Jehovah’s (Hidden) Message Revealed (Why no TV ministry?) Terry Walstrom

by Dogpatch 45 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR
    Put the dubs on TV in a debate atmosphere for all the world to see and they look like absolute idiots with their indefensible arguments. Bluster and a quick answer are no match for the magnifying glass. :-))

It's not even a matter of it being "indefensible." The average dub cannot even debate the simpliest of doctrines, even if they were correct.

RR

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Thanks for the article Randy. I've been convinced ever since I started pioneering that the work JWs do has nothing to do with reallly getting the message out to the masses. Instead they prefer personal conversion of a few individuals year by year. It's eaiser to keep controll that way.
    They would rather have 10 fully indoctrinated and submissive followers as opposed to 100 people baptized only in the name of Jesus.
    I've never even seen a Kingdom Hall that has a sign with a reader board saying what the public talk is going to be. Has anyone ever seen this?

• Golf
    Golf

Welcome to the land of OZ. Many thanks for sharing this article with us Randy.

Golf

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Just like I have been saying: One step at a time, the WTB&TS will be found out for what they really are.....DECEIVERS! Too bad the R&F don't have the courage to revolt and force the REAL TRUTH out into the open. The true weakness and lack of thought of the average JW is embarassing to everybody. But there are other hard line questions the so called leadership will be forced to answer on camera.

• under_believer
    under_believer

I should be clear: I do not doubt the core premise of the essay, that the Watchtower has no real interest in saving lives or conducting an effective ministry. That much should be obvious to anyone simply from the methods and results.
    The only thing I was taking issue with was the stated motivation, amassing fortune, which I continue to disagree with.

• Anitar
    Anitar

Thanks Randy. No, the organization is too cowardly to bring their "message" to TV. I could think of at least

a dozen people who could discredit them in ten minutes (Oprah comes to mind). The American people

unfortunately have only a vague idea of JW's as eccentric, isolated do-gooders.

In response to the end of the Bethel Elders, and the Awake being cut in half, my dub mom said the society is

"pulling in their belt to prepare for the end." Can anybody tell me what the hell that means?

In other words, I say screw stuff like The Da Vinci Code (no offense intended). This is the real great

religious scandal of our time because it's real, and it's happeniung RIGHT NOW.

• ringo5
    ringo5

Another great article by Terry , it's good to see he's still writing

He makes some interesting points , such as Rutherford's scheming to wrestle control of the watchtower society and mold it in the span of a couple decades into Jehovah's Rutherford's chariot able to turn on a dime and go any direction he wished. It's maintained this same amount of control, only changing or softening it's stance , when absolutely necessary.

I do tend to agree, however , with the other poster who mentioned the organization now has taken on a life of its own. I personally don't feel that there's an out right real estate scheme at work, only to the extent that it's a means of survival, or rather the expansion, of the organization.

I also see another reason to keep the door to door preaching work as its cornerstone. One of the traits of a successful cult is to keep its members busy, busy, busy . If the TV ministry got going it may have the effect of undermining the door to door work, which is the primary focus and ultimately the treadmill that keeps the average dub busy. The the average witness may feel their service may not be as necessary as it once was, and then the average hours spent in the door to door work would start to lower. The hours that were once spent in the ministry, may become hours now spent on rational thought, more social time spent with family and friends (again not in a cult's interest )
    or worse yet the Internet.

So from a business perspective , the risk to reward ratio will probably keep the WTS out of the T. V. game for now. Too bad , it may have been fun to watch that show crash and burn ....

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Abolutely agree - and something I've always thought about.... Why hasn't the Society used modern technology to distribute such an important message? It isn't as though the Org is averse to it, after all, cars/transport are used in the FS to reach further afield.......in fact, the Org is wasting resources (petrol) by such an inefficient method. But then the Org doesn't pay, the R&F do.

The BEST exposure (and I've said this before on another thread) would be if Steven Spielberg made a film about the Org.......

• aniron
    aniron

I'm sure we have all thought at one time "Why hasn't the WT used televison to preach?" Or even to some extent now, the Internet.

Here in Britain we can get via satellite the various religious channels, God Channel, TBN, etc. We also have the Revelation channel founded by Howard Conder an exJW.

I was thinking can you imagine a Watchtower channel amongst those who are already broadcasting. What are they going to do? Have a brother give a 45 minute talk from a platform! A Watchtower study?? A drama ? Recordings of this years District Conventions?

The problem they would have is trying to make a program that would be entertaining that would hold peoples attention.

They would also be competing against all the other channels as well. People would be flipping between channels and wondering why the WT teach what they do and nobody else does. It would make people want to ask questions.

Even their own members would start to see differences.

Keeping the preaching work to one-to-one on the doors is a lot safer. 1) They are only dealing with one person at a time and can influence them. 2) Its also safer that their own members are kept a way from such channels as well.

The WT know that to go into the world of media etc would create more problems for them.

• lowden
    lowden

Wow......What an article!! Brilliant!

Peace

Lowden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit