what is the definition of a christian?

by sinamongurl 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• parakeet
  • parakeet
  • sinamongurl
    sinamongurl

Tex--

i agree with u on alot of points that u mentioned, although i do not know of ur story......i believe in god as the one to be worshipped and that he doesnt work thru any given religion.....i, too, will never be associated with a religion because of my jw experience.....i have alot of spiritual rather than religous beliefs....ex: new age, gnostic, researching past lives, and so on.....the only law given as a "christian" is to love our neighbors as ourselves....if we do that, what else is there

Mouthy--thanks for your point of view.....r u still part of the organization?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Chris:
    I've been studying contemporary religions for the last few years, too. IMHO there's little incompatible to the main precepts of the major faiths. They all attempt to help people connect to the Divine. How Christianity differs is two-fold: It's actually simpler than most (simply believe) but simultaneously harder (how do I believe, and what kind of mental cases are all these Christians anyway?).

Btw, I concede that you have better legs than me, but I've got the walk and the range of British accents to go with it

Pete:
    I hope folks appreciate the value of what you've just stated

KK:I'll try to sum up all your questions in this: I was raised as a JW, as you know, so the idea of praying to Christ was anathema to me as you only pray to God, right? When I finally did the walls came tumbling down. The rest was a rollercoaster of discovery that led to one of the cleanest mental breaks from a religion known to mankind

I may have lots of big words and religious language, but when it boils down to it the only message that I would stake my life on is "love and trust Christ".

LT, of the "hang-up-less" class.

• Shining One
    Shining One

>what does christian mean anyway? doesnt it mean a follower of christ.....a man?
    Jesus is God: He claimed to be God; He made Himself equal to God; The Messiah expected by the Jews was God; early Christians worshipped Jesus and proclaimed Him God. That about covers His deity. A follower of Christ is someone who has made a personal, heartfelt profession to belief in Him as the savior of their own soul. See Romans 6:23; John 3:3,5,16; 1 Cor. 5:15; 15:4-10; Eph. 2: 8-10; Romans 10:9-11, 13.
    Rex

• mouthy
    mouthy

Mouthy--thanks for your point of view.....r u still part of the organization?

Absolutly NOT!!!!!! I dont attend any religious place at all I do believe religion is the opium of the people

Chris if you know how many times I have thought of you..... LOL!!! When I got so ruddy ticked at you LOL>>>> Remember?? ((((HUGS))) I was rebelling against MEN!!!!!HA!HA!
    But since your struggling to KNOW what the heck it is all about>>>> I aint gonna tell ya!!!! I am going to start talking to my Friend about you.... He works magic -if the person is REALLy wanting to feel HIS LOVE....
    It isnt like the one we had with our wives, husbands, kids, friends,although I have to admit I liked that on occasions>when he wasnt beating me up for being a JW...
    It is a calm love- that even when I screw up ( yes I still do) i know he loves me SO much that he forgave me. Just as I do with my grand kids. & believe me I have some things to forgive them for But I have a cupboard full of cards & letters telling me ( from them) how much they were greatful for my helping them out when they got into trouble.You know their Mum died & their Dad dont bother with them He to is an unbeliever ( so I think if you DONT have LOVE!!!! you cant really forgive anything) when I blasted you I had NOT forgiven MEN!!!! Now I love em all. Love ya Chris & hope your doing well (((((HUGS)) big-ens

• Shining One
    Shining One

Pete,
    >elitist, dogmatic definitions
    "I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the father except by me" John 14:6. I am the True Vine; I am the Good Shepherd; I am the light of the world; I am the bread of life; If you do not believe I Am, you will die in your sins; Before Abraham was born I Am; I am the resurrection and the life. Jesus clearly laid out the 'ground rules' for belief that qualifies as 'Christian'. It's that simple, if you don't like it so be it. Anyone who compromises one iota from that are not Christians. Yes, it's exclusive because truth itself is exclusive. I hope this clarifies exactly what is entailed to be a true follower of Christ. It's not some weak, compromising, selfish or sweet reality. It's as radical as anything can get.
    Rex

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Rex:So the merciful grace of the gospel isn't a compromise of absolute justice, then?

• parakeet
    parakeet

Sorry about the blank posts! Kept hitting the wrong button.
    My definition of a christian is someone who tries to imitate the substance of what Jesus did and taught, not his specific actions and words. Jesus was a rebel, someone who saw the hypocrisy in his society and tried to do something about it. He upset the status quo, defied religious conventions and traditions, and stressed love for humanity as the primary principle to live by.
    IMO, Jesus would scorn the forms his teachings have taken over the centuries--organized, dogmatic, massive hierarchies that profess to follow his footsteps, but in reality are concerned more with retaining their power and wealth than with helping the poor. The mindless reciting of Jesus' prayers, the various imitations of the last supper, the ludicrous ceremony of pontiffs washing the feet of a pauper once a year--all these are empty shells of love that have nothing to do with the reality of what Jesus taught.
    I don't believe Jesus was trying to establish religions and cults in his name, nor was he looking to develop a "personal relationship" with people. I believe he was trying to open everyone's eyes to the reality of the present--to turn people's minds toward ferreting out greed and fear in their society and to turn their hands toward helping those who are oppressed by the powerful.
    Anyone--Buddhist, atheist, pagan, you name it--who lovingly and selflessly tries to help others, even if it means going against authority, law, and tradition, is a christian, by my definition. Anyone who merely observes traditions, attends church, recites prayers, but does nothing to help others in distress is playacting at being christian.
    Buddhists have a saying: "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him!" It means that when you have learned the lessons of your master, it's time to part from the master and make your own path in the world. You don't need to keep looking back at the lessons Jesus taught; you need to make it your own and move on.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Paraket:
    Good post. You put your perspective well So a Christian is a mimic?

I don't believe Jesus was trying to establish religions and cults in his name, nor was he looking to develop a "personal relationship" with people.

"Peter, do you love me?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit