Going to meet with an elder

by drew sagan 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Balsam
    Balsam

Drew Sagan, just make sure you have considered the worse possible consequences of being honest with this Elder. The tough thing is you never know how it will go and it is a roll of the dice no matter how anyone approaches it.

Balsam

• anewme
    anewme

Drew, sorry you must go through this temporary pain. But you will feel so much better when you are truthful with your friend about your doubts and feelings.

Afterwards you will feel a huge burden lifted from your shoulders.

We will all be thinking of you and please post how it all turns out.

Anewme

• Clam
    Clam
    This week i'm going to let the elder of my choice know I would like to talk with him and basically tell him I no longer believe it's the truth.

You're a brave man Drew. Very best wishes and please keep us updated. Needless to say I hope it goes as smoothly as it possibly can.

• rebel8
    rebel8

The only 2 words I want to say you are: DIGITAL RECORDER.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh
    My wife just wants me to talk to an elder. She has expressed acceptance towards whatever happens.

I certainly hope this is indeed the case. One thing that I've learned in my years of marrage is that if she aint happy, I aint happy (pardon my grammer).

Good luck. I hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted as your story unfolds.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Hi Drew -

I hope all goes well (as can be expected) for you with this. Will your mom and wife cut ties with you??

As far as your packet, you know that many here have compiled much information. Confession is working on a project, too, and has posted some of his information on JWD.

I'm a 'fader' but can sure respect a decisive DA-er.

Best wishes.

-Aude.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I just read the other responses...

TheListener wrote: IMHO: Don't get angry, don't get sarcastic, listen to his every word respectfully. Present your case in a mild mannered way and don't be dogmatic with your presentation. Then when it is all over he may shun you, df you or whatever, but he'll know in his heart that you weren't some rabid mouthed apostate but someone with a sincere good heart yearning for truth.

My impression of you from prior posts is that you could conduct yourself exactly like this. I, too, believe that this could have profound effect on your friend. Even if he doesn't accept your research, he will have to believe that you are extremely sincere in your decisions and it will pain him to proceed with a JC. The pain will be good for him. It may wake him to the reality of the org.

What a wonderful feeling when ou don't have to live a lie anymore. What mental relief.

Don't forget to Breathe.

-Aude.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I'm going to build a packed with all kinds of information and research on the WTS. Anything you guys think is exceptional to add would be greatly appreciated. Tuesday I'm going to let him know I want to talk, so I'll keep everyone up on the details this week.

Drew- what do you think that's going to accomplish? Do you really feel that you need to explain yourself to someone who, in the end, won't give a crap about you? They still have a hold over you. Attempting to explain everything you feel is really nothing more than an attempt, on your part, at getting them to see the light. But, we all know that won't happen. If I were you I'd just make a simple statement and walk out: "I don't believe the Watchtower is god's organization on Earth and I have no interest in putting my life at the mercy of the Watchtower's minions."

I so very much agree with the above. I wouldn't say a thing about what you believe or don't believe. If you really are going to go through with this, just keep it simple. Believe me, he will stop listening if you try to explain anything.

We left almost 10 years ago, never df'd or da'd. They totally leave us alone. Answer questions, but don't volunteer anything. It will just give them the ammunition they need for the gossip circuit. Believe me, there is one.

• streets76
    streets76

Hi Drew,

I was raised in the so-called Truth, but thankfully avoided baptism, etc. Something in my gut always kept me from making that final step. Anyway, good luck to you. I admire anyone that has the courage to stand up for what they think is right. It's the best example a person can set. My best to you and yours.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Here are 2 "Packet" ideas:

1) If there was always a "Faithful Slave' on earth since the time of Jesus, how come God instead chose the APOSTATE Catholic church to compile the true books of the Bible in the 4th and 5th century ? Wouldn't this "Faith Slave" have been the obvious choice?

2) Daniel ch 12 says in the time of the end "The true knowlege will become abundant". How are we supposed to view all of the false predictions and doctrinal reversals over the years?

FW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit