Preaching to Children?

by lovelylil 19 Replies latest jw friends

• under_believer
    under_believer

juni, it's not really a religion. He's just a hateful elderly man that makes and publishes hate-tracts in comic book form. Lots of fundamentals love his stuff and order it for their "witnessing" purposes though.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I was just browsing one of the anti-Catholic tracts and found this little bit of nonsense:

For the record:

1) There is no evidence that Babylon was ever the "religious center of the world".

2) Baal was worshipped in Canaan and Phoenicia, not in Babylon.

3) Baal was a rain god, not a sun god.

4) WTF does Baal have to do with confession and penance?

• loosie
    loosie

I certainly would Lil. I would tell them how wrong you feel that it is. They have no right to do that.

• juni
    juni

Good evening lil. I know you are an hour later than we so I hope you can read this tonight. Wow! What a personal account. I applaud you for your personal conviction. I wish that I would've had an ounce of it while a JW as far as kids go and of course all the rest. I always felt out of place talking to the kids at the door which we were told to do even before asking if parents were home. I just followed the org.'s words like an idiot.

With my own kids, I gave them no choice. None of them are baptized today, thank goodness, and I've been out nearly 14 years. But there is definite, long lasting harm done to kids in this religion. They lose out on a normal childhood. They are expected to be miniature adults. God, I wish I could turn back time. Fortunately, my kids and their families and I have a wonderful relationship. We have great times together and now I experience with them and their children the happy times we missed out on as a family. They have expressed to me that they know that I was doing what I thought was best for them. Oh yes, we've shed a lot of tears together.

Thank you for your letter. I wish you and your family peace and happiness.

Juni

• blondie
    blondie

Even as a JW I would never "preach" to minor children (under 18). Even if it was obvious they were older but lived at home, I just came back when the parents were there. Some JWs felt differently and I saw one chased off the porch by the parent tossing the tract at the JW. I would teach any child to refuse any material from a stranger. I don't even like the idea of them answering the door to a stranger if the parents are not home or asleep.

Blondie

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

blondie, I am with you. I also give my kids the same advice. I was a little surprised too that this man was able to walk up to my daughter and speak to her while on a school field trip. A teacher was supposed to be monitering the kids.

I would never approach a child on the street like that, especially in today's world. I told my daughter she should not be too trusting like that. Next time she should put her hand out say no thanks and walk away.

I mostly hate the fact that they used the hellfire. While my kids know better, I was thinking about other kids who can be scared. I grew up in the Catholic church and they taught hellfire, I was scared to go to sleep at night because I thought if I died, I would be going to hell. That was thanks to my abusive father who told me how bad I was all the time.

As far as I know, the Catholic church as since come out and said their is no literal burning hell but hell is seperation from God, so I give them credit for that.

The JWs use the eternally destroyed angle but it it for the same purpose which is to scare people into their organization.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I will think about it for a few days and then write them a short note explaining how I felt as a parent that they used the hellfire in a kiddie tract and why I strongly disagree with it. Lilly

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

Lovelylil,

When we took my sons to the Big Apple Circus on Easter in Boston there were the wierd crazy born again zealots outside handing out tracts to everyone who would take them. Government Center was littered with them! These people don't really care if they hurt people or scare children, they are only interested in their " Mission."

Some of these same creepy people are the same ones who scream at the devil in Harvard Square.

I tell my sons never to take anything from a stranger or anyone without asking Mom or Dad. Nothing...no candy, books, anything. My 6 year old always asks....even if its my mom or our friends he asks - Can I have this or he'll say...I have to ask my Mom first.

And on to childhood preaching in the WTS. My MIL and SIL's tried to do it for years (I've complained about it here too many times) , they know if they want to see our children religion is a no no. I think they have given up for now. They know if they say something, I will shoot it right down with my Apostate thinking...and they don't want to hear it because what I am saying they have no answers for...LOL!

Best Regards,

Chrystal

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Lilly

If it was a chsick tract, I can already guess what they'll say if they bother to reply to you. It will probably be one or both of these:

"We only publish, we aren't responsible for who distributes them or to whom." (the 'get out' clause)

"Well yes, the true gospel message may seem unpalatable but that's how it is. Would you rather your children spend an eternity in hell...blah blah blah...." (where have we heard that one before? )

Then again, we may be surprised! It would be interesting if you could post the reply you get though. Good luck.

This thread also got me wondering if we could get his filth banned from the UK for inciting religious hatred. Hmmm....

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Thank emo and Crystal,

I am going to keep this tract and write a letter. When and if I get a reply to this, I will post it for all to see. Lilly

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Thanks for that cartoon Leolaia. Such nonsense couldn't be farther from the truth. But if a tract says it, I guess we really have to believe it right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit