Should you apologize????

by jw 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I too am sorry that I allowed the WTBTS to have control over my life. I allowed a publishing company wearing the veil of a prophet to manipulate my decisions and relationships.

WOW! I feel so much better now. Atypical and Honesty, I think you guys are on to something here!

• heathen
    heathen

Ahh poor (((misguided))) I thought my life sucked , not to say it doesn't but that really sounds bad .

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Yes, a person should never be too proud to swallow his pride, apologize, and seek forgiveness.

We're waiting for your apology, jw.

• Mary
    Mary
    Where is the cut and paste. I see no similarities for you to even infer that.

jw, you're so full of shit your eyes must be brown...........your cut and paste was taken from the November 1, 2002 Watchtower. Maybe you need to switch your meds so you know what you're writing about........

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'll take this on:

The issue is, not so much who is right and who is wrong, but who will take the initiative to make peace.

I can think of a few examples where this advice proved very, very wrong. When Hitler first started to prepare for war, Chamberlain of England took a concilatory stance (appeasement).

http://www.emayzine.com/lectures/WWII.html

History would prove that it mattered very much who was right and who was wrong.

Also, as a former battered wife, I know from experience how dangerous it is to take on the peacemaker's role when your opponent is bent on destruction. The example of Abigail does not fit. Her husband was the bully, and she effectively stopped him in his tracks. She knew David in his heart of hearts was a reasonable man. She negotiated with the reasonable one.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

*** w02 11/1 pp. 4-5 Apologizing—A Key to Making Peace ***

Yes, a person should never be too proud to swallow his pride, apologize, and seek forgiveness. Of course, for sincerely humble individuals, apologies are not so difficult to make.

The Power of an ApologyAbigail, a wise woman in ancient Israel, provides an example of the power of an apology, although her apology was for a wrong that her husband had committed. While dwelling in the wilderness, David, who later became king of Israel, together with his men protected the flock that belonged to Abigail’s husband, Nabal. Yet, when David’s young men asked for bread and water, Nabal sent them away with very insulting remarks. Provoked, David led about 400 men to go up against Nabal and his household. Upon learning of the situation, Abigail set out to meet David. When she saw him, she fell upon her face at his feet. Then she said: "Upon me myself, O my lord, be the error; and, please, let your slave girl speak in your ears, and listen to the words of your slave girl." Abigail then explained the situation and gave David a gift of food and drink. At that, he said: "Go up in peace to your house. See, I have listened to your voice that I may have consideration for your person."—1 Samuel 25:2-35.

Abigail’s humble attitude along with her words of apology for her husband’s rude behavior spared her household. David even thanked her for restraining him from entering into bloodguilt. Although it was not Abigail who had mistreated David and his men, she accepted the blame for her family and made peace with David.

Another example of someone who knew when to apologize is the apostle Paul. Once, he had to defend himself before the Sanhedrin, the Jewish high court. Infuriated by Paul’s honest words, the high priest Ananias ordered those standing by Paul to strike him on the mouth. At that, Paul said to him: "God is going to strike you, you whitewashed wall. Do you at one and the same time sit to judge me in accord with the Law and, transgressing the Law, command me to be struck?" When onlookers accused Paul of reviling the high priest, the apostle immediately admitted his error, saying: "Brothers, I did not know he was high priest. For it is written, ‘You must not speak injuriously of a ruler of your people.’"—Acts 23:1-5.

What Paul had said—that the one appointed as judge should not resort to violence—was valid. Still, he apologized for unknowingly speaking to the high priest in a manner that could be viewed as being disrespectful. Paul’s apology paved the way for the Sanhedrin to listen to what he had to say. Since Paul was aware of the controversy among the members of the court, he told them that he was being tried for his belief in the resurrection. Consequently, much dissension arose, with the Pharisees siding with Paul.—Acts 23:6-10.

What can we learn from these two Biblical examples? In both instances, honest expressions of regret opened the way for further communication. So words of apology can help us to make peace. Yes, admitting our mistakes and apologizing for damage done can open up opportunities for constructive discussions.

*** w02 11/1 pp. 5-6 Apologizing—A Key to Making Peace ***When we find out that someone was offended by what we said or did, we may feel that the person is being unreasonable or too sensitive. Yet, Jesus Christ advised his disciples: "If, then, you are bringing your gift to the altar and you there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar, and go away; first make your peace with your brother, and then, when you have come back, offer up your gift."—Matthew 5:23, 24.

For example, a brother may feel that you have sinned against him. In such a situation, Jesus says that you are to go and "make your peace with your brother," whether you feel you have done him wrong or not. According to the Greek text, the word Jesus here used ‘denotes mutual concession after mutual hostility.’ (Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words) Indeed, when two humans are at odds, there may be a measure of blame on both sides, since both are imperfect and prone to err. This usually calls for mutual concessions.

This is offered to make clear to any who reads this that the forum is not supporting the plagiarizing and posting of copyrighted works.

Now that your "treatise" on apology is duly sourced, please feel free to apologize for your clear plagiarism. Or feel free to show where the WTS has ever apologized (which is quite different from admitting error and fallibility).

Which of those disfellowshipped for their unrepentant acceptance of immunizations was apologized to?

Which of those disfellowshipped for unrepentantly divorcing their husbands "unscripturally" after discovering he had committed bestiality was apologized to?

Which of those disfellowshipped for unrepentantly refusing to keep quiet about child molestation was apologized to?

Which of those disfellowshipped for unrepentantly speaking out about the disgusting hypocrisy engaged in by means of an Associate membership to the United Nations Department of Public Information ever received an apology?

AuldSoul

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    atypical: I'm sorry for always doing what i was told, instead of taking the time to research things for myself. but I forgive me.

AMEN to that!

• jw
    jw

Again where is cut and paste.

I am a JW so knowledge is in me but no cut and paste .

Did you not notice grammer errors , if it was cut and paste there would be no errors.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Again where is cut and paste.

In the posting window, there is a row of icons and next to the smiley face () there is a quote icon. Click on that, and a yellow box appears. Paste the text that you have copied into this window.

If you do not know how to cut and paste, it is fairly simple. Find the text you want to copy. Use your cursor and highlight the text. Then either right click on your mouse or use the keystroke (CTRL+C is the copy function). If you right click on your mouse, a pop up window often appears. Select "COPY". When you want to paste, again either right click on your mouse or use the keystroke (CTRL+V is the paste function).

Hope this helps.

• under_believer
    under_believer

jw, you are a troll and liar.
    Multiple people have called you on your blatant ripoff from the Watchtower website, which you copied and then edited just a bit to make it look like it was from you. It is a word for word from that page that three or four people have independently verified. You even left in the original hyperlinks. This thread is going into my bookmarks, and any time you post, I'm going to trot it out again to remind everyone what a fraud you are.
    You aren't even a real JW--besides the obvious problems associated with a real JW posting on a board like this, no JW that I've ever known would exhibit the poor behavior you've shown in multiple threads.
    It's time to get a new username, because this one is shot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit