JWs can quote you the bible back to front.

by Spectrum 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Have you noticed that our JW friends have stayed out of this thread.

This thread was quite an eye opener for me. There is quite a lot of info I can use next time a JW tells me they know more or other's know nothing.

• Scully
    Scully

jw:

So what if ex-Jw's know the biblie from back to front! It's useless if they don't apply it. It's useless if they do not have and show love the way Jesus taught his disciples to love.

So what if mormons, pentecostal, jews, baptists, etc....................................................................................................................................................................

know the biblie from back to front! It's useless if they don't apply it. It's useless if they do not have and show love the way Jesus taught his disciples to love.

Looks like I hit a nerve.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I regularly catch the train and most days someone will be reading the bible. I thought the guy I was next to today was a JW because his bible looked like the leather NWT, but it turned out to be a different one.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

After reading a long, thoughtful and insightful discussion on the topic, I read this:

So what if ex-Jw's know the biblie from back to front! It's useless if they don't apply it. It's useless if they do not have and show love the way Jesus taught his disciples to love.

So what if mormons, pentecostal, jews, baptists, etc....................................................................................................................................................................

know the biblie from back to front! It's useless if they don't apply it. It's useless if they do not have and show love the way Jesus taught his disciples to love.

My first thought was "Who is this idiot?? Then I scrolled over to the left and saw that it was jw. "That explains it", I thought.

• nelly136
    nelly136

friends i've had over the years have been quite a mixed bag, being brought up to believe that only jws 'studied' or owned bibles it was a bit of an eye opener to find that even my unlikely pagan/ catholic/ baptist and others not only owned bibles they knew how to use them. and unlike me (when i was a jw) they had several different versions of bibles in their homes.

they were on the other hand quite disapointed by the lack of quality biblical/historical discussion they could get out of a jw knocking on their doors.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

They certainly do read it back-to-front, alright!

She needs to pop up North of the border. Here there a number of bible-saturated churches, where people read it morning and night as part of their religious duty.

I was shocked when I once started quoting a verse in Isaiah and heard the householder start repeating the whole chapter from memory!

Discussing the Trinity doctrine and Hellfire, etc., were regular staples of witlessing here. I could guarantee having to get my bible out at least a dozen times a morning, just to argue some point of doctrine with the churchgoers.

Unfortunately we were spoonfed a lot of nonesense about the world and its religions. We simply didn't have a clue and, even more unfortunately, some stay in that holding pattern.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

As a youngster I was told that Catholics were not ALLOWED Bibles. And I still don't know if that's an Historical Fact - but if so, then it was presented to ME as current practice.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

....and not only were Catholics forbidden to possess a Bible, but the services were in Foreign/Latin too, so the Congregation had no access to God's Word.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    ....and not only were Catholics forbidden to possess a Bible, but the services were in Foreign/Latin too, so the Congregation had no access to God's Word.

LoL. Another JW-prejudice/misconception/legend. But like all legends, there`s a seed of truth in it. It`s true that hundreds of years ago, catholics didn`t read/understand the Bible, because it hadn`t been translated, and it was a common thought among the clergy and "higher powers" that it wasn`t necessary for the people to understand/read the Bibles for themselves, they just had to obey the priest, come to service, go to confession, repent, say their prayers etc. And the services were held in Latin, that`s true. But this was hundreds of years ago. It`s not like that anymore. There are of course "remnants" of these things in catholicism, it`s probably the only church you will still hear some Latin, but it`s not like it was 300 years ago. Of course, that doesn`t matter to jws, they just suck up every bad thing they hear about other religions, and never forget it.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    The problem is I couldn't think of any non-JW that has an understanding of the bible as a christian ought to. To a degree she was right.

Your mothers assertion is ridiculous, and it seems to have effected your judgement in this

Every child that went to my school owned one and were directed to read and study their bible, with homework included, from primary school age.

I am not unusual among my piers an having read many versions, cover to cover. People that I have been associated with have studied it in the most detailed and encompassing manners. There are an enormous number of religious in the catholic church (I imagine the number is vast) who not just own one but have knowledge of the text at university level - and I don't mean the Awake kind.

The assertion is ridiculous - they compare themselves with simple people of certain religions who they find at home on a Saturday morning - those who read the bible most likely don't entertain them - I know I don't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit