AAAAHH! I should've kept my damn mouth shut.

by Nosferatu 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

So, here's the story...

Me and my dad's relationship has been the shits for ten years. Just recently, I've been "coming around" more, and I should've known that I'd end up regretting it. I had the idea to build my own temperature chamber for baking tapes, and I needed an old microwave for a chamber. My father found one.

Now, on the other side of things, my wife's mother bought a new car, and decided that she'd like to give her old one to us. We already have two vehicles, and don't really have a use for a third. However, with the safety laws around here, it's hard as hell to sell an old car.

Now, I began working on my temperature chamber at my father's place (mistake #1) and seems reluctant to let me take it home to wire it up, when I own all the right tools to do it at home. This is very reminissant of when he wouldn't let me take my guitar amp with me when I moved out.

I also told him about the whole thing with the car (mistake #2). He now wants to enter into a parnership (what the fuck is with him and partnerships?) where we fix it up and sell the thing.

He's been involved in other dumb money-making schemes for as long as I can remember, and none of them have worked. He used to build utility trailers with one of our neighbours, but I think my dad ripped him off.

Now, I want OUT of this stupid thing. My wife doesn't know about me telling him about the car. I mean, we don't even have it yet and he won't shut up about this great idea. He'll step over anybody to make a bit of money. I should just tell him that my wife's mom is taking it to the auto wrecker.

I'm being reminded of all the reasons that I distanced myself from my father. Next he'll be intercepting my mail to find out how much I'm paying on my house (like he got printouts of my bank statements after I moved out)

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Just remember "no good deed goes unpunished". Good luck on what ever you end up doing.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I can't even begin to guess how you use an old microwave to "bake tapes."

Your Dad seems like a corker!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

All of a sudden, become EXTREMELY 'busy', with little time for ANYTHING.....

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Nos, you have a baby on the way, so you are going to be really busy soon, far too busy to be involved in money - making schemes with your dad.

He doesn't sound like the sort who would accept that as an excuse, but it's got to be worth a try. Good luck!

• luna2
    luna2

Refuse the car if you don't need it and let the mil take care of it....not to be mean or anything but if you have no use for it, why take on that headache. Then you can tell your father that your mil has other plans for the car and you won't be getting it. Not sure what to tell you about the tape-baking microwave experiment thingy...maybe just dump the idea for now until you can do whatever it is without your father's assistance. Good Luck!

• bob1999
    bob1999

"temperature chamber for baking tapes"

is that as in Ampex 456?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I have an old microwave you can have. Come and get it...!

And I want nothing to do with the 3rd car either.

Not everyone is out to get a piece of you.

Some people are just bigger drains on your emotions and life than is necessary and no matter how hard you try, you just cannot have a relationship with them.. Your parents sound like those sort of people. I know mine can be. One nearly all the time...

-Aude.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Well I was lucky Nosferatu, my dad did the right thing and died young (Hi Dad!).

You sound like a character yourself. Please tell us more about the microwave tapes business (I've heard of burning to disc).

shed experiment unc.

• bob1999
    bob1999

I can only think Nosferatu is talking about baking audio tapes. With some old analog audio tapes the backing degrades and turns to goo after many years. Ampex 456 is the best example. You can't play them without clogging up the tape machine. I have had tapes at the studio that just stoped the 2" Ampex MM1200 machine cold. http://www.tele-tech.ca/ttmain/30604-1.html

I have spent hours "baking" tapes so they could be played one more time to transfer them to digital. I use a common fruit dryer set at 145 degrees for 3 hours. I have to turn the tapes over every 20 minutes. It's a pain but it works most of the time without hurting the music on the tapes. When done the tapes do not stick together and play fine.

I have not heard of using a microwave for this, but there is a lot of things that I have not heard of.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit