Having Surgery - I'm scared!

by liquidsky 18 Replies latest jw friends

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I am having surgery next friday and I am scared to death!!!! I am having a lump removed from both breasts and a biopsy done at the same time. Finding out the results of the biopsy is what is stressing me out the most. I have never had any health problems before, never a broken bone, or surgery of any kind so this is a bit of shock for me. It was kind of an accident that this all happend in the first place. I was sick with the flu and had a sharp pain in one of my breasts. I went to the doctor and they referred me to a radiologist to have a mammogram & ultrasound done because she couldn't feel any lumps. (mammoograms hurt!!!!!) The ultrasound showed a solid mass in my left and right breast. I went to go see a surgeon today and he said that it doesn't look like breast cancer, but he wants to take both masses out and do a biopsy to make sure. Has anyone here ever had this done? Is it painful??? This "not knowing if it's cancer" feeling is killing me........ I'm freaking out!

Sorry if my spelling is bad. Had a couple glasses wine to calm me down a bit .

Liquidsky

• Satanus
    Satanus

Being a guy, this kind of thing is unlikely for me. But, i know about the raw fear, and you have my sympathy, and my best wishes.

S

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

Liquidsky,

Sorry to hear of your distress.

I have had a couple of surgeries neither of which were fun but the recovery was pretty quick. It really isn't bad. You don't even know what is going on and then you wake up and they have pain medication until you feel better.

Though, I haven't had anything to do with looking for cancer. Your anxiety must be somewhat difficult to deal with. I have known alot of women who have had lumps in their breasts and they were told that it was just cysts and that is what they were.

I hope that everything turns out well. And the bright side is that while you recover you will be waited on hand and foot and will enjoy some relaxation time. Maybe you could get a couple of good books read.

Best wishes.

Loruhamah

• Robdar
    Robdar

(((((Liquidsky)))))

I wish that there was something that I could do for you to help ease your worry. Please know that my thoughts are with you. Also, please update us to let us know how you are doing and what the results are.

Robyn

• Purza
    Purza
    I went to go see a surgeon today and he said that it doesn't look like breast cancer

Focus on that and try to stay positive. I have not had that procedure done, but a close friend of mine has had it done -- more than once. Yes there is soreness after the surgery as with any surgery, but it wasn't overwhelmingly painful for her. And both times those lumps were negative and not cancerous.

You will be in my thoughts. Is it scheduled for this Friday (May 26)?

Purza

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Has anyone here ever had this done? Is it painful???

Yikes. Sorry to hear about this. I absolutely know the terror you are experiencing. I also had no history of serious medical condition, no broken bones and even still have my wisdom teeth.

8 years, 3 weeks, 2 days ago I had biposy of lymph nodes. I asked the question of each doc that I interviewed: In your gut, what do you think this is? They were pretty sure it was cancer. And it was.

A mixed-blessing sort of thing was arranged by my Internist. He worked with the surgeon to have the samples biopsied while I was still on the table to get a preliminary diagnosis. The primary reason for this was that, if positive for cancer, they would then do a bone marrow sample while I was under anesthesia. The mixed-blessing part was that I didn't have to suffer the days of waiting for diagnosis. On the other hand, while still groggy in the recovery, I knew the answer before my doctor even came to see me.

A friend of mine facing a similar surgery to yours got her doc to order the same deal. Prelim diagnosis while still on the table.

Can you talk to you doctor and ask if this is possible for you??

The fact that your doctor does not think it's cancer is a good sign. You can always ask other docs that you are talking to the same question. You can ask what other things it might be. Then ask: 'If cancer, then what??' 'If <whatever>, then what do we do?'

I found that taking time for myself was essential during the time leading up to diagnosis and definitely after. I make a point to find 'sunshine' every day. Something that I enjoyed and made me smile. When I needed to take care of the medical stuff, I was all over it. But I made sure that my medical situation didn't take over my entire life. Purposely set your medical concerns aside for at least a little bit every day.

Additionally, I planned a few days away following my biopsy. Regardless of the diagnosis, I knew that I needed to get away and just 'be'. My sister arranged for me to stay at a friends' beachhouse. It was a perfect setting for recouperation and reflection - regardless of whatever diagnosis was hanging over my head. I highly recommend this as well. Make plans now for something quiet and pleasant immediately following your surgery.

Keep remembering this:

I went to go see a surgeon today and he said that it doesn't look like breast cancer

That's very hopeful. Don't borrow trouble.

Hugs. I do understand.

-Denise.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I also know of several women in their thirties that had this biopsy done and they all came out negative. It was all unnecessary worry on their part prior to the biopsies.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

OK first

(((((Liquidsky)))))

The doctor says it probably isn't cancer. Many women do get cysts. It is a wise doctor that decides to check so you can both relax. But that doesn't remove the worry until the tests come back

I've had several surgery - none similar to yours. Once they knock you out you won't feel a thing. Doctors now try to make insicions as small as possible to reduce scarring and healing time. After surgery there might be pain but they will give you meds for that.

If you have had a baby - the surgery will be a cinch

BTW Satanus - man can and do get breast cancer - not often discussed but it does happen

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

Thanks for the replys And thanks especially to Denise. I have planned to take a few days off following the surgery and biopsy, Surgery in on the 2nd and I've planned to spend 3 days at Lake Chelan the following week.

I had another ultrasound today at the surgeons office and he said they are not cysts. The on on my right he thinks is a fibroadenoma and the one of left is "suspicious". He can't feel anything there, but a solid mass is showing up on the ultra sound. That's the one that is worrying me the most.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    following the surgery and biopsy and I am spending 3 days at lake Chalan.

Sounds lovely.

... the one of left is "suspicious". That's the one that is worrying me the most.

I understand. And it's all very overwhelming. Still, you don't have any diagnosis yet. Keep breathing - deep breathing. And a glass of wine could help, too...!

Regardless of what they find, even if you do need some sort of treatment, there are so many amazing things being done now. I was utterly fascinated at the technology that I was exposed to!! I just hated that it was *my* body that had to use it! It's much easier being on the other side of the table.

Hugs to you. PM me if there is anything I can do from here.

(btw - My cancer was not breast cancer. It was lymphoma.)

-Denise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit