A Very Convenient Liar - Al Gore

by MegaDude 41 Replies latest jw friends

• heathen
    heathen

Well scientists are also predicting an ice age . Really all that would take is a volcanic eruption like the one in the 1700's that caused the little ice age or a meteor impact . Right now I can agree that temperatures are heating up during the day and cooling at night because of the hole in the ozone . The bible doesn't say anything about an ice age but it does mention the earth being destroyed by fire .

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Here is your source's credentials, Mega:

Balling has acknowledged that he had received $408,000 in research funding from the fossil fuel industry over the last decade (of which his University takes 50% for overhead). Contributors include ExxonMobil, the British Coal Corporation, Cyprus Minerals and OPEC. [1] (http://www.mtn.org/~newscncl/complaints/hearings/det_118.html)

His views have led to his enthusiastic adoption by various members of the free-market extremist Atlas Economic Research Foundation network. He writes regularly for the Cato Institute, Tech Central Station and the Competitive Enterprise Institute.

His writings find him regularly in the company of other prominent climate change sceptics, including Sallie L. Baliunas, and S. Fred Singer of the Science and Environmental Policy Project.

In August 2004 Balling told Business Week "I'm convinced there will be engineering schemes that will allow our children's children to have whatever climate they want". [2] (http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_33/b3896001_mz001.htm)

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

zagor, nice post.

The expression, Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that people aren't out to get me, can be extrapolated nicely here: Just because cultists cry "the end of the world is coming" doesn't mean that it can't happen!

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

MegaRube-

I totally agree, all this global warming talk is BS.

We need to focus on the real issues, like poison soda pop:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/108871/1.ashx

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

Confession, I'm with you, I believe this warming trend is pretty much out of our hands. I believe it's just the earth doing what it has for millions of years, continually renewing and changing. That however is no excuse to indiscriminately pollute the environment since as we all know this is having repercussions in our air quality, water and food supply. We should all work together to better our planet, all the while knowing that changes are going to occur.

I watched that program on National Geographic on the warming issue, and read some news that Scientists have discovered evidence of a tropical climate in the north pole I don't remember precisely how long ago that was, but they have pulled out of the arctic ocean remains of tropical plants and animals only known to survive in tropical weather. They think the weather there remained at around 74 degrees farenheit at this time. With this in mind, I don't think it's very wise to reconstruct cities like New Orleans, or live anywhere near the coast since these areas will continue to be greatly affected by severe weather and erosion. As the polar ice continues to melt, it will be amazing to see, what interesting things will be uncovered, maybe ancient civilizations that were eradicated when the last ice age hit, or new species never before discovered, who knows? Maybe the polar region will one day be one of the earth's hot new vacation spots !

IC

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Despite some people saying it's a good thing if Al Gore hypes the man-made global warming theory, calling it "truth" is another one of his exaggerations. It isn't truth at all. Theory, yes.

Pistoff, thanks for the reference. The source I posted is one of many but it is prudent to follow where the research money is coming from. I admit that anyone receiving money from a corporation for research would be influenced to present views favorable in that corporation's interest. Of course, the same thing goes for politicans trying to rehabilitate their images.

Michael Crichton in one of his speeches both sides of the global warming argument should heed:

The greatest challenge facing mankind is the challenge of distinguishing reality from fantasy, truth from propaganda. Perceiving the truth has always been a challenge to mankind, but in the information age (or as I think of it, the disinformation age) it takes on a special urgency and importance.

We need an organization that will be ruthless about acquiring verifiable results, that will fund identical research projects to more than one group, and that will make everybody in this field get honest fast.

And if we allow science to become politicized, then we are lost. We will enter the Internet version of the dark ages, an era of shifting fears and wild prejudices, transmitted to people who don't know any better. That's not a good future for the human race. That's our past. So it's time to abandon the religion of environmentalism, and return to the science of environmentalism, and base our public policy decisions firmly on that.

http://www.crichton-official.com/speeches/

"Environmentalism as Religion"

• Confession
    Confession

Wow. Fantastic quote by Crichton...

The greatest challenge facing mankind is the challenge of distinguishing reality from fantasy, truth from propaganda.

Couldn't agree more. Saying 'even though it might not be true, it's still good people are spinning on it and shedding some light on the subject' (to me) is like the WTS saying...

"Well even though we were wrong in our interpretations of just when the end would come, we still shed light on some very important things and drew peoples' attention to Jehovah."

• Warlock
    Warlock

Greenland isn't called Greenland for no reason.

• rmt1
    rmt1

I don't suppose this arctic discovery causes anyone to pause and consider: If the north pole had tropical biota, then how hot must the equator have been? Does everyone want to live in the humid and malarial Congo? The north pole discovery might be just fine for whatever biota there were at that point, but humans won't stand for any nonsense: the energy output to make 6 billion humans comfortable (present a/c standard of living) in a Congo environment would be sizable.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"The greatest challenge facing mankind is the challenge of distinguishing reality from fantasy, truth from propaganda."

All well and good, but is there some reason to believe that Michael Crichton is a propaganda free zone? I think not, especially given that his book, mentioned above, is transparent propaganda. Certainly anyone reading his book and thinking they've been well schooled in what-is-important-for-the-earth-and-our-children, is a person who has failed in the challenge of "distinguishing reality from fantasy, truth from propaganda."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit