Ok all you French Canadians.....

by zeroday 21 Replies latest jw friends

• zeroday
    zeroday

Poutine.....

I have been to Quebec a couple of times and have had it in Mcdonalds. I'm sure it was not the cream de la cream. So help me make some here in Tennessee that will do it justice. Oh, and we'll probably have to make it southern and put some pig fat in it.

• damselfly
    damselfly

Blech! to McDonalds poutine. Sorry that was your introduction to it ;-)

You need some nice crispy french fries, a good beef gravy and mozzarella cheese curds. Home fries are really good. Pile the fries on the plate, pile the cheese curds on top of the fries and then drench the whole thing in piping hot gravy so the cheese melts and gets all gooey.
    You can use grated mozza if you can't find curds. Do NOT use those coated/batter dipped french fries they will just get all soggy.

Dams (not French Canadian)

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

No one knows the precise origin Where or when this food did begin Everybody in Québec will tell you with a grin It was their little village that invented the poutine To be really authentic the potatoes must be old The gravy must be hot and the cheese must be cold With a journal de Montréal wherever it is sold Served with a roll in a bowl by a troll You put some potatoes and some cheese in a tin But the cheese won't melt till you put the gravy in Then it sticks to your fork and dribbles down your chin And that's how you know that you're eating a poutine If the French fries are greasy and the gravy's nice and hot The cheese curds melt as they come out of the pot But once in your stomach they congeal into a knot If your food does that then poutine is what you've got Some use mozzarella but that isn't really it And they serve it at McDonalds but the French fries are shit And I hate to be picky but I have to admit It's hard to eat when the cook has a zit! There's no way anyone would call it haute cuisine But it's not really junk food it's something in between But it's better than a burger or a Mike's submarine A balanced diet is a beer and a poutine!

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

PS. Using Firefox screwed up my formatting, but that is a song.

• zeroday
    zeroday
    A balanced diet is a beer and a poutine!

All I want to know is can I put bacon on top.... Seriously, I got the French Fries and possibly mozzarella cheese but the gravy I hear that is the key. That's what I want the gravy. I can get brown gravy anywhere but will that do.....

• damselfly
    damselfly

Well bacon DOES make everything better ;-)

You can use brown gravy if that's all you have. (Brown gravy is like a powdered mix?) Once you try it with a really good beef gravy though, you'll never go back.

Dams

• zeroday
    zeroday
    Home fries are really good.

Damselfly:

I don't know if American Home Fries are the same as Canadian, please bear with me. But our Home Fries are chuncks of potatoes pan fried nothing like french fries, is that what you are talking about.....

• damselfly
    damselfly

Yes you can use them if you want. That would ba "fancy pants" poutine. LOL

Plain unbattered fries are best as long as they are cooked crisp because the hot gravy will make them soggy otherwise.

Dams

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

for French fries - the frozen kind can be used bake or fry and after they are cooked add the cheese and hot gravy on top on top

I've had poutine with a light gravy/barbecue on top. - that was great - better than a simple brown gravy - not too thick. You don't want it gelling on your fries

• zeroday
    zeroday

I like "Fancy Pants" poutine. Actually I want Fancy Pants with sausage gravy and Bacon topped with Canadian Bacon.

Someone call 911 I need the pattles....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit