What picture haunts you?

by unique1 25 Replies latest jw friends

• unique1
    unique1

I saw this partially on another thread and thought it deserved a thread of its own.

What picture from the publications haunts you or scared you as a child?

Oddly enough I wasn't scared of the distruction pictures, I guess because I knew as a faithful little servent I would survive. The picture that scared me the most was in the Bible Stories book. It was of the copper snake staff. If the isralites didn't look at the staff they would be bitten by snakes. The picture showed all these people lying in pain with the snakes biting them and a few that actually obeyed. I would be so scared there might be snakes on the floor when I woke up at night that I would scream for my mom until she came and turned the lights on so I could see there were no snakes before going to the bathroom. I still can't look at pictures of snakes.

• gumby
    gumby

This one and the big crack one

• jojochan
    jojochan

That book actually creeped me out when I was a little jojochan. But the one pic that scared me to tears was the one of lots wife when she turned into a pillar of salt just cause she looked back.

How it was drawn, was just so, so creepy.

And also how jesus was impailed on the stake. The look of pain and torture on his face and his eyes, with the blood coming down from his hands.

And THAT was geared towards kids....no wonder I'm screwed up.

I would NEVER do that to my child...IF I ever had one.

jojochan.

• unique1
    unique1

Wow Gumby, I don't think I have ever seen those. Must have been an older book than the bible stories I am used to.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The Paradise Lost book piccies of Armageddon and the picture of Jonah in My Book of Bible Stories (I have a whale phobia).

• gumby
    gumby
    I have a whale phobia

*tries to scare leolaia*

• Warlock
    Warlock

So we can call you Gumjonah?

Warlock

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Perhaps I was some how desensitized to them, but when I was a kid I never thought much about the pictures. It wasn't until after I left the Watchtower Society and saw people talking about how, as children, they were very scared of the pictures.

The same goes with the idea of billions of people being killed at Armageddon. Growing up with that kind of talk around me all of the time I thought it was "normal" and thought nothing of it.

I'm still trying to figure out if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Depends on how sensitive you are. Remember the Revelation calender? My daughter was so terrified she didn't want one in her room. Me, Mr. BlindDub really couldn't see why she was so scared, but I just got her a different calender.

Warlock

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

LOL, you gumdam Gumbastard! Had to squint my eyes to look at it, but its okay cuz it's only killer whales.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit