Should you apologize????

by jw 36 Replies latest jw friends

• jw
    jw

Yes, a person should never be too proud to swallow his pride, apologize, and seek forgiveness.

Abigail, a wise woman in ancient Israel, provides an example of the power of an apology, although her apology was for a wrong that her husband had committed.

While dwelling in the wilderness, David, who later became king of Israel, together with his men protected the flock that belonged to Abigail's husband, Nabal.

Yet, when David's young men asked for bread and water, Nabal sent them away with very insulting remarks.

Provoked, David led about 400 men to go up against Nabal and his household.

Upon learning of the situation, Abigail set out to meet David. When she saw him, she fell upon her face at his feet. Then she said: "Upon me myself, O my lord, be the error; and, please, let your slave girl speak in your ears, and listen to the words of your slave girl." Abigail then explained the situation and gave David a gift of food and drink.

Abigail's humble attitude along with her words of apology for her husband's rude behavior spared her household.

David even thanked her for restraining him from entering into bloodguilt.

Although it was not Abigail who had mistreated David and his men, she accepted the blame for her family and made peace with David.

At that, he said: "Go up in peace to your house. See, I have listened to your voice that I may have consideration for your person."1 Samuel 25:2-35.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Another example of someone who knew when to apologize is the apostle Paul.

Once, he had to defend himself before the Sanhedrin, the Jewish high court.

Infuriated by Paul's honest words, the high priest Ananias ordered those standing by Paul to strike him on the mouth.

At that, Paul said to him: "God is going to strike you, you whitewashed wall. Do you at one and the same time sit to judge me in accord with the Law and, transgressing the Law, command me to be struck?" When onlookers accused Paul of reviling the high priest, the apostle immediately admitted his error, saying: "Brothers, I did not know he was high priest. For it is written, 'You must not speak injuriously of a ruler of your people.'"Acts 23:1-5.

What Paul had saidthat the one appointed as judge should not resort to violencewas valid.

Still, he apologized for unknowingly speaking to the high priest in a manner that could be viewed as being disrespectful.*

Paul's apology paved the way for the Sanhedrin to listen to what he had to say.

Since Paul was aware of the controversy among the members of the court, he told them that he was being tried for his belief in the resurrection. Consequently, much dissension arose, with the Pharisees siding with Paul.Acts 23:6-10.

What can we learn from these two Biblical examples? In both instances, honest expressions of regret opened the way for further communication. So words of apology can help us to make peace.

When we find out that someone was offended by what we said or did, we may feel that the person is being unreasonable or too sensitive. Yet, Jesus Christ advised his disciples: "If, then, you are bringing your gift to the altar and you there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar, and go away; first make your peace with your brother, and then, when you have come back, offer up your gift."Matthew 5:23, 24.

For example, a brother may feel that you have sinned against him. In such a situation, Jesus says that you are to go and "make your peace with your brother," whether you feel you have done him wrong or not.

The issue is, not so much who is right and who is wrong, but who will take the initiative to make peace.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

The issue is, not so much who is right and who is wrong, but who will take the initiative to make peace.
    well, you seem to 'know' so much about it, so go ahead, feel free.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Isn't that copyright infringement? I'd recognise that writing style anywhere.

Ya might want to be a little careful with that, jw, as the WTS sued Quotes for allegedly infringing their copyright on the "word of god". Not very forgiving, huh? But they certainly are an apology...

Oh, and not referring your source is petty plagarism.

• heathen
    heathen
    Yes, a person should never be too proud to swallow his pride, apologize, and seek forgiveness.

Yah and I'm still waiting for the WTBTS to show humility and apologize for a hundred years of screwing with peoples heads over petty crap or stuff they got wrong . They aren't afraid to admit a mistake, just seems like they don't feel the need to apologize for it. I've noticed the congregation will do things in an underhanded way that they refuse to apologize for , but instead will try and justify .

• misguided
    misguided

I'm sorry...

that I was born into a JW family.

that I was made to feel left out growing up.

that as a child I was sexually abused by an elder.

that as a child I was sexually abused by another brother.

that I was baptized before I understood.

that I married before I was ready.

that my son-of-an-elder-ex-husband left me 10 days before our 5th child was born and moved in with a woman from his work, only to read in the local news paper that he had been arrested for cocaine possession.

that my ex-husband's elder father had a baby with my ex-husbands sister. The abuse (according to my ex-sister-in-law) went on even while in field service and started when she was about 4 years old.

that my 2nd jw husband was removed from my home by social services for abusing my children.

that my 2nd jw husband was convicted (30 day sentence and 1 yr probation) for threatening and harassing my children and me.

that I was raped by a family member...for which I was disfellowshipped for...and HE wasn't.

I am sorry, JW that you just don't get it.

• Balsam
    Balsam

When I see apologies from the FDS concerning their wicked twist on scriptures, I will be be glad to consider foregiveness. Otherwise I leave the matter in God's very divine hand's. I have no need for forgiveness because God has already extended his love and mercy my way and given me many blessings.

Balsam

• Gill
    Gill

((((((((((( misguided )))))))))) So sorry that you have suffered so much!

• jw
    jw

hellooooooo, little toe,

it is from the bible.

• jw
    jw

I get it, your life sux.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

You're right - I found it in your bible: http://www.watchtower.org/library/w/2002/11/1/article_02.htm

If your life is so great, and your life is so pure, why are ya hanging with a bunch of apostates?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit