Anyone have pictures scanned from the Paradise book?

by Apostate Kate 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Talking about it with my friend tonight brought back memories too. We had to repress so much. The pictures were so horrid for children to look at. Where were the calming lullaby poems and cute cuddly animal pictures? We got babies being burned alive.....sighs....

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Blondie,

Thanks for that picture Blondie, that is the that i remember from when i was a child, but have not seen it for probably 25 years. I wrote about it recently. I used to have recurring nightmares about falling off a cliff, and I used to wonder everytime I saw this picture how far they had to fall before the hit the bottom and died.

Do earthquakes really swallow people up like that?

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Brainwashing the witnesses has been happening for a very long time . Seeing pictures can and has caused alot of damage mentally and emotionally to some witnesses. Sad to say, this fear has lead many to commit suicide.

I was also bothered as a teenager by the picture of the earth openning up and swallowing the so called evil. It was a picture that kept me on the close and narrow path. What horrific pictures to show young ones. Rather then teaching young ones or all for that matter that God is a God of love and that he cares for us, the society preyed on the fear factor to make ones obedient to the organization.

Give me a picture of Jesus sitting down and having all the children around him. That was what I always wanted to recall in my mind. Or of him being a shepherd in a field tending lovingly to the flock.

Orangefatcat.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

This morning it is really hitting me how gruesome it all was. I love children so much and would never consider showing them pictures like this. When mine were young I would cover their eyes if we were watching a movie and there was any violence at all.

Thank you for the pictures, I hope it helps my friend a bit to desensitise. I used to have bad panic attacks when going through this stuff.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

The Paradise Lost book was the first book that my mom studied with my brother and me. I don't recall being disturbed by the illustrations. I guess that I was just too young to truly grasp the concepts involved. Or it may be that we were being taught to hate other people in a very subtle manner. Kind of like desensitization.
    One picture I remember was of the water canopy around the earth before the flood. Anyone have a scan of that?
    Dave

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

When I was young, I would have nightmares of that baby sacrificing idol. One horrific dream, I was awake, and got up, and stood face to face with it. I shared a bedroom with my older brother, a he had one over stooping over him.

It's kinda funny how churches and religion have been doing this for hundreds of years.

steve

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I too grew up reading (or looking at the pictures) in that pinkish 'Paradise' book. *shudder*

I remember the 'destruction' drawings near the end of it.

I also remember the other drawings... those of Jezebel... that gal riding the 'wild beast'... I kinda liked the way they looked... all seductive and such.

Guess I was kinda 'bad' from way back, eh? *sly grin*

Regards,

Jim TX

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate
    It's kinda funny how churches and religion have been doing this for hundreds of years

Not to change the subject but I don't know of any doing this to children today. I was a Sunday School Superintendent and dealt with just about ALL mainstream ciriculum available today. I assure you, no mainstream churches today would ever use this type of terror on a child. It is unthinkable.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.jhm.org/

John Hagee, saw a bit of his technique yesterday. Fire and brimstone and scaring kids is right up his alley.

Blondie

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Actually mainstream Christians consider Hagee to be part of the charismania movement. He deviates from the Nicene Creed.

My husband is certified with Child Evangelism Fellowship, a 75 year old ministry for children. There is none of that in CEF now. My husband when a child would be picked up in the church bus, taken to CEF Sunday school, where he still remembers the fun and the songs he was taught. I remember the fear and the pictures and the hours of indoctrination and little children being beaten in the bathrooms.

"Another gospel" was started by the freaky Kathrine Kuhlman. Benny Hinn and Hagee are followers of hers. We have to separate those who deviate from the gospel of grace, to the gospel of fear. It is not fair to the beloved Christian leaders who have never taught hate, fear and terrorised children.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit