Disaster : ( My niece wants to get baptised soon.

by Spectrum 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Maybe discuss disfellowshipping with her. Tell her that over 2/3 of all people born JWS leave when they get older because they stop thinking it is the truth.

Show her all the reasons she can be d/f and discuss what it will be like having no friends or family talk to her ever again. Then ask why she should rush. Why get baptised as 16 when Jesus waited until 30?

Here is an article with all the reasons about disfellowshipping.

http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/disfellowship.htm

The lucky kids i know are the ones that never got baptised and freely associate with all their family whilst doing whatever they like.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Baptism is the first step to becoming an XJW.

The important thing is that her sense of self should not be demolished when the local clown committee disfellowships her. If she really is as "untheocratic" as you suggest she is, in the long run she'll be fine.

In the meantime, you might talk to her about how Jesus waited until he was 30 to make such a "serious" commitment. Does she imagine that at 16 she is about where Jesus was when he was 30?

• penny2
    penny2

Maybe there's a young brother she's interested in. I was told recently by some young ones that that's the main reason teenagers get baptised these days - so they can date.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Show her the August 2002 OKM on how JWs are supposed to treat the disfellowshipped.

Remind her that that is how they will treat her if she ever changes her mind.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

AuldSoul,

I don't know what is in those publications. A couple a years ago I found many 100s of their publications in my attic and threw every single one of them in a skip. Adios.
    Some people tell me to let her get on with it and others say to actively stop her. I know her idiotic dad would love for her to get baptised so that then he can go out scouting for a rich husband. He has already told her that she is too fat, she needs to slim down, otherwise who is going to marry her; The idiot has dollar signs in his eyes when he talks like that. Her mother has already told her to not even think about marrying someone without loads of dosh otherwise she is going to suffer like her mother.
    Anyway if he found out I stopped her he'd come over to me with a crowbar!! How dare I ck up his financial future.
    I get angry just writing this stuff because as a young child she was the sweetest little girl beyond reproach, now she has turned into something unendearing. Shame.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

" I think a lot of it depends on how much pressure her Witness family is exerting."

Her dad is looking for a rich JW husband for her. He'll be over the moon when it happens.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

They don't care they want her to find a rich husband so that approach will probably encourage her rather than desuade them

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Free these people are on autopilot. She was born in JWism so she knows no better.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

JWfacts,

I will try this but not show it as a tactic of desuading her but pretend that I'm just interested in what happens to disfellowshipped people them maybe, for example, remind her that she loves showing too much clevage when out of site of the elders and other stuff she gets up to.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Excellent idea but she is going to say, so what. If I say, it is a serious commitent, she will say, I am serious, and she will actually believe it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit