JWD forum is another battleground for your souls.

by Spectrum 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    If you think about it, it's true.

We tell each other don't believe that, believe this. What's the difference? Constant shifting sands, one minute the grains are over here then we seek to blow them over there. Where are we running to who are we pushing where?

How can we not be like JWs when we seek to change the aspect of a person that they seek to change?

Have we become like them?

Spectrum- I have no idea what you said, but I like the way you said it. Now that is a joke you know, but I really do like the way you present things at times. Very much worded in a poetry way. .

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

If one isn't careful it is easy to slip into the mindset of "We're right, you're wrong". Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to let someone go their own way and truly draw their own conclusions.

However, it is also possible to extend a hand to help someone over a hump or who is looking for some answers without shoving propaganda or "anotehr religion" down their throat.

Dave once said to me "you have to be careful if you set out to slay dragons, because you can become one", very true thought.

WLG

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

*Dave once said to me "you have to be careful if you set out to slay dragons, because you can become one", very true thought.*

well said WLG.

man, how did Dave get so damn smart?????????

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Its also probably true that at least at first exiting we assume an adversarial stance when we encounter a viewpoint that reminds us of the Jw mindset. I felt that I had dragons to slay but I never wanted to attack the person, I wanted to free them from what I understood as superstition. I've mellowed with time a bit, in part this resulted form being put to task and my inability to argue effectively. I'm also wrong alot. OTOH if Christians feel persecuted by having there beliefs challenged or even disparaged how would a Hindu or Muslim feel in their presence?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Very much worded in a poetry way. .

Ha! First thing I thought when I read it was Haiku

If you think about it, true.
    each other don't believe, believe this. What is difference? Constant shifting sands, one minute grains here then blown there.
  • Shining One
    Shining One

If the subject matter of the board could be kept to the JW situation and not become a place to attack all faith in Christianity it would not be a 'battleground for souls'. What we have is:
    1) Embittered people who think they can 'get even' with God for 'letting them be so hurt and deceived'.
    2) Those who have lost all faith seeking converts to their new world view and confirmation that morality is foolish.
    3) Those who have emerged as Christians and seek to defend the faith in any way possible. A deeper purpose here is often the conversion of those who have left a cult into real Christianity.
    Rex

• anewme
    anewme

Jeesh! Maybe alot goes over the top of my head here! I did not realize this was a war zone website!
    I thought this was a place to vent and get stuff off our chest, maybe mobilize and do a bit of egging of Kingdom Halls and such,harmless, but serious proselytism of new found beliefs? Nah!

Ex JWs are probably the second most skeptical people on earth. This would not be a good place to announce you are the New Christ.

I thought we were all S-H-A-R-I-N-G here.

I am on my own journey to find my own personal religion, different than yours or yours or even yours.
    I am pretty confident my religion will not guarantee me a place on a cloud or petting a lion in paradise. What it will do is guarantee my sanity here and now and give me some comfort after what I've been through.

Anewme, stubbornly free now

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

1) Embittered people who think they can 'get even' with God for 'letting them be so hurt and deceived'.

2) Those who have lost all faith seeking converts to their new world view and confirmation that morality is foolish.

3) Those who have emerged as Christians and seek to defend the faith in any way possible. A deeper purpose here is often the conversion of those who have left a cult into real Christianity.

So once again I'm left to conclude that anyone not Christian is either 1. embittered or 2. immoral. Apparently you are doing the third option and defending your faith using any means possible, including insulting and character smearing those who disagree.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think ANY successful group has to be vigilant against groupthink. I don't think this board is NEARLY AT ALL as exclusive or uniform as the WTBTS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink

It is possible to have lively debate on this site without diminishing other's beliefs. To my utter amazement, I've found myself agreeing with PeacefulPete on occassion. I am fairly positive my cosy relationship with the Athiest/Agnostic crowd drives "Shining One" mad.

http://larche.ca/en/jean_vanier/publications/tapestry_2005/

• greendawn
    greendawn

I agree with jgnat, this forum rerpresents freedom of speech whereas the JWs are at the opposite end so the two can't possibly be in the same category and compared in the same vein.

There is nothing wrong with free debate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit