If you've never eaten a...

by Gregor 31 Replies latest jw friends

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Lol! I agree.

I do believe mangos are the only fruit I've ever tried that I have absolutely no desire to ever taste again.
    Kiwi, a party in your mouth.

My absolute favorite!!!!

• bebu
    bebu

I haven't had a mango, and now I guess I'll go have to buy one and try it!

I have had orange/mango juice and I really like that, so I think I'll be happy. I've tried orange/guava juice and didn't think it was so great.

I'll have to re-read your instructions beforehand, Gregor, to make sure I get the most out of the experience!!

bebu

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Apples are so boring. Never liked them, aside from the sour green ones.

You can either eat a mango after peeling it the messy way, or you can do what I often do. Instead of peeling it by hand, I peel it like a potato with a knife. Then once the peel is gone, I slice pieces off into a bowl, until I get to the pit and even then I like slicing pieces with a bit of the spongey pit attached for a little bit of crunch. Then I eat with a fork. Just be sure when slicing that the mango doesn't slip and you cut yourself. That way, no mess and the slices are pretty tasty by themselves. Or sometimes if I'm cooking, I can add them to whatever I'm making. The best thing to try is mango slices with butternut squash, mushrooms, and peanut sauce. So yummy!

• Gregor
    Gregor

Leolaia

Yep, my wife slices it into a bowl and eats with a fork. We have purchased dried Mangos too. Chewy, almost like candy. But my fave way is to stand over the sink with the juice running down my chin while I do the Mango Tango. Wifey likes watermelon in season but I can take 'em or leave 'em, too hard to find a sweet one. They make me burp and pee a lot.

• melmoth
    melmoth

In Thailand, there is a dessert served when mangos are in season: mango & sticky rice. It is almost as simple as it sounds; sticky rice (a particular variety of rice that, as you'd guess, sticks together and is a bit heavier than normal rice) with mango slices on it, and coconut milk dripped over it. The rice has a little flavor, but mostly it just adds texture to each mouthful. The coconut milk adds some moisture and an extra flavor. (Some add a little sugar to the coconut milk.) It might be my favorite dessert on the planet, though I'm also a fan of key lime pie when it has the right balance of lime tartness in it.
    Unfortunately, it can be difficult to get mangos as fresh and ripe as they are in an area where they grow naturally. Finding sticky rice isn't always easy, and it can't be cooked like normal rice - you have to steam it. So it's not easily made at home, but if you are in a Thai restaurant and it's on the menu, ask if the mangos are good (under-ripe ones just aren't the same) and if so, give it a try.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Mangos and sticky rice with coconut milk sounds great!

Hubert, Sorry your first mango experience wasn't so great. Maybe I over-hyped them!? Try once more. Only this time bring it home and leave it setting out for at least 3 days.

• hubert
    hubert
    Hubert, Sorry your first mango experience wasn't so great. Maybe I over-hyped them!? Try once more. Only this time bring it home and leave it setting out for at least 3 days.

Okay, Gregor, I'll give it another chance. I'll leave it out for 2 or 3 days, and then try it.

Another thing, these are not fresh Mangos, so I'm sure that has something to do with the taste, also. It had a "product of Mexico" sticker on it, and it may take a while to ship them to New England, so they are probably picked quite a few days before ripening.

Just like store bought apples. They just don't even compare to one that you pick off a tree, even Macintosh apples.

Reminds me about this fall, I brought my granddaughter to an orchard where we picked our own bag of apples right off the trees. When she tried one on the way home, she said, "Pepere, this is the best apple I ever had".

Made my day.

Hubert

• Gregor
    Gregor

Yes, there are so many things we used to take for granted, fresh tomatoes etc. My grandkids don't even like tomatoes and I don't blame them! Too bad. But mangos in Oregon or New England are really pushing it. No way we could grow them locally. (I don't know where you are in New England but here in Portland we are about 30 miles further north than Montreal!) I really think they have to ripen at home over a longer period of time. As you say, probably picked very green in Mexico or wherever in the far south.

By the way, I was mistaken about the price here, My wife, who is the shopper, says they are only about .59 cents (not .89) each.

Well, this is an unusual thread for a XJW site. They probably think they'll all have a mango tree in there garden in N. Dakota in the New World!

• hubert
    hubert

99 cents, over here, in Rhode Island, for the Mango.

Yes, tomatoes from the garden are delicious, but the ones in the stores have no taste at all. They are shipped green, and I hate them. In season, we stop at fruit stands and buy our tomatoes, fresh corn, summer squash, I could go on and on. (yummy).

An "unusual" thread is a welcome site, sometimes here on jwd. Makes a nice change from the usual.

Hubert

• G Money
    G Money

Mangos are great, especially on the beach with salt and chile pepper. Living in Central America I ate some crappy ones but the sweet, ripe ones are so good!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit