Disaster : ( My niece wants to get baptised soon.

by Spectrum 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

The fact that she wants to get baptized isn't a big deal. It's the fact that she wants to be baptized AS A JEHOVAHS WITNESS! The implications are huge with this. But of course, which one of us fully understood what we where getting into? Did we feel that we where simply becoming Christians, mabyee with a little bit more responsibility than most? None of us would get baptized if we knew what we do know ABOUT JEHOVAHS WITNESSES. You might just not be able to do anything, because in the end it's not about getting baptized that we get worried, its about them becoming one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

• steve2
    steve2

In the old days when I was planning to become a baptized JW, lots of "well-meaning" people tried to talk me out of it. I viewed their "opposition" as proof that JWs had the truth.

My advice: Back off.

Young people usually think they know all there is to know about life and are impervious to consequential thinking (i.e., "If you do A, then B will result..."). Young religious people are especially prone to this know-it-all hubris.

Sometimes the steps we take when we are young and impressionable have consequences way beyond are developing abilities to sensibly choose. Like it or lump it, that's just the way life is sometimes and there's little we can do to protect our young loved ones from the beartraps dotted on life's often tricky pathway.

Be there for her when the shit hits the fan.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

That's a good point. She'll probably think that the God is testing her and the Devil is making me say these things.

However I haven't told her not to get baptised at all but to wait until she is 25 when she'll be mature enough to make an informed decision.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit