AIDS/HIV, Watchtower, and Frontline

by cyberguy 13 Replies latest jw friends

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

When I was in the JW-office, working at Circuit and District Conventions, there was a real scare/effort to baptize those with AIDS/HIV after everyone else was finished. I can understand this safeguard, but the WT’s position on this in the US and the Western World, is that it is primary a gay disease (most infected that I knew, wanting to be baptized as JW’s, were not gay but former drug addicts, sharing needles…). Their view is, God’s punishment on a debauched lifestyle! PBS is airing several programs on the epidemic this evening, reviewing 20 years of history (see http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/aids/). I’ll be tuning-in to get more informed and updated. More on Wednesday! However, this disease didn’t start in the gay community! And I don’t believe God is punishing anyone here, no matter what the life style. And people need to use protection if they’re going to mess-around. And I’ve got more to say, but I’ll reframe to let others comment. Anyway, God-bless anyone who, of the 70-million now infected, are sick and need help!
    Please review--70-million are now infected! This includes babies, and very young adults! Do any of you want to sit as a judge? Would you like to judge a baby who is now infected, because of what its parents did? Hopefully, some of you will respond and figure out a way to help! God bless you all for your consideration in this matter!

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Tell ya what, go read the book, "And the Band Played On," written by a gay San Francisco newspaper columnist, and then tell me that homosexuals weren't the MAIN spreaders of this disease.

I'm sorry, to me, the only "innocent" HIV/AIDS victims are children born with it, hemopheliacs, medical staff accidentally stuck with a needle, and spouses of cheating partners. Everyone else has NO excuse. Let me explain: if you don't do drugs or have unprotected sex, basically you will never have to worry about HIV/AIDs. On the other hand, if you like riding bareback on some stranger in a brothel or bath house and then get high by shooting up some herion, then you probably need to start worrying.

Society at large is paying for the immorallity of a minority. Do you like to suck wang and ride down HersheyPark Drive? Do you like carpet munching? Do you like shooting up illegal drugs? Are you a married closet homo or bi-sexual that is stepping out on your spouse? If so, you are a morally corrupt individual and anything you get as a result is YOUR own damn fault! It's not MY fault or society's fault, or anyone elses except your own. I'm so sick of these minorities in American demanding more AIDS research money, etc because they are going to die from their own immoral actions. EXCUSE ME - Cancer has been around WAY longer than AIDS, and most people did nothing (besides maybe smoke) to get it - and it kills way more people than AIDS every year, so why are we diverting funds from cancer research to AIDS research? Because the minority will have gay parades and riots if we don't. Pffffhttt! Just sickening.

I know this response may get flamed - oh well! The truth hurts. Like I said at the beginning - go read "And the Band Played On," then tell me of your pity for the homosexual community.

Regards,

Wing Commander

• Gregor
    Gregor

Wing Commander, why don't you say how you really feel? lol.

I admire your courage to speak up on this subject, I did once on here and you would have thought I was calling for gassing all gays! It seems if you are not 100% pro-gay then you are a homophobic bigot. Touchy subject!

It has been well documented that every advance in HIV/AIDS treatment has been followed by a spike in new GAY infections in the San Francisco area. It is obvious how the stuff has spread, but now it has gotten so bad that it is a serious and tragic problem in the general population of third world countries. I agree, we should all try to do whatever we can to support efforts to eradicate it.

• Bstndance
    Bstndance
    I'm so sick of these minorities in American

Powerful words wing commander.

Did you know that the majority of Africans diagnosed with AIDS are not diagnosed with a drug test? Unlike in the United States, AIDS in Africa is most frequently diagnosed based on four very imprecise clinical symptoms--diarrhea, fever, persistent cough, and weight loss greater than 10% over two months. HIV antibody tests are not required to diagnose a case of African AIDS.

Oh and "the band played on"? I have some suggested reading for you:

http://www.whatisaids.com/howthechroninventedaids.htm

Are you a married closet homo
    Using the word Homo in your context is just as offensive as using the "N" word or any other word to describe minorities. But hey, you said you're so sick of minorities. Maybe you should go join Fred Phelps and protest soldiers funerals.
  • rassillon
    rassillon

WC & Gregor

It is a sad fact that everyone wants to be accepted no matter what they do but become hypocrites when it comes to accepting someone who does not agree with them.

The rule should be if you think everyone should be accepted, accept them no matter what they say.

But this just doesn't fit in with the "Homosexual Agenda", Yep I said it.

::I edited this because I submitted too soon. People have to accept the facts that everything has some sort of reprecussion. Is if always fair, no, but sometimes it is. AIDS is a big reason I did not screw every (hot) girl I saw. of the I think everybody should be accepted unless you don't accept me class.

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

This is crazy! Having the logic that AIDS is just a consequence would be the same as we all deserve cancer!!

Yes, we all deserve cancer and you can't feel sorry for the people that get it! Why? Well because we eat processed foods, breathe polluted air that is fueled by our economy, drink polluted water because we wash cars with chemicals that do into drains, we drink carbonated beverages, talk on cell phones, live near powerlines, and drink alcohol. Cancer is a consequence of our lifestyles.

Hey, I don't firmly believe that and cancer is a horrible disease. However, if you are going to use that logic, you might as well say that.

That said, I'm not going to continue reading this post. You are entitled to your opinion. Yes, acceptance is part of the world agenda; but, why should I accept anyone that believes I deserve a fatal illness based on the sex I am genetically programmed to be attracted to?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    However, this disease didn’t start in the gay community!

While this is true from a worldwide perspective, the outbreak in the US did begin in the male homosexual community. The initial media coverage is, unfortunately, what sticks with most people. In this case, the initial media coverage in the US was sorely lacking in factuality.

I hope people in the US start viewing this issue differently very soon. Otherwise, we will be another Uganda.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• rassillon
    rassillon

Bstndance,

I hope you don't take this as an attack on you because it is not. How you live your life is completely up to you and none of my business as long as it does not affect me. If you are happy then I am happy for you.

If you knew me you would know that I am very opinionated BUT balanced person.

It is a fact that if you have unprotected sex with someone with HIV you are more likely to contract HIV/AIDS than if you did not have unprotected sex. If that is not a consequence then I don't know what is.

It is like saying that if I touch a hot stove I am more likely to get burned than if I did not. That is a consequence.

You can "FEEL" as though this is not the case but feelings to not equate to facts.

:That said, I'm not going to continue reading this post. ; You are entitled to your opinion. ; Yes, acceptance is part of the world

: agenda; but, why should I accept anyone that believes I deserve a fatal illness based on the sex I am genetically programmed to be attracted

:to?

Here you go way off line and imply that I said this, that you deserve something because of your genetics. That is FALSE and misrepresentitive. This is another case of trying to change the focus from facts to incindary comments.

1.) If you want to be accepted despite your sexual choice then you have an obligation to accept others despite their feelings on the matter or you are a hypocrite.

2.) I feel that the result of someones action is reasonable because they knowingly took part in a risky behavior, even if that result is dire.

Try going bunjee(sp?) jumping without signing a waiver that says if you die, tough luck. It won't happen.

Now you believe that you are genetically programmed to like other men? I don't know? I have seen no conclusive evidence to say so. If you say this because you "feel" this is so, well, we all know how scientific feelings are. Also, if you believe this, do you also believe in evoloution? Would this make you and your particular evolved branch more or less likely to survive? Are you developing a new way to have offspring?

I know that you may get offended by what I have said, please don't, please just look at it as someone with a different opinion who respects you for yours.

Regards.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I find it interesting how the humanitarian impulse in cyberguy's original post has been totally lost in the subsequent discussion.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    Would you like to judge a baby who is now infected, because of what its parents did?

Leolaia,

I couldn't think of a way to improve on this plea. But it seemed important to take the issue off origins and place it back on the existent problem. A virus doesn't care how it entered human populations. It only "thinks" of ways to keep itself alive despite efforts to kill it.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit