Preaching to Children?

by lovelylil 19 Replies latest jw friends

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Today my daughter and her class went on a field trip which was a walking tour through Boston. Her class is made up of 12 and 13 year olds. While they were on the walk - a man approached my daughter with a small pamphlet. Without telling her what it was - he asked if she would like something to read. She said yes and he gave her a little Bible tract.

She showed this thing to me when she got home. My kids do not believe in hellfire nor that you have to be a Christian to be saved by God. Anyway, I won't go into that but while reading this, I noticed the "Fear Factor" of hell. It basically says if you do not repent, and turn to Jesus you will die and go to hell. Hell is highlighted with fiery flames coming out of the words.

This small tract is made just for kids - it looks like a little comic strip. Anyway, I was very mad at this and thought about why some people feel they have a right to give this kind of message to children? If I am the mother and decide not to scare my kids into religion, what right does anyone else have to do that?

There is an address on the back - should I write to them and express my thoughts. Also, how many here find it inappropriate to witness to minor children without their parents present?

• juni
    juni

Were you a JW, lovelylil?

Juni

• under_believer
    under_believer

Was it a Jack Chick tract? Sounds like one... That guy makes the JW's look like happy hour...

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

It wasn't a chick tract by any chance was it?

Those guys are plain sick. Very fundy beliefs - AV is the only one approved by God and the RC church is the whore of Babylon - you get the idea?

• juni
    juni
    Was it a Jack Chick tract?

UB - I feel like I'm living on a deserted island here. What is that tract?

Juni

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

http://www.chick.com/default.asp

juni - make sure you have something to catch the puke!

• lowden
    lowden

Lil

You should write to them if you have the time IMO. Short and sweet. I'm not personally into Christianity anymore or god for that matter. This type of proselytising though is nothing short of disgusting. It's filth with the hellfire thing included. Fundamentalist freaks.

Peace

Lowden

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

If it was anything like the link I've just been to (thanks Emo), I would write to them. Such sick people.

• juni
    juni

So there's a Jack Chick religion? They call their followers the Chicklets? (as in "gum")

Thanks for the warning.

Juni

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

juni,

I was a JW pioneer for 12 years but a very unorthodox one I must say. I never told people they had to come into the organization to be saved, nor taught my kids that. I never taught that they were the only way to God - I believed Jesus was the way to God for Christians and I believed that since I was a small child. I had many bible studies but never brought anyone into the org. because I could not claim they had the only truth.

You can imagine the situation I was in. I think I only joined the Witnesses because I bought into the whole world-wide brotherhood which I found out later was a total sham. I always looked for some spiritual support as my views have always been different from the rest of my family. I decided on my own to leave the Roman Catholic Church I was baptised into at age 12 - against my families strong objections.

When I became a witness - at age 22, my Catholic family refused to speak to me for 14 years. Then 2 years ago when I decided not to be a Witness, my JW friends of 14 years stoped speaking to me so in one day I lost everyone I held dear to me all at once. Again. Thank God, my Catholic family came around but only when they heard I was not a JW anymore. I forgave them completely and we are in contact again. Do you know who did all these things to me and my family?

Some may say God or Jesus - I say man, and his religion! Right now my faith in God and Christ is even stronger than ever. I feel that Jesus himself called me out of false religious institutions forever - if he can do that for me and wishes to call my kids, he will do that too. If I made my choice to leave the Catholics at 12 and felt I was mature enough, knowing full well the consequences, then my kids deserve the same chance I had to make their own decision. And I would never treat them like my family treated me if they decide to join a different faith or none at all.

I know in my heart and through my faith that if he is not calling them to be in him now, he will help them when he arrives to rule. And I know they will respond to the kingdom message then. Christ is coming to break down all these religions made by man that oppress, cheat, hurt, breakdown, and abuse people who are just trying to do what they think is right and that is worship God. But one thing he is not going to do is to destroy all these good people just because they do not see things his way at this time. I mean how many really could when religions that claim they are from God do so much evil?

Sorry for rambling - but I never as a witness would talk to a child about religion without a parent there. I had many parents ask me to teach their kids about God but would never use scare tactics on adults so why would I do that to a child? I think the thing I most disagree with that happened today is that your religion is a personal matter and families can make that decision for themselves and that these people tried to use the hellfire fear to scare my kid into believing what they do. Only because I taught my children otherwise, this did not scare my daughter. But I have to think, what about someone elses kid?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit