what is the definition of a christian?

by sinamongurl 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I've been studying contemporary religions for the last few years, too. IMHO there's little incompatible to the main precepts of the major faiths. They all attempt to help people connect to the Divine. How Christianity differs is two-fold: It's actually simpler than most (simply believe) but simultaneously harder (how do I believe, and what kind of mental cases are all these Christians anyway?).

Interesting. For some, belief is perhaps the most difficult thing to ask.

Consider: if every day at 4 o'clock a 900 pound gorilla kicked in your door and beat you within an inch of your life, wouldn't you start to get a bit anxious when the clock read 3:59? Couple that with something I heard at a seminar once given by a psychologist who specilized in adult survivors of abuse. She put forth her theory that when a child first learns of the concept of God, they will often think of it in terms of a genie or Santa Claus and they may pray for some toy or some other prize. When, of course, that prayer is unanswered they process it, and shrug it off. When a child of abuse goes through the same dynamic, they will ask for one thing: Please make it stop. When that prayer goes unanswered, the impact is tremendous. It is an empty, lonely feeling.

The idea of grace is tempting, very tempting, and yet I need more (for lack of a better term) proof before I can go so far. And so I'm nosing around listening and taking in what I can. I want to understand spirituality before this life is over. I can't help but feel I'm missing something.

Btw, I concede that you have better legs than me, but I've got the walk and the range of British accents to go with it

Bloody hell.

Okay, point conceded.

When I got so ruddy ticked at you LOL; Remember?? ((((HUGS))) I was rebelling against MEN!!!!!HA!HA!

Good for you! Thomas Jefferson once said: "A little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing." Sometimes I think the world might be a better place if women were in charge. Elaine Boosler once said that if women were in charge, there would be no war. Only very intense negotiations every 28 days.

Yes I do remember. And she and I have worked through it. We shared a common experience in our past, and both of us understood that the worst scars are those not seen by others.

But since your struggling to KNOW what the heck it is all about I aint gonna tell ya!!!!

I'm coming to believe that one function of this life is what we learn. I think it's a very individual process. My answers would not necessarily work for someone else. Still I think there are some truths that are universal, that are needed before we can move forward.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    I'm coming to believe that one function of this life is what we learn. I think it's a very individual process. My answers would not necessarily work for someone else. Still I think there are some truths that are universal, that are needed before we can move forward.

Ahhh, Glasshopper, now you are understanding, no?

Belief may be hard to attain, but it's wonderful when you do, a la "Amazing Grace" (which incidentally wasn't my suggestion at that Fest).

• parakeet
    parakeet

little toe, "So a Christian is a mimic?"
    A christian who adheres to the forms of Jesus's teaching and not to the substance misses the point. But I think there are many who are christian in the truest sense.
    I'm sure Jesus had personal relationships with his disciples, but I don't think it follows that after his death one can have a "personal relationship" with him. He's been dead for 2000 years!
    BTW, I'm a sort of atheist/taoist/pagan hybrid.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

If he were just dead then you might have a point, but the whole ethos of Christian belief rests on him still being alive. Not just the death, but also the empty grave, as many of us will attest to.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I don't think it's essential to believe in the resurrection (or any other doctrine) to see the value in what Jesus said and did, and to live by it.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Ahhh, Glasshopper, now you are understanding, no?

My first step was realizing how little I actually knew and understood.

But I ain't shaving my head.

Belief may be hard to attain, but it's wonderful when you do, a la "Amazing Grace" (which incidentally wasn't my suggestion at that Fest).

Most impressive. On several levels. Should I start calling you "Master"?

Well all I can say is it had nothing to do with your playing. Actually I would've preferred any other piece of music!

Chris

• headmath
  • mouthy
    mouthy

Not just the death, but also the empty grave, as many of us will attest to.

Amen to that... If HE is dead ...Who is helping me manage??? I am better off, happier, loved,as I have NEVER been in my whole life... HONEST.... You wouldnt believe it if I told you how prayers are answered....So no point in telly ya!!! Yes some was not answered the way I wanted -but after awhile I realised WHY!!!!

• greendawn
    greendawn

A Christian believes in Jesus as the saviour that releases mankind from slavery to sin which brings death. It stands for a culture of the spirit that resists instinctual gratification in order to let develop the spiritual side of man.

Many ancient Greek philosophers were also anti-instinct but it was Christianity that really pursued this issue.

• Shazard
    Shazard

Common. It is so simple. Christian is one who believes in Jesus Christ and has relationship with him as his big brother, saviour, king, friend, helper, protector etc. And "believe in Jesus Christ" is to believe in his Words and to believe that his Words are sayed to you personally. And to believe that he is Son of God. That is ethernal life! As Jesus Christ is ethernal life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit