AIDS/HIV, Watchtower, and Frontline

by cyberguy 13 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

Immorality doesn't spread infections, exchanging body fluids does.

The morality of sexual acts and drug use is a separate issue from the recklessness. The recklessness is what causes the infection, not the sex act or drug use. People from all walks of life are reckless every day. Does a smoker deserve cancer? Does the driver not wearing a seatbelt deserve to be killed in a crash? Yeah, those ppl should have done things differently, and they shouldn't be shocked when the consequence happens. That is different though than saying they are immoral for taking risks.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    I find it interesting how the humanitarian impulse in cyberguy's original post has been totally lost in the subsequent discussion.

The human condition at it's finest!

• JoeSinclair
    JoeSinclair

Hmm.. rassillon, you sounded like you weren't sure of yourself with regard to the genetically programmed nature of homosexuality, I figure you could do with some guidance?

1.) If you want to be accepted despite your sexual choice then you
    Now you believe that you are genetically programmed to like other men? I don't know? I have seen no conclusive evidence to say so. If you say this because you "feel" this is so, well, we all know how scientific feelings are. Also, if you believe this, do you also believe in evoloution? Would this make you and your particular evolved branch more or less likely to survive? Are you developing a new way to have offspring?

OK, I spotted this article today, and it seems relevant to the whole "a gay gene would have been Natural Selection-ed out of existence" point that you make:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1306894,00.html

To save you some time, it is an article detailing an idea that came around last year (2005). The theory is this: The same genetic differences that might predispose a person to be gay ALSO predispose women to be especially fertile. So strange are the workings of the human genome that we have no way of knowing what knock on effects genetic engineering can have, which is why it is such a dangerous game.

Quote from the article:

Scientists have discovered that gay men’s mothers, sisters and maternal aunts tend to have significantly more children than the norm — and that many of their nephews and male cousins are also gay.

The point is, your argument about the Natural Selection is not a complete argument, and you should be more careful with it.

That said, I agree with you on the consequences point. It is not an inevitable consequence of leading a homosexual lifestyle that you will get infected with HIV. Unprotected sex is the key to it, I'm not sure where Bstndance got the idea that AIDS is inevitable.

To everyone I offer my sincerest apologies for staying off topic here, but I couldn't let that go I'm afraid. Poorly formed arguments are my bug-bear!

Joe

• rassillon
    rassillon

::JoeSinclair:: Regarding your guidance

I choose to view it as a choice because as I said, "I have seen no conclusive evidence" and I still haven't. The article, though interesting, still is no more than a theory. You failed address my "conclusive" clause in my "argument" as you called it, therefor you have a poorly formed response.

Oh, yeah, BTW I was actually just trying to inject a little humor and wasn't really trying to make an argument for or against a particular cause of homosexuality.

Thanks for jumping on an off handed comment and implying I make poor arguments! You ROCK!!!..................<-------that is sarcasm BTW.

::leolaia::

Even though I contribute, I hear you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit