Young witness disfellowshipped for having a mental illness

by What-A-Coincidence 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Nice to see that the assholes follow their own advice:

w99 5/15 p. 26 The Christian Congregation—A Source of Strengthening Aid ***

Of course, the congregation’s body of elders is not a staff of professional therapists or health practitioners, able to cure physical or mental health problems faced by fellow believers. In this system of things, the ailing still "need a physician." (Luke 5:31)

g04 9/8 p. 21 When Someone You Love Has a Mental Disorder ***

Become

informed. People with mental disorders usually have limited capacity to research their own condition. Hence, the information you gather from current and reliable sources can help you to understand what your loved one is going through. It can also help you to talk openly and knowledgeably with others........ Encourage the sufferer to seek help. Those with mental disorders may not realize that they need help. You might suggest that the sufferer see a particular doctor, read some useful articles, or have a conversation with someone who has successfully managed a similar disorder. It may be that your loved one is not receptive to your advice. But by all means intervene if someone in your care is at risk of harming himself or others.
  • What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Guys, thank you very much.

This occured 1 year ago.

What bites me the most is that the congregation/family supports the Elders stupid decision instead of supporting this poor kid. They would see this different if their kid was suffering with the same illness. Such bastards. I know deep down they know the elders were wrong, you can just tell.

The kid is not sure of wanting to go back. He said he wants to go to college. I told him, go for it! I'll support you.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Well done WAC, you showed genuine compassion, something many elders seem to lack.

I do hope the young man is better now.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Read his story in the Maine Times [text version] A: Yes, one ex-member approached me; it had taken her five years to get deprogrammed. And the pastor from this Unitarian church came over and chatted with me. She said she had counseled other Jehovah’s Witnesses who had left. Nobody likes Jehovah’s Witnesses except other Jehovah's Witnesses. Half the city councilors know me by name. The cops all know me as a safe person. The mental health system knows me. If [the Jehovah's Witnesses] say, this guy's crazy, he's a mental case," -- well, yeah, I’ve got a mental health history. It was caused by them.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Happened to my cousin's bi-polar son, too. She did tell me that she felt that the elders had "learned a lot" from the situation, and they'd handle other mentally ill JWs with more compassion.

Isn't that nice? They were able to suffer, and their son was shunned, so that some window-washers could "learn" about how to deal with mental illness.

She doesn't even see the problem. Arrgh!

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I really wonder how many depressed and MI people have been killed indirectly by the stupid men who serve as "elders".

I was emotionally done with the "truth" when I learned that MI is NO excuse, or even mitigating factor, in whether someone will be disfellowshipped. NONE.

Just so any lurkers are unclear about this: if your child attempts suicide, or has other emotional issues that result in their acting out with sex, drugs, etc; they will be thrown out with no consideration for their mental being. None at all; they won't even call the brothers at the service desk unless you hound them.

So your child will now still have the emotional issues, still trying to believe in the "truth" even when the elders have kicked them to the curb, and will have to face shunning when they are at the lowest emotional point in their life.

And if you are a strict witness, you will have to shun them too. And if they suicide, YOUR friends won't come to the funeral.

Wouldn't Jesus be proud?

• Balsam
    Balsam

What-a-concidence your awesome. The comfort you brought that family from your visit is just unimaginable. The simple act of love and appreciation for the suffering can be so healing. Good for you being willing to help that young man.

Balsam

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

The kid is not sure of wanting to go back. He said he wants to go to college. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Despite all his problems, sounds like he has a better head on his shoulders than most JW's in good standing. Hope he turns out okay. Good job WAC. -silent

• wednesday
    wednesday

It's terriible the way they treat people, and I hope this young man will use this chance to go to college and get a life of his own. In the real world he can see a therapist. Most university's have several on campus. He might even be able to get help form the state rehab prgram to pay for college due to his illness.

One way you can help him now is help him ffind a support group, not online (although they do help) but one where people meet and see each other in real life. It can be a real help to him to be with others who also have mental illness and find out you are not alone.

• LDH
    LDH

Is it really fair to a 15 year old to shun them like this?

My daughter is 16. I try to imagine if everyone she knew suddenly acted like she didn't exist.

How sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit