Good-bye, Sylvester

by AudeSapere 28 Replies latest jw friends

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Today I must say good-bye to a friend I have known for 14 years. Sylvester was only four months old when he and his brother Scout moved in with me - a dog person - and my Australian shephard. The kittens were supposed to be pets for the 10-year-old. But I grew attached to them, too.

The 10-yr-old eventually grew up and moved out.

Scout died 7 months ago at home in my arms.

Sylvester grieved the loss of his brother/littermate. He seemed to age so quickly. My frisky, affectionate kittenlike cat suddenly went blind and stopped eating. He would cry at night. And sometimes I would, too. Especially the first week.

In January I moved to a nice new home with lots of sunshine and a patio area. Sylvester perked up and really seemed to like his new home. On nice weekends, we sat outside and had breakfast. Some work days I came home for lunch and Sylvester napped in the garden. His ears twitched in the wind and perked at the sounds of all the birds.

Clearly, though, he was not doing well physically. By the end of February I was giving him sub-q fluids and trying to encouarage him to eat. The vet put him on a low-protein diet. Some days he would eat. Most days he had to be coached.

Through it all, he was affectionate and purred everyday. He responded well to visitors and always used his litterbox.

For the past three or four days - he's not the same cat. He doesn't respond, refuses to eat anything and cannot use the litterbox. And he's lost his purr. Well, if you touch him very gently and stay very still, he does still have a very tiny, little purr - but it's not the same. I think this new purr is just to try and comfort himself.

I'm taking him to the animal shelter in about two hours. They will not let me be there when they euthanize him so I am holding him on my lap at home while I type this and remember all the fun and love we shared.

Good-bye, Sylvester. You brought us much sunshine. You will be missed.

-Denise.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

sorry to hear about the loss

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Ohh Denise - my heart breaks for you [I am crying as I am typing this]. Having grown up with pets, I have seen several pets age and pass away. It is so hard to take. Please take my greatest heartfelt sympathy. I am sending you love. I am sending Sylvester love. Peace to your heart and soul. Love Looking_Glass and Kitty Silvia

• luna2
    luna2

I'm sorry, Denise...that is so very sad.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Thank you WAC and looking glass.

I am just so sad right now. He's just so listless. I know I'm doing the right thing for him.

And he may be just a cat. But he's my cat. He was so cool and corny as it sounds, I learned alot from him. Both cats were there for me when I began my serious fade. The were good companions while I was trying to learn about life other than taught by WTS.

I really wanted Sylvester to enjoy his new patio. and the sunny windows with the wide ledges.

Damn. We're going to go sit outside and lap in a little sunshine before we go...

-D.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Oh Denise, I am so sorry to hear of your sad loss. You will be in my thoughts.

love

Linda

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Aw, you're making me cry too! That's so great your cats were good companions to you, I know my little Charley is a great friend.

So sorry for you.

• just2sheep
    just2sheep

audesapere,

they are never just cats. mines name was cuddles and she lived with me for 17 years, she has been gone almost that long and i still miss her sometmes. perhaps sylvester's weak purrs are an attempt to comfort you...you know how kitties are.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Denise, you are doing what is best for Sylvester. Growing up we had a doggie that had congestive heart failure. He was slowly dying. I ended up having to take him to the vet because my mom could not let him go. I was by his side when the vet put him down. Again, my heart breaks for you. Sylvester is a member of your family and I know what you mean when you say he was there for you during some tough times. Pets love us unconditionally, regardless of our beliefs or lack thereof.

• Cabin in the woods
    Cabin in the woods

Oh Denise,

I am so very sorry. I wished that they would let you be there.

I am an animal person so I can understand what you are going through. It sounds like you two had a wonderful relationship.

Thank heavens Sylvester and his brother found their way to your house!!!

Hugs and Love ,

Mary

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit