JWs can quote you the bible back to front.

by Spectrum 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Consider this,I was born 1957 a 3rd gen JW from 1984 till my exit 1992 i spent tens of thousands of hard hours crunching texts from the NWT using the brute force rote method of memorization, (like flash cards for multiplication tables)

I memorized over 2,000 scriptures verbatim with cross references i was a walking Bible.encyclopedia,i did for the sole purpose of bonding with God's word to encourage others.

I know of no one who accomplished this feat,most JW's don't know their Bible.BTW all the elders and just about everybody else got wicked jealous.

• Terry
    Terry

Consider this,I was born 1957 a 3rd gen JW from 1984 till my exit 1992 i spent tens of thousands of hard hours crunching texts from the NWT using the brute force rote method of memorization, (like flash cards for multiplication tables)

I memorized over 2,000 scriptures verbatim with cross references i was a walking Bible.encyclopedia,i did for the sole purpose of bonding with God's word to encourage others.

I know of no one who accomplished this feat,most JW's don't know their Bible.BTW all the elders and just about everybody else got wicked jealous.

When I went to Federal Prison (Seagoville Federal Correctional Institution from 1967-69) I embarked on a memorizing plan.

By the time I was paroled I too had memorized a buttload of scriptures as "proof texts".

I had 845 scriptures committed to memory.

Like Danny I experienced the jealously from the brothers.

They would complain that all I had was "head knowledge" and not necessarily "heart knowledge".

I'd laugh at them and ask why it was me who had gone to prison for my faith and not them if my heart was in the wrong place.

That shut the bastards up.

T.

• MissBehave
    MissBehave

I think if we held an International Bible Knowing Contest an Amish guy would probably win.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    She replied, "They are the only ones with a bible in their house, the only ones that bother to actually read the Bible. Tell me one Catholic or Orthodox that you know that knows the front cover of the bible from the back. All they know is the odd prayer and when to buy Baileys Irish Cream for christmas."

1- Just when do jw's read the Bible itself? Only when it accompanies propogandized literature that corrupts it's meaning.

2- How can a person make such a wide brush stroke claim about all others? I know plenty of Christians to whom her statement would apply - but just as many that are very diligent Bible readers. How can she claim that broad statement without support?

Further - knowing how to quote the odd Bible text - out of context - is no accomplishment is it? If I could quote 25 Shakepearian statements with authority I could fool many into believing I was an authority on Shakespear, would I? Yet I would know more 'texts' than the average witness knows from his Bible.

Jeff

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I think this is an excellent topic to discuss, realistically, Spectrum. Some Witnesses know quite a few Scriptures off the top of their head. Are they the rule, or the exception? The implication of your mother's comment is that they are the rule. It isn't true. Those who have applied themselves to study more than the average JW stand out in this respect.

The average JW does not prepare for meetings, gets less than 10 hours in the ministry (and counts more than they actually get), uses swear words when out of knowing earshot of other JWs, dishes gossip and dirt about other JWs, uses the contacts at the Kingdom Hall for business contacts (think Tupperware Parties, Jewelry Parties, Candle Parties, Pre-Paid Legal, herb businesses, phone services, etc.), does not consider the Daily Text, has developed great skills in slightly rephrasing what the paragraph just said into "their own words", does not know how to do research on Bible questions (elders have been instructed to help the flock learn basic research skills for a reason), does not keep their yard and home neat and tidy, does not bring up children according to the instructions in the Family Happiness book (the "upgraded" Making Your Family Life Happy), does not read well, and has not read many publications (in their entire life) aside from those considered in the weekly meetings.

That is the average JW. But, sitting in the meeting, you notice the ones who aren't average, and somehow believe they represent the majority. They are the vocal minority. Try this exercise: Go to a meeting. Sit in the very back. Make note of how many never comment once, struggle to get to the Scripture before it is read (much less comprehend or consider the context and application), fall asleep at some point, distract themselves by looking at their fingernails or doing some calendar planning, etc. It will give you an entirely new perspective on "the average JW" if your congregation is like any of the ones I attended.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    struggle to get to the Scripture before it is read

This is the first thing i did was to memorize all 66 books 39 OT 27 NT in categorical order (i just did it for myself in 35 secs after not doing it for ten years).

Again,i only did it to cherish the word of God, i never did it to show off and they got insanely f**ing jealous.

Oh,here's one for ya,James 3:16-"wherever jealously and contentiousness are there disorder and every vile thing are" yup that be my last congregation.

They blundered big time when they gave me the boot!-Danny Haszard

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Just bring your mother to an evangelical bible study group where they study the bible, and only the bible, for an hour or two as a group. I guarantee you everyone in that group will do circles around your mother flipping from one scripture to the next.

Make sure you write down what your mother said before you take her and then quote it back after she experiences a bible study group.

Evangelical Christians know that they don't know Scripture as well as they should.

That's why they really study it, not for knowledge.

They study Scripture to get closer to God.

Watchtower meetings are designed to keep JW's close to the Faithful Slave instead of helping them get close to God.

That's why the Jehovah's Witnesses will never be close to God

• jw
    jw

So what if JWs know the Bible from back to front? It's useless if they don't apply it. It's useless if they do not have and show love the way Jesus taught his disciples to love.

===============================================================================

So what if ex-Jw's know the biblie from back to front! It's useless if they don't apply it. It's useless if they do not have and show love the way Jesus taught his disciples to love.

So what if mormons, pentecostal, jews, baptists, etc....................................................................................................................................................................

know the biblie from back to front! It's useless if they don't apply it. It's useless if they do not have and show love the way Jesus taught his disciples to love.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    So what if ex-Jw's know the Bible from back to front! It's useless if they don't apply it. It's useless if they do not have and show love the way Jesus taught his disciples to love.

So what if mormons, pentecostal, jews, baptists, etc....................................................................................................................................................................

While I agree with your point 100%, it bears out well that this could only be accomplished by individuals—it is impossible for an organization to do this.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    It's useless if they do not have and show love the way Jesus taught his disciples to love

Copy that jw,that's why Watchtower followers imitate the God that they worship which is NOT Jesus Christ but a counterfeit man made following.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit