Young witness disfellowshipped for having a mental illness

by What-A-Coincidence 20 Replies latest jw friends

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

This is was very hard swallow. I know of a family who has suffered tremendously when their son (15) came down with a mental illness - he cuts himself, has intended suicide 5 times. He hard a hard time dealing with so many issues that he at one point told the elders I don't want to have anything to do with the Jehovah's. Guess what happens next? "X is no longer a Jehovah's Witness" WTF?

Right away when I left bethel i went to visit them. I knew he was dfed. I gave him a hug. His brothers and sisters (the fam.) sat around and we talked and they reminded me that he is dfed. I said I know, don't worry about it. In Bethel, I knew of many elders who made many mistakes, and the one made here is a major one. Anyway, the family was happy I dropped by.

I told the father that most elders are not trained in matters of mental health and to stay away from those that try to counsel them.

WAC - your friendly neighboorhood apostate.

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

How sad! What's happening now with this person? Is there any way you can help him now?

Mental illness is part and parcel with the JW-system. When I was an elder, we visited a mental ward where 4 JW’s were. 25+% of all JW's are on some kind of dope for depresson in the western world I believe (judging from my experience, but no hard evidence except for the congo's I was in). The JW-system produces people with very grave mental problems. My brother (an elder), wife (an elderese), and one of his kids (of 3) are all medicated for depression! He no longer talks to me because I poked his worship of the “O” and GB! I wish you the best on your journey my friend! PLEASE find your way out of the cult!

• Highlander
    Highlander

Good for you WAC. With caring apostates as yourself showing true love and care for those in the congregations, shows just how messed up the kingdumb really is.

25+% of all JW's are on some kind of dope for depresson

Yes, we can't prove but I agree with that. Also, when you add in alcohol usage along with those that use prozac, zoloft, etc, then I think the numbers are higher than 25 percent

regarding those using some form mood altering drug.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Good form, WAC.

• Cady
    Cady

Good for you WAC. And I agree that a lot of JWs are on anti-depression meds, I'd say prob higher than the 25%. But you know, tell ppl they should be the happiest ppl in the world - give them a life with no choices and big surprise, it sucks - then blame them for not being happy...

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Well done WAC, it is a shame elders like you that put love ahead of company policy do not last long in the organisation.

Kingdom Ministry 2002 p.1 The Happiest People on Earth “Happy is the people whose God is Jehovah!” (Ps. 144:15) Those words describe Jehovah’s Witnesses as the happiest people on earth. There is no greater joy than that which comes from serving the only true and living God, Jehovah. Since he is “the happy God,” those who worship him reflect his delight. (1 Tim. 1:11)

Watchtower 1961 May 15 p.297 Rejoicing in New World Associations

“It is therefore not strange that so many people in the world take note of the happiness of Jehovah’s people. Indeed, it is a factor that draws many persons to associate with us.”

I guess if you tell it to yourself often enough it must be true

• Panda
    Panda

I truly hope that anyone who knows about this situation will question what the heck kind of CHRISTIAN organisation this is, and then get out.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Well done for compassion, WAC .

I agree that based on anecdotal evidence and observation, there is a higher level of "Stress" & anxiety related illnesss among "Jehovah's happy people", compared to the real world.

I can remember a comment at an elders school about dealing with judicial cases where a defence was raised that the person acted out of mental intability. The instructor said that if a person was competant to live in the community without constant nursing care , we should treat them the same as anybody else.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

they df-ed me for having a mental illness too

of course i was older more mature and had no previous incidents of mental breakdown

so thats alright then

bastards

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Hi What-A-Coincidence,
    How long ago did this incident take place? I was under the impression that they were taking an softer line on mental illness nowadays.
    Eyeslice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit