A Very Convenient Liar - Al Gore

by MegaDude 41 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    "I don't think you should trust the "Father of the Internet" any further than you can throw him."

As it turns out, Al Gore didn't say anything at all inacurate regarding his involvement with the developement of the internet.

Gore never claimed that he "invented" the Internet, which implies that he engineered the technology. The invention occurred in the seventies and allowed scientists in the Defense Department to communicate with each other. In a March 1999 interview with Wolf Blitzer, Gore said, "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."
    Taken in context, the sentence, despite some initial ambiguity, means that as a congressman Gore promoted the system we enjoy today, not that he could patent the science, though that's how the quotation has been manipulated. Hence the disingenuous substitution of "inventing" for the actual language.
    <snip>
    But the real question is what, if anything, did Gore actually do to create the modern Internet? According to Vincent Cerf, a senior vice president with MCI Worldcom who's been called the Father of the Internet, "The Internet would not be where it is in the United States without the strong support given to it and related research areas by the Vice President in his current role and in his earlier role as Senator."
    The inventor of the Mosaic Browser, Marc Andreesen, credits Gore with making his work possible. He received a federal grant through Gore's High Performance Computing Act. The University of Pennsylvania's Dave Ferber says that without Gore the Internet "would not be where it is today."
    Joseph E. Traub, a computer science professor at Columbia University, claims that Gore "was perhaps the first political leader to grasp the importance of networking the country. Could we perhaps see an end to cheap shots from politicians and pundits about inventing the Internet?"
  • MegaDude
    MegaDude

Hi Chris, I believe we're in a warming trend. The earth has had cycles of extreme weather before that had nothing to do with man's impact on the planet. I don't believe anything Al Gore says is free of some personal agenda.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I hear you. At the same time, I can't help but feel that pumping tons of carbon monoxide/dioxide into the atmosphere for the past century has had some effect. I'm fairly ignorant of the scientific end, but I do think the quicker we can overcome Big Oil and start using something besides fossil fuels the better for all.

I don't believe anything Al Gore says is free of some personal agenda.

I'm no fan of Al Gore, but your statement would surely apply to any and all politicians.

Chris

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

What Al Gore said was:

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Chris,

Maybe I should have said that I don't trust Al Gore any further than I can throw George Bush?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Maybe I should have said that I don't trust Al Gore any further than I can throw George Bush?

Amen to that, brother. To trust ANY politican today is foolish.

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

As much as I can't stand Al Gore, I really think he meant to say "I took the initiative with regards to the creation of the internet". Whatever - as a politician, why should he be given a pass when using misplaced grammar?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Whatever - as a politician, why should he be given a pass when using misplaced grammar?

I appreciate your honesty in the above post. However, if this whole "Al Gore/internet" thing was about criticizing Al Gore for his clumsy grammer, it wouldn't bother me. What bothers me is the deep, deep hypocricy in using it to paint Al Gore as dishonest. And btw, I'm only commenting on his honesty in regards to the "internet" comments right now, as I would have to research each specific criticism to have a feel for his honesty or lack thereof as a politician.

I wonder how many of the criticism I'll find, when I do go looking, came from honest brokers, and how many came from people like Karl Rove?

• spoils_useful_habits
    spoils_useful_habits

Yes Al Gore, like any politician could be labled a liar, but he certainly didn't send thousands to their deaths like the master liar GEORGE W.!...... Give us one example where W has given a speech or written a book on anything that tried to save life rather than kill lives.....Poor ol Gore, resurfaces with a beard on his face and he's called crazy, hey when I left the "cult" I resurfaced with major hair on my face and the only ones that thought I was crazy were the JW's, lol!

• heathen
    heathen

I agree with Big-Tex and Al gore . We need to stop poluting and get off fossil fuels . LOL@spoils_useful_habbits Right now they are even saying that the unburned jet fuel is getting into our meat products also known as vapor trails . Not good at all people.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    What bothers me is the deep, deep hypocricy in using it to paint Al Gore as dishonest

No, I don't think that's true. What bothers you is any criticism of the Democratic Party. Oh well...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit