When you receive an ...shepherding visit, why not express appreciation ..?

by jgnat 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Severus
    Severus

My favorite "Local Needs" talk was directly after a CO visit. The topic was why elders need to make regular shepherding calls.

So the elders got spanked for not making calls and decided to preach to the congregation about it.

Did I ever get a call? No.

• penny2
    penny2
    his reputation as a "gunslinger or hitman" wasn't going to fly in my house and NOW GET OUT OF HERE

buffalosrfree, I really like that!

I found "NO" works well. Like, sister, can we visit you on Monday for a shepherding call? No, that's not convenient! When would be convenient then? I'll let you know. End of conversation. Repeat as often as necessary.

If they call unannounced, say, I'm sorry it's not convenient right now.

Usually they'll feel fine because they made the effort. Sooner or later they'll leave you alone.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

One in my life. I won't count the one where they called on us all and spent the entire time telling us how important it is for brothers to reach out for privileges. (Isn't that true sister sass?). My bro went to bethel not long after.

The real one was because a concerned friend sent them there - he told them I was doubting. I had to spend the whole gig deflecting their questions - yes I should just pray more, and yes I could study. They told me that everything would be okay if I took up a study with one of the older sisters. Couple of years later when they were disfellowshipping me they told me that I'd probably have been okay if I'd studied with some older sisters. Ah well.

And so yes, I thank them for that. Thanks guys, if it wasn't for that ticket out you'd still have me, and my poor Mr Frass would be in a very bad marriage.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

The last shepherding visit I had, if you can call it that, was in October last year, when a couple of elders turned up unannounced on my doorstep at 930pm after I had missed a meeting. They had come, in their words' to "straighten me out" because of my unwise association withy a da'd person. I think they expected me to capitulate, especially when they threatened me with the "ultimate sanction" if I didn't change my course, which I took to mean being df'd. I sent them packing, and saved them any further trouble by da'ing myself a week or so later.

• Lapuce
    Lapuce

I got a few... I hated them as it was always something that I did that was negative to them...

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Perhaps I'm incorrect but don't the elders doing the so Called "Shepherding Visit" Count the Time?

Elders are not supposed to count any time doing 'shepherding calls' with a baptized individual.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    I have had a few. Shepherding calls are supposed to be neutral and scheduled. They aren't (necessarily) supposed to be in response to a specific misdeed or event, though often they are. I have had some that were just in the normal course of events, and a couple that were specifically because I "screwed up."

Yeah, I had always been led to believe that too. But in eight years of baptized life, never once was there a 'neutral' shepherding call for me. In fact pretty much the only time the elders seemed to notice I existed was either when their computers weren't working (I work in I.T.) or when I starting questioning their doctrines (or rather, showing them where their doctrines are wrong).

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Does anyone feel, like me, that the article topics seem like they're addressing issues raised on this and other boards? How many negative posts have there been on this board about shepherding visits and how to handle them? Is this an attempt to bring the flock back into line on this issue?

• luna2
    luna2

I only ever had about two sheparding visits in all the time I was a dub. First congo, I only remember one and I was associated/baptised for close to eight years. Second congo I hated the first visit so much that I managed to put them off for the next ten years. lol

• jgnat
    jgnat

Stephanus, this week's article is a horrible read on how loving the elders are, right next to Jesus. There's a lovely testimony from a Circuit Overseer's widow, who never resented how often her husband was taken away by congregational duties. It seems to be written as wishful thinking. In other words, headquarters WISHES this is what they have for elders.

Sorry, the brutal induction process and the heavy demands does not breed compassionate elders. Any man who TRIES to 'do it all' will swiftly burn out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit