is not for prestige or anything

No, no, no!

Haven't you been reading your Watchtowers? The ONLY reason anyone in the history of the universe has EVER gone to college is because (A) they are grotesquely materialistic, (B) are stupendously prideful, or (C) (more likely) both.

Just yankin' your chain, don't let the buggers get you down.

• bluebeads
    bluebeads

Thanks for the responses and I absolutely agree with everyone.

I love learning (i'm such a nerd), but it's also the people i've met there that have just really opened my eyes to what I've been missing out on. The relationships i have with my professors and fellow peers is much stronger than with the ppl i see 3 times a week in the congregation. I love being able to debate topics and hearing other interesting views about issues in the world.

My critical thinking and philosophy courses really helped me to see all the fallacies and illogical reasoning without scriptural backing (specifically in the watchtower) that is being published by the society. It makes me ill to sit in the watchtower study and see these people recite answers to the paragraph without even closely analyzing it to see if it makes any sense at all.

It's just nice to know that I can make a real difference in people's lives and knocking on doors isn't the only way to gain happiness and fufillment.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Good for you, don't let them guilt you out of it, and they will try. I lost count of the number of times I heard "pioneering is the best career choice you can make" from the platform.

By the way, you say you are a publisher, but are you baptised?

• moomanchu
    moomanchu
    I love being able to debate topics and hearing other interesting views about issues in the world.

My critical thinking and philosophy courses really helped me to see all the fallacies and illogical reasoning without scriptural backing (specifically in the watchtower) that is being published by the society.

See, they were right you are now practicing independent thinking because of your higher learning.

You'll become a character in a drama at the DC on how college causes ppl to leave Jehovah.

I graduated high school in 1980 I wasn't supposed to make it passed 7th grade.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit