Illegal immigrants and the increase in JW #’s in the USA

by cyberguy 22 Replies latest jw friends

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

I asked a JW fiend of mine, an elder in a Spanish Congregation in the USA (Ohio), how many of those attending were illegal immigrants. I was a little surprised by his answer that nearly all of them were! I suspect this is true of most of the JW Spanish Congregations in the USA. Since the numbers are falling in English Congregations, I’m wondering if the marginal increase in "publishers" is the result of the huge influx of illegal immigrants.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

BINGO! I think you've hit the nail on the head.... I'm from So. California and don't get me started on the illegal aliens...

• blondie
    blondie

The last CO through here admitted that if it weren't for the increase in the Spanish-speaking JW congregations that the US would show a decrease. I will say that there is a large influx of illegal immigrants into the local Protestant churches and many now have services in Spanish.

Blondie

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

There is an area in the northern part of Illinois called Waukegan and the locals call it little Mexico, because of the number of residents who are not native residents. Years ago I had friends who were in the Spanish congo there. I knew that the girls' dad was not a citizen and I knew that a lot of their family members who were living with them were also not legal residents. What amazed me was the number of them that were baptized JWs. When I inquired as to how that was allowed considering JWs take great pride in the whole, we obey the ruler of our country as long as it does not conflict w/ god's law, I was told that the congo would not rat them out to the authorities but rather encourage them to do what is right. The funnies thing is that I know for a fact that the girl's dad (who is now an elder) is still not a legal resident, yet he holds a position in the hall. I later heard that the congo was allowing for people to hold a position even though they were not legal residents because the congos were in such great need.

Funny how JWs pick and choose what is right and wrong. According to JWs you need two witnesses to report abuse, but it is okay for the whole congo to know that the guy who does the WT on Sunday is not a legal resident.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Yep found the same thing in in North Carolina. English congregations were dropping down but the Hispanic Congregations continued to grow and split. And 95 % were illegal residents and the Elders had no problem baptizing these folks even through they were breaking the laws. There was even one woman who was living with a married man who could not get a divorce in mexico because his wife was catholic. So these two lived together and had 5 kids, and she was baptized. The two adults were both illegals and the congregation had no problem sheltering these folks. If that had been going on in the English congregations the would would never have been allowed to get baptized. She was living immorally and they just ignored it.

If the hispanic population that were here illegally were forced out the JW Spanish congregations would dry up really quick. The USA numbers of JW's would drop by 1/2 almost.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

It's mainly asylum seekers here, from Eastern Europe. They aren't illegal immigrants as such, but many of them aren't citizens either. Some of them were starting to attend before I left, and one was appointed an ms, even though he had not obtained citizenship.

There are illegal immigrants in this area from other parts of the world, but I don't recall any coming to the kh.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I wonder what would happen if a law was passed that caused a religious organization to loose its tax-exempt status if it was found to be harboring illegal immigrants.

I bet the Kingdom Halls would look just like one of those large trucks after its pulled over by the INS... people scattering in every direction.

• blondie
    blondie

Balsam, the WTS has a way around the divorce problem...they used in many Catholic countries that did not allow divorce. They had to go through the elders and the WTS, with some statement and proof that they had "scriptural" reasons to divorce. Then when the secular government changed their laws, they would register their divorce and their marriage.

*** w77 3/15 p. 185 par. 38 Maintaining Marriage in Honor Before God and Men ***

Finally, if the marital relationship is not one out of harmony with the principles of God’s Word, and if one has done all that can reasonably be done to have it recognized by civil authorities and has been blocked in doing so, then a declaration pledging faithfulness can be signed. In some cases, as has been noted, the extreme slowness of official action may make the accomplishing of legal steps a matter of many, many years of effort. Or it may be that the costs represent a crushingly heavy burden that the individual would need years to be able to meet. In such cases the declaration pledging faithfulness will provide the congregation with the basis for viewing the existing marriage as honorable, while the individual continues conscientiously to work out the legal aspects to the best of his ability. A fact worth noting is that in many communities, and even in entire countries, the people themselves give little importance to the legal factors involved in marriage and are far more affected by what they actually see as evidence of a faithful marriage union. Nevertheless, even here the Christian should sincerely endeavor to take whatever steps are available, or that open up for him, to establish the honorableness of his union beyond question.

Also, there is a Question from Readers where they address the issue of baptizing illegal "aliens." I know of it because they use the same article to back up why the elders did not have to report child abusers.

*** w77 3/15 pp. 191-192 Questions From Readers ***

Take note that while Onesimus was in Rome the apostle Paul did not hand him over to the Roman authorities for punishment as a fugitive slave and possibly a thief. We know from his writings that Paul believed that a Christian should obey the law of the land, but plainly he did not consider it the congregation’s duty to serve as an arm of the government in policing individuals’ lives. Also, we can observe that Onesimus’ situation was not treated as a barrier to his getting baptized. Eventually Onesimus, likely motivated by counsel such as had been written earlier in Romans 13:1-5 and by Paul’s personal urgings, chose to return to his legal master.
    The Christian congregation today follows a course harmonious with this Biblical pattern. It does not, before allowing a person to get baptized or continue in the congregation, check to see if someone’s home meets every detail of the building code, whether he has satisfied every detail as to his legal status in the country, and so forth.

Blondie (not amazed that the WTS has a legalistic way to get around everything)

• wednesday
    wednesday

run a check on your school district and you will find out how many hispanic children are attending. That will give you a clue to how many illegals are potentially there This area is boged down with hispanic children, in fact the school near me is mostly hispanic. that is b/c this area is where they seem to be moving to. KH is doing big business here, lots of spanish brothers.Jws have long been know to violate immigration laws, they will hide illegals and criminals.

• BritBoy
    BritBoy

Ok, whose up for some more Kingdum Hall fun with Brit?

I am thinking of wearing a good suit, making a badge (ala Blue Peter) that looks all official and home office like. Waltz into a Kingdum Hall during the Witchtower Study and yell "IMMIGRATION!".... see how many people dash and scatter in every direction. I am thinking Coventry or Loughborough areas to start with!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit