Overheard at Special Assembly Day

by under_believer 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Panda
    Panda

So what about all of those poor Jws who have no support in their old age? Who cannot afford healthcare? Or food or rent or utilities?

I think she is so darned SURE is because she knows on which side her bread is buttered; she's very sure of that. Her husband is apparently just slipping away fromlife. Sheesh I wonder what happens to her once he's gone?

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Come on everybody let us hop on the the merry go round of reasoning. It just keeps going around and around and around.
    How do you know it's the time of the end. Just look at Jehovah's Witnesses, what their doing is a sure sign. WTF?!?!?!?

• trevor
    trevor

I realize that most of you already know this but it is always worth reminding ourselves how easily we can make the same mistake that Jehovah’s Witnesses do, in our own lives.

In order to make maintain the worlds we have built around ourselves to live in, we move different pieces into the places they need to be for it all to continue to make sense. This how our minds work with few exceptions. Very few people - apart from Terry - are totally objective.

Long term Jehovah’s Witnesses have to move far more pieces around than the average person because they inhabit a world that is separate from reality and based on faith, hope and glory. They are limited as to what they can move or change because of the rules they live by. Eventually some find they can no longer make enough of the pieces fit and the edifice come crashing down. They call it spiritual shipwreck, the rest of the world sees it as waking from a sleep caused by cognitive dissonance.

Quote:

"Inconsistency among related beliefs . . . produces motivation to do whatever is easiest in order to regain cognitive consistency or consonance among beliefs."
    Jones and Gerard, Foundations of Social Psychology,1967

• garybuss
    garybuss

I was berated by a circuit servant when I was about 27 years old for working full time WHILE he was enjoying a gift bought by the paycheck from the full time job he was criticizing. I'll tell ya, it didn't go over good. It was a disconfirmation for me. That was in 1971 a few months after my wife died and I was in no real mood for any Jehovah's Witness priest insulting me.

That was one of the many incidents of Witness insult and failure that motivated me to listen to my mind and get away from Jehovah's Witnesses.

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming
    to support the notion that we're "deep, deep in the time of the end."

its getting deep all right, I got my wading boots on

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit