Are there still things that were witness no-no's that you refrain from?

by AK - Jeff 25 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

For me, after decades as a witness there are quite a few I suppose. This thread was inspired by Min's thread about sex and our attitudes now as opposed to when we were witnesses.

One thing that I have never done - and it might seem somewhat trivial to many - I have never, not once, in my entire life uttered the F word. I always found it to be utterly vulgar - and I still do. I realize that is prob due largely to my witnoid background - but I cannot ever concieve of myself beginning to use that word. I curse and cuss at times - and actually am trying to curb some of that now, as it has become a bad habit to me - but the F word had never been uttered by me.

Anyone else have habits or ideas that have become so much of you that you just don't want to change them in spite of leaving?

Jeff

• BecauseImBroken
    BecauseImBroken

I am a musician and I still feel wrong when music that's classified as heavy metal, regardless of malicious lyrics or not, comes on. Programmed into my head to hate the stuff.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Yah. I haven't killed anyone yet. Came very, very close, but never did it.

I haven't had extramarital sex. Ever. Never even came close. Never wanted to.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• under_believer
    under_believer

I assume this only applies to things that are unique to Witnesses.
    I still consider nationalism to be poison, and will not salute the flag or stand for the National Anthem.
    Other than that? All the other unique Witness stuff... holidays, blood ban, etc... none of that is verboten for me any longer.

• BecauseImBroken
    BecauseImBroken

Yeah that did slip my mind. I still look down upon politics, military affairs, and nationalism. I'm neutral as can be in that sense. But that's a Biblical no-no, not really a JW one. The JW's are the only one's that follow it.

• divejunkie
    divejunkie

I've never smoked.

In truth, it's not becaue of JW's beliefs - but rather because I find it totally disgusting and stupid.

• BecauseImBroken
    BecauseImBroken

Christmas? Halloween? Birthdays? I don't celebrate any of those, and won't ever have an interest in doing so. But if there's a Christmas party down at the office, or someone is getting birthday cake, I'm not going to run away like the old days. Give me some egg nog and a slice of Betty Crocker!

• Synergy
    Synergy

I haven't taken drugs or killed anyone. Haven't joined the armed forces - just because I don't want to be told what to do. That's about it. No honey, if there was a JW rule I went out of my way to break it! Gave blood and everything. I can't wait to vote in November! It's the last on my list.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I have aligned my lifestyle more with that of mainstream Christianity and some things overlap with the rules of the JWs. However I don't bother with the uniquely JW rules since long ago, as they are the dictates of a destructive cult.

• M.J.
    M.J.

"No sex! No booze! You snooze, you lose! Everybody! I'm high, I'm high on life..."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit