Assembly/Convention Likes and Dislikes

by KW13 16 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

My hobby was to walk around and spot pretty girls not a spiritual endevour in a spiritual gathering but it was a slap in the face for the hypocritical JWs. They are not the kind of people to have license to moralise.

I can imagine what it was like in the hot parts of the USA and other hot countries having to sit there in searing heat without air conditioning.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Damn, I'm old! I remember the most delicious hot meals prepared at the conventions WAY back in the OLD days. I remember making a couple hundred cupcakes with my mom to take to the St. Croix circuit assembly in 1967. I remember the ladies coming in early with their huge cast iron frying pans to make fried chicken and a big pot for goat stew (I'm still reminiscing in the Virgin Islands). I remember homemade biscuits and the wonderful smell of coffee brewing in the morning. And those metal trays that had to be hand-washed afterward! Interesting thing is I don't remember anyone getting sick from that food, but oh my goodness, when they went to the prepared meats there were many incidences of illness after or during the convention.

At the 1963 Rose Bowl convention, I got to help my mom cut up fresh, tree-ripened nectarines for a fruit salad for the convention. Mmmm, the aroma was wonderful and I was young enough that I didn't mind being covered in the sticky juice.

Nina

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

ha ha,

i used to like oggling the good looking girls... that is all

the rest was ass... especially the randoms that didnt know me but would wake me from my slumber!!!

-the infamous one

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Best parts about the convention:

I'll admit it... The Drama. It was more entertaining thatn seeing a guy stand in front of a microphone. Also, any demonstration. Lunch breaks were great to go drule over the hott virgins and explore the convention center. I always started to get excited on Sunday when I'd hear "Brothers, do we not appreciate this fine spiritual feast the FDS has provided for us?" YES! It's almost over! The final Amen gave me a feeling like a ton of bricks had been lifted off my shoulder.

And yeah, those roast beef sandwiches were AWESOME! I loved the barbeque sauce they came with. When the food arrangement was abolished, that's when I had to eat my mother's crappy cooking. The appeal of the conventions REALLY went down the toilet at that point.

The WORST parts of it:
    - Wasting a whole weekend in the smelly convention center
    - My ass hurting from the hard seats
    - THE WATCHTOWER SUMMARY. Oh, how I HATED the Watchtower summary. It was so goddam boring, and I considered it to be the WORST part of the convention. 40 minutes of hearing some guy ramble from the Watchtower. I was never on the right page because I was SO BORED and daydreaming. Why can't we just skip the Watchtower on the weekend of the convention? Or do half the week before and half the week after? That would make more sense than a stupid boring summary.

- The last prayer is ALWAYS a killer.
    - The lunch line
    - The baptism talk
    - Pretty much everything else during the whole 3 days
    - The fourth day always sucked ass. Three days would wear you out, but four would make you feel like you were beaten with a 2x4. I never been so exhausted than when I sat for 4 days straight.

I'm so thankful that I don't attend the convention anymore. Also, according to Lee, the new convention location (one hour away) is a real pit.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Do you remember the fried chicken on white bread? mmmmm. The only thing that could be better is if you were lucky enough to get the meal from the bottom of the container when the bread and grease from the fried chicken merged into on solid white mass.

I miss the good ole' days.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    i used to like oggling the good looking girls... that is all

Ha! I agree, that's all they were good for.

Dislikes are numerous, especially wasting three days of your life, sitting in absolute boredom. JW lifestyle promotes obesity, IMHO. At least Jesus had the decency to make it short and sweet, just look at the Sermon at the Mount.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

Assembly / Convention dislikes - just the whole bloody thing!

I went along with it for so long only because I thought that there must be something wrong with me:

-like there was a point I (and only I) was somehow missing.

After all, everybody else was forever prattling on about how "upbuilding" the assembly was. To my everlasting disgust, it took along while to wake up to what a charade the whole thing really was (similarities to the old story about the "Emperor's New Clothes").

Jack. Diploma in Idiocy, Awake University, Blockhead Campus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit