Watchtower Does Not Consist Of Mens Opinions???

by Lady Liberty 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Hello everyone,

I have been trying reading Crisis of Conscience and I found a very interesting point that I thought I would share with you. On page 234 of the book it is talking about the after effects of 1925 coming and going with the failed prediction that the faithful men of old would be resurected that year and they would be Princes of the earth. Of course in the Watchtowers famous "way" they put all the blame on the readers instead of on those who wrote the material. For it was this material that put this idea into the publishers minds. The part that was amazing to me was in the 1980 yearbook telling of Judge Rutherfords visit to Switzerland in May of 1926 for a convention and his participation of a meeting in which this interchange took place:

"Q. Have the ancient worthies returned?"

"A. Certainly they have not returned. No one has seen them, and it would be foolish to make such an anouncement. It was stated in 'Millions' book that we might reasonably expet them to return shortly after 1925, but this was merely an expressed opinion."

Now, compare that statement with a later Watchtower...

The Watchtower, January 1, 1942 Issue, Page 5:

Those who are convinced that The Watchtower is publishing the opinion or expression of a man should not waste time in looking at it at all, because a man's opinion proves nothing except when that opinion is based wholly upon the Word of God.

(For actual Scan, go to : reexamine.org/quotes/scans/1942_w_jan_1_p5.pdf OR under Google, type in Watchtower January 1, 1942 ANd on the 1st page the 2nd from the bottom it has the site from Quotes.)

Interesting isn't it??

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

What I don't understand, is why, when they know, some of their ideas could be wrong, do they d'f you for believing different..????

I guess the answer is they want complete control...right?

• The Mayor of Turiwhate
    The Mayor of Turiwhate

It would seem that the WT never expresses opinions - until after it all turns to custard.

Then - and only then - it suddenly was "merely an opinion"; and the R&F were at fault for reading more into it than was meant!

I believe that this is called "CYA" - which means "Covering Your Backside."

It reminds me of what I have read about the Dervishes of the 19th Century Sudan:

- Their leader, The Mahdi, assured them that "their faith would render them bulletproof".

- However, if they did get themselves shot, it was all their fault - and theirs alone - for not having sufficient faith!

(I bet he stood well back from the front line once the battle started!)

Does anyone else here get the feeling that ALL of them are like the religious leaders of Christ's time i.e. making burdens for others that they are not prepared to carry themselves?

• Cellist
    Cellist

Yes, Mayor. There's nothing new under the sun. It just changes names.

Cellist

• freetosee
    freetosee

The thing is it’s working well for them. They are successful in blaming the brotherhood for wrong expectations and later when individuals fall away the full blame is pointed to the fallen apostates who are said to have initiated these wrong expectations and motives. Over and over again the WT prophecies failed and again and again the JWs take and accept it in eager anticipation of further new light. The WTS wants full control and gets it. The leadership demands obedience and takes liberty to contradict or zickzack their interpretations to whatever advances the society’s interests.

Freetosee

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

For example :-

w59 6/1 p. 347 The Resurrection Hope ***

Also, in view of the prophecy that Christ will make some of them princes in all the earth, it is but reasonable to conclude that those who proved their integrity in this life will have an early resurrection, especially since these are promised a reward

w61 1/15 p. 57 Angels—God’s Spirit Messengers ***

Since Jehovah God is a God of order, it is reasonable to conclude that his myriads of heavenly angels are organized,

w65 6/15 p. 369 par. 11 The Great Potter Molds Human Vessels ***

Secondly, none of the seven plagues of Revelation afflict God’s people, but the first three plagues of Egypt did affect the Israelites back there. So it is reasonable to conclude that in their prophetic application they would also affect God’s people now

w70 2/15 p. 120 The Days of Creation from God’s Viewpoint ***

" it is therefore reasonable to conclude that each of the other six "days" also was a period of 7,000 years.

*** w51 2/1 p. 95 Questions From Readers ***

in its issue of October 15, 1950, The Watchtower said concerning animals in the new world: "It appears that men will not kill them for food." The statement is not dogmatic, but goes on to show that it is reasonable to expect Jehovah’s original purpose relative to food supply, as given in Eden before man’s fall, will be ultimately realized in the new world

*** w73 9/1 p. 530 par. 24 A Language for All Peoples ***

It seems reasonable to conclude that at that time all faithful mankind will be united not only by the bonds of pure worship but also by the further blessing of a single language for all peoples, understood by all, and made possible by the heavenly Kingdom rule of the grand Creator of language, Jehovah.

*** w68 8/15 p. 499 Why Are You Looking Forward to 1975? ***

Since man naturally began to count time with his own beginning, and since man’s most ancient calendars started each year in the autumn, it is reasonable to assume that the first man Adam was created in the fall of the year

*** w68 5/1 p. 288 Questions From Readers ***

In paradise restored on earth it would not be out of order if men returned to wearing beards, in perfect fashion, like Adam in Eden.

• aniron
    aniron

I suppose it would be "reasonable to conclude" that the Watchtower is teaching a load of rubbish.

sidepoint:

***w68;5/1;p.;288 Questions From Readers***

"In paradise restored on earth it would not be out of order if men returned to wearing beards, in perfect fashion, like Adam in Eden."

So whats wrong with having beards now??

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

As far back as 1909, CTR, the founder of the Wt movement refered to the Watchtower magazine and the text therein as "divinely provided light" - Wt ' 09 pg 37

One of the features of this "divine light" provided by joe hoover was that Jesus had returned invisibly in 1874. He swore blind, till he was blue in the face, [yeah yeah I know those cliches again. I hate talking in cliches, even when its raining cats and dogs] that he could "see" this invisible presence, and he implied that anyone taking in this "divine light" could "see" this too. Thousands of that first generation of Wt followers claimed, with dogmatic assertiveness that they could indeed "see" this marvelous "divine light" sponored by joe himself. No, this was'nt "personal views expressed by men" It was the "divinely provided light" And you would be excommunicated from the fellowship for believing otherwise.

What in fact did CTR and his generation "see"? Nothing. They were conjuring up a mirage, a shattered dream of a pathetic old man.

Evidently, what was once "divinely provided light" magically became, through a theologically contrived alchemy, "an expressed opinion"

Now, 1914 is the "divinely provided light" and you will be expelled from the fellowship for denying this claim. Again millions of the faithful claim that they can "see" this marvelous "light" Given the tenuous nature of this teaching, how long will it be till this too will become merely "an expressed opinion"? Time, the greatest enemy of the WTS, will tell.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

What I don't understand, is why, when they know, some of their ideas could be wrong, do they d'f you for believing different..????

I guess the answer is they want complete control...right?

Dear Star,

Yep!! They want the control the respect, honor and glory, without any responsibility, when there predictions fail and their new light becomes old light, and then back to new light again!! It is their way of having their cake and eating it too!! They should be called the, "I say so company"!

SIncereley,

Lady Liberty

• rockhound
    rockhound

Thank you for your post, Lady Liberty!

If it is not man's opinion, then where is all this "New Light" that eventually becomes "Blinking Light", and then "Old Light" and then "Misunderstood Light", and then "We Wish we never printed that Light"?

Let's take a look:

The official position is well expressed in The Watchtower of 1931:

The Watchtower

recognizes the truth as belonging to Jehovah, and not to any creature. The Watchtower is not the instrument of any man or set of men. No man's opinion is expressed in The Watchtower. God feeds his own people, and surely God uses those who love and serve him according to his own will. (November 1 p. 327)

Furthermore The Watchtower (1943 July 1 p. 202) says: "Jehovah God is therefore the only Supreme Court of interpretation of His inspired word." The subsequent page adds:

To such remnant of faithful servants of Jehovah God Christ Jesus has entrusted all "his goods", or earthly interests of the Kingdom. This does not signify that the faithful remnant or society of Jehovah's anointed witnesses are an earthly tribunal of interpretation, delegated to interpret the Scriptures and its prophecies. No; Christ Jesus the King has not entrusted that office to them. THE SUPREME COURT STILL INTERPRETS, thank God; and Christ Jesus, the Court's official mouthpiece of interpretation, reserves to himself that office as head of Jehovah's "faithful and wise servant" class. He merely uses the "servant" class to publish the interpretation after the Supreme Court by Christ Jesus reveals it. (p. 203)

JW prophecies are known to have failed for many other dates. These include 1878, 1881, 1906/1907, 1912, 1914, 1915, 1918, 1920, 1924, 1925, 1928, 1930s, 1935/1936, 1942, 1940s, 1970s. ROCKHOUND

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit