A Very Convenient Liar - Al Gore

by MegaDude 41 Replies latest jw friends

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

To counteract the hysteria which I personally believe is more Al Gore lying.

Inconvenient Truths Indeed by Dr. Robert C. Balling Jr.

Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" opens around the country this week. In the film Gore pulls together evidence from every corner of the globe to convince us that climate change is happening fast, we are to blame, and if we don't act immediately, our Earth will be all but ruined. However, as you sit through the film, consider the following inconvenient truths:

(1) Near the beginning of the film, Gore pays respects to his Harvard mentor and inspiration, Dr. Roger Revelle. Gore praises Revelle for his discovery that atmospheric CO2 levels were rising and could potentially contribute to higher temperatures at a global scale. There is no mention of Revelle's article published in the early 1990s concluding that the science is "too uncertain to justify drastic action." (S.F. Singer, C. Starr, and R. Revelle, "What to do about Greenhouse Warming: Look Before You Leap. Cosmos 1 (1993) 28-33.)

(2) Gore discusses glacial and snowpack retreats atop Kenya's Mt. Kilimanjaro, implying that human induced global warming is to blame. But Gore fails to mention that the snows of Kilimanjaro have been retreating for more than 100 years, largely due to declining atmospheric moisture, not global warming. Gore does not acknowledge the two major articles on the subject published in 2004 in the International Journal of Climatology and the Journal of Geophysical Research showing that modern glacier retreat on Kilimanjaro was initiated by a reduction in precipitation at the end of the nineteenth century and not by local or global warming.

(3) Many of Gore's conclusions are based on the "Hockey Stick" that shows near constant global temperatures for 1,000 years with a sharp increase in temperature from 1900 onward. The record Gore chooses in the film completely wipes out the Medieval Warm Period of 1,000 years ago and Little Ice Age that started 500 years ago and ended just over 100 years ago. There is evidence from throughout the world that these climate episodes existed, but on Gore's Hockey Stick, they become nothing more than insignificant fluctuations (Gore even jokes at one point about the Medieval Warm period).

(4) You will certainly not be surprised to see Katrina, other hurricanes, tornadoes, flash floods, and many types of severe weather events linked by Gore to global warming. However, if one took the time to read the downloadable "Summary for Policymakers" in the latest report from the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), one would learn that "No systematic changes in the frequency of tornadoes, thunder days, or hail events are evident in the limited areas analysed" and that "Changes globally in tropical and extra-tropical storm intensity and frequency are dominated by inter-decadal and multi-decadal variations, with no significant trends evident over the 20th century."

(5) Gore claims that sea level rise could drown the Pacific islands, Florida, major cities the world over, and the 9/11 Memorial in New York City. No mention is made of the fact that sea level has been rising at a rate of 1.8 mm per year for the past 8,000 years; the IPCC notes that "No significant acceleration in the rate of sea level rise during the 20th century has been detected."

(6) Near the end of the film, we learn of ways the United States could reduce emissions of greenhouse gases back to the levels of 1970. OK. Assume the United States accomplishes this lofty goal, would we see any impact on climate? The well-known answer is no. China, India and many other countries are significantly increasing their emission levels, and global concentrations of CO2 may double this century no matter what we decide to do in the United States. Even if the Kyoto Protocol could be fully implemented to honor the opening of this movie, the globe would be spared no more than a few hundredths of a degree of warming.

Throughout the film Gore displays his passion for the global warming issue, and it is obvious that he has dedicated a substantial amount of time to learning about climate change and the greenhouse effect. This leads to an obvious question. The Kyoto Protocol was negotiated in December of 1997 giving the Clinton-Gore administration more than three years to present the Protocol to the United States Senate for ratification. Given Gore's position in the senate and his knowledge and passion for global warming, one must wonder why then Vice President Gore did not seize on what appears to have been an opportunity of a lifetime?

"An Inconvenient Truth" is billed as the scariest movie you'll ever see. It may well be, but that's in part because it is not the most accurate depiction of the state of global warming science. The enormous uncertainties surrounding the global warming issue are conveniently missing in "An Inconvenient Truth."

Dr. Robert C. Balling Jr. is a professor in the climatology program at Arizona State University, specializing in climate change and the greenhouse effect.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Too bad for the environmentalists. Al Gore as their spokesperson leaves a lot to be desired. I think he went off the deep end since not becoming the President....the guy is in need of a deep message and some sessions with a psycho therapist - too much anger, too little substance.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Thanks for the interesting info. MegaDude. As someone said recently, the fad idea of Global Warming being caused by mankind and/or being stopped by mankind is one of the most outrageous hoaxes ever conceived and put over.

Michael Crichtons book, "State of Fear", even though built around a fictional storyline, is an excellent book of facts refuting the 'religion' of man-caused GW.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER
    And here's what other top scientists are saying:

Top Nasa Scientist Says He's Being Silenced on Global Warming

Jan. 29, 2006 —

A top government scientist is speaking out about what he says is an effort to keep him quiet about global warming.

NASA's chief climate scientist James Hansen says the space agency's backlash is part of a Bush administration effort aimed at those trying to sound the alarm on climate change.

He says the administration tried to silence him after he gave a speech last month with this warning: "We're getting very close to a tipping point in the climate system. If we don't get off our 'business as usual' scenario and begin to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, we're going to get big climate changes."

Hansen says threats from NASA officials came only by phone, with nothing in writing.

"One threat was relayed to me that there would be 'dire consequences — not specified,'" he told ABC News.

In December, ABC News' "Good Morning America" reported NASA's announcement, linking the record high temperatures of 2005 to greenhouse gas emissions.

Said Hansen, "When 'Good Morning America' released our data showing that 2005 was probably the warmest year on record, I got calls that they were very unhappy."

NASA today issued a statement, saying its policies are similar to those of "any other federal agency, corporation or news organization" in requiring any NASA employee to "coordinate (any statements) with the Office of Public Affairs. No exceptions."

Over the past year, a growing number of American scientists who study global warming have been complaining about the federal government's efforts to silence or alter their reports or to discourage them.

Many climate scientists say the Bush administration's policy, which asks businesses to cut greenhouse gases voluntarily, simply won't work.

Hansen says NASA's stated mission includes protecting the planet, and he will continue to speak out.

ABC News' Bill Blakemore filed this report for "World News Tonight."

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=1555183

• oldflame
    oldflame
    It may well be, but that's in part because it is not the most accurate depiction of the state of global warming science. T

When is anything accurate when it comes from a politician ? I think never !

But I do believe that global warming is surely an issue we need to take care of and now not tomarrow.

I was watching a show on National Geographic about the fact that global warming is causing the ice packs to melt and melting at a faster rate than ever before. It was said that in 50 years the ice will be gone and the sea will raise it's level by 8 feet. That is a lot and yes it will flood many major cities.

Al Gore may not have all his facts in order but he is bringing up an issue that needs tending righ now.

• serendipity
    serendipity

I'd bet the 'truth' of the matter is somewhere between both extremes. Sensationalism helps in selling lots of things. It won't hurt to reduce pollution and take better care of our environment. IF this movie and other articles and books in the same vein accomplish that, then they were valuable.

• juni
    juni

My observation:

Something is out of whack w/the weather. My son who used to get a nice brown tan now burns very easily. The sun's rays FEEL more intense. Our winters used to be much colder and w/a lot more snow.

Personally I feel it's burying your head in the sand if you don't feel something is happening w/ our climate. From space they can measure our ozone layer and see that it's thinning out and at the South pole there's a hole in the layer. Also the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere holds in the heat from the sun which causes a general warm up.

You can't ignore the facts.

Juni

• Gregor
    Gregor

Well, MegaDude. There you are.

Holy crap! One born every minute.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Indeed, Gregor. I don't think you should trust the "Father of the Internet" any further than you can throw him. The man is desperate to salvage his reputation at any cost.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Megadude, I'm curious. Do you think there is anything to the theory of global warming?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit