JWD forum is another battleground for your souls.

by Spectrum 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

If you think about it, it's true.
    We tell each other don't believe that, believe this. What's the difference? Constant shifting sands, one minute the grains are over here then we seek to blow them over there. Where are we running to who are we pushing where?
    How can we not be like JWs when we seek to change the aspect of a person that they seek to change?
    Have we become like them?

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

amen.

ahem....kettle......pot........black?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

We are the unwitting vessels used in an ongoing battle between Memes.

http://mwillett.org/Memes/mememission1.htm

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow
    If you think about it, it's true.

We tell each other don't believe that, believe this. What's the difference? Constant shifting sands, one minute the grains are over here then we seek to blow them over there. Where are we running to who are we pushing where?

How can we not be like JWs when we seek to change the aspect of a person that they seek to change?

Have we become like them?

What's the difference? We can choose to believe whatever we want and discuss what we want, to anyone we want. There's no invisible power that prescribes what we are allowed to believe and what we must reject. This is open and free debate. Show me an open and free debate inside the kingdom hall. It doesn't happen, because that sort of thing isn't allowed.

I realize there are always people here trying to convert others to their way of thinking or believing. Some of these people are quite unreasonable. Some of them just want to fight. They aren't looking for debate or on a spiritual journey looking for an answer to some specific question, they are trying to get converts. But most people just like to discuss things they have found something interesting about, and some of us like reading that sort of thing, whether we agree with it or not. Some of us like debating about it, too. That doesn't sound much like any kingdom hall I've ever been to.

As an ex-JW board, naturally many people are going to try to point out hypocrisy of the JW religion to its apologists. Why wouldn't we do that?

What do you want? All conversation to stop? Would that make you happy?

• under_believer
    under_believer

I agree with itsallgoodnow. What's the alternative? What changes in behavior would you like to see? You said

...that sounds WONDERFUL to me. Actually being able to discuss and analyze belief instead of having it imposed, and believe it OR ELSE? Heaven.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

Spectrum and freedomlover are right. I get sick and tired of all the implications that Christians (not JWs) are a bunch of ignorant, illiterate jerks. Now, nobody comes out and says that, but if you read between the lines, a lot of people honestly believe that.

• dido
    dido

As a new person posting on here, i find it quite therapeutic to have freedom of speech and to enjoy other people`s freedom to express what they believe, as we can learn from other people`s views, even if we don`t agree with them. I haven`t felt bullied, teased maybe, but i am so grateful to be able to connect with other`s after being isolated after leaving the borg.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

I will be the first to step up and say I don't CHOOSE to associate with JW's in my life because frankly, I'm really uncomfortable around them. That may very well be because of what I have been through - but part of this process I feel is getting to the point where I'm NOT uncomfortable being around witnesses. Some of the most precious people I've ever known are part of the JW religion. Do I discard them as a whole? Insult them and their beliefs by having an air of arrogance that I know more than them now? I feel that would be hypocritical regardless of what I believe. THat air of arrogance is one of the things I didn't like about some JW's. They are still people, who need to be shown love even if they aren't willing to do it first.

Don't get me wrong. I love the debate, but we should be able to walk away with a respect for that person still and maybe even a few new ideas or insights. Even JW's are examples to me at times, and the insight of why they have chosen what they have chosen. We are not going to get all JW's "out." Sometimes I think we need to explore the idea that SOME people MAY be better off staying JW's.

just my opinion.....

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

Since you are new here, welcome. I'm sure others will agree when I say I'm glad you left that silly religion. Isn't freedom of thought and speech a wonderful thing?

• greendawn
    greendawn

The idea is to inform them about the dangers of becoming JWs because we truly believe that we have a cultic organisation there. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's a case of trying to persuade someone about something by honest means and that's fair game.

More importantly we don't shun those that disagree with us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit