What Is A Religious Cult

by RevFrank 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

Being around comparative religions for almost 50 years I've seen many religions come and go. Of course a cult is basically when people get together and follow what ever it may be.

Now when we come to religions...anything can go...Why? Anyone can create a religion.

So I have gathered together some info on religious cults compared by orthodox christianity....

What is A Cult?

The media views such groups as Jim Jones’ People’s Temple and David Koresh’s Branch Davidians as cults, but not groups such as the Jehovah’s Witnesses or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons). Really? lol

The dictionary defines a cult as "a group of followers." Well, that's not saying much.

Psychologists and secular counter-cult organization define a cult as a group which deviates from cultural norms, not according to the doctrine of the group. Christians define a cult primarily as a group whose doctrine departs from biblical teaching and historic Christianity. For example, the American Family Foundation says, "It is the use of deception and unethical manipulation, not a group’s theology or ideas, that qualifies a group as a destructive cult." But this definition is inadequate because bad behavior follows bad beliefs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the Christian, Dr. Walter R. Martin states:

"A cult, then, is a group of people polarized around someone's interpretation of the Bible and is characterized by major deviations from orthodox Christianity relative to the cardinal doctrines of the Christian faith, particularly the fact that God became man in Jesus Christ." (The Rise of the Cults, page 12).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another good Christian definition is:

A cult is any group that claims to be Christian, but whose teaching and practice actually contradict the standard, orthodox, Christian doctrine and practice found in the Bible and expressed by historic Christianity

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cults are identified by two major characteristics: (1) Although they usually pose as being the true expression of Christianity, or an effort to restore true Christianity, cults possess distinct religious beliefs not found among any other groups. These beliefs are almost always based on extra-biblical sources either from other writings or by the leaders themselves. (2) Cults also usually have a highly centralized leadership structure that requires complete loyalty that belongs only to Jesus Christ

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patterns in the Cults

The four basic operations of math, when applied in the following manner to any religious group, will aid Christians in detecting theological errors which characterize a cult.

+ ADDITION +

Does the religious group under consideration add to the Word of God through indispensable publications that claim to give the Bible's clear meaning or through present-day direct revelation from God? In other words, the Bible alone is not the source of authority.

- SUBTRACTION -

Does the examined group subtract from the person of the Lord Jesus Christ by making Him less "God" than His Father or by elevating man one day to become like Him? Does the group subtract attention and loyalty away from Jesus Christ in order to focus on allegiance to the group.

x MULTIPLICATION x

Does the group under consideration multiply the requirements for salvation by making works a necessary condition?

The system of salvation for many of the major non-Christian groups can be better understood by the formula:

FAITH + WORKS = SALVATION

The biblical plan can be described by the formula:

FAITH = SALVATION + WORKS

÷ DIVISION ÷

Does the religious group in question divide the loyalty of its members between God and itself and its leaders? Also, does the group make devotion to the organization or leader a test of faith and consider adherence to itself the vehicle of salvation for the follower?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Biblical Teaching on False Teachers

The following passages shed light on the identifying marks of cult leaders:

Deut 18:22; Jer 24:16-32; Ezek 34:1-10; Matt 7:15-20; Matt 23; 2 Cor 11:4, 13-15; Jude.

Characteristics of a Cult or Spiritually Abusive Group

These characteristics can also be found among some Christian groups. In such cases, this is called "spiritual abuse."

Exclusivity - they are the only "ark of salvation." You can’t leave and be saved ("breaking up is hard to do").

Elitism - all other groups are inferior, apostate, or false; it’s "us against the world."

Information control - They decide what you should know and believe. You are not free to read or listen to other sources.

Submission - to the leader and group is required, usually a special title must be used when addressing the leader.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.frontlinemin.org/

----can be found in the web site

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another cults can be found

http://www.believersweb.org/view.cfm?ID=620

• greendawn
    greendawn

To me they are a cult if they exert intense psychological pressure on their members, if they have an authoritarian centralised power structure and if they have strange unbiblical beliefs and absurd ways of reasoning.

• Noggin
    Noggin

Maybe this is overkill. I had to come to grips that Mormonism exhibited cult like behaviors and traits. Here is an essay I wrote as I worked through this. I can't tell you how painful it was to realize that, even if Mormonism was not a 100% bonefide cult, I had been manipulated to significant degrees by my parents and peers... without them even knowing it. This piece addresses it. To see the most convincing case against Mormonism as a cult, scroll down to item #14 below. Posted last year 2005 to an EX Mormon recovery board: Disclaimer: I don't entirely believe that the Mormon church is a cult. I seriously studied it though and found evidence that suggest it could be significantly argued that it is a cult. I outline what I found below. As a side note: In many ways, the US Marine Corp could also be construed as a cult. I actually believe the Marine Corp and AMWAY/QUIXAR are as much a cult as the Mormon church is. I don't know what that says. The fact remains that there definately ARE cults among us. The other blatantly obvious fact is that anyone inside a bonefide cult will never see his or her organization as a cult . Which is why I delved into this research: Subject: "We are NOT a cult"... some observations on this Mormon statement Date: Jan 19 2005 Recently, I finished Steve Hassan's book "Combating cult mind control". I looked to see if the Mormon church would be brought up as an example of a cult and it was not. The book focused more on the destructive cults like the Moonies, The Way, The people's temple (Jim Jones) etc. Hassan was a top Moonie recruiter for 2 or 3 years and after a debilitating accident, he was wrenched out of the Moonie cult and deprogrammed successfully. He never returned and has since spent his life deprogramming other cult members. Throughout the book I drew cult parallel after cult parallel. Until I read this book, I never considered the Mormon church as a cult. I concluded that the church takes on many prevalent cult characteristics. The last chapter in particular hit me that my mission experience in Spain was the biggest parallel to Hassan's Moonie cult experience. The Mormon temple experience also takes on significant cult characteristics. Here is my observation list... in progress of course: 1. In Temple worthiness recommend interviews, members are told that the interviewer represents Jesus and should answer all questions as if they were talking to Jesus. This is a break down of barriers designed to condition the member to completely submit to the Mormon church’s authority. Also, the temple worthiness factor by itself is a good example of exclusivity that many cults try to foster in purification rituals and the like. 2. Naked touching in the temple washing and anointing ritual also breaks down barriers, creates submission to church authority [This "eternal" (decreed by christ himself) ordinance was changed in Jan 2005] 3. A new, secret, name given to the new temple initiate suggests reassignment of identity 4. Temple endowment experience is hypnotic, produces a relaxed, even sleepy alpha like state for receptivity to church indoctrination, oaths, instruction, commitment. I observe it to be similar to the Moonie repetitive indoctrination sessions where chanting, singing, and long periods of lecturing happen. 5. Secret signs, tokens, passwords are required to be learned in order for the initiate to gain access into the Mormon heaven. If one does not have this exclusive information, they will be denied access past certain angels along the way back to God's presence. This is an element of control designed to produce exclusivity. Incidentally, one of the strictest requirements in Mormonism is the financial tithing requirement. If a Mormon does not pay a full 10% of his income to the Mormon church, he cannot enter the temple. If one does not enter the temple, he does not learn the secret handshakes and pass codes. Hence, he will be denied full access into the highest of Mormon heavens that includes being with his family for eternity. I find that particularily disturbing, as this could be seen as buying ones way into heaven. 6. Requirement to wear church approved underwear night and day, conditioned to believe they possess special protections. Another possible design to control behavior and mind set via exclusivity. 7. Strict tithing requirements. Yearly face to face confrontation with a high church authority to declare to him (as the lord’s representative) how much money the member was able to give to the church. In addition to monetary contribution, members are encouraged to give everything that the lord blesses you with even ones time and talents to the building up of the LDS church. This is a type of tithe on ones life. In addition to tithes, generous fast offerings are encouraged. Giving to other charities or worthy causes outside the church is heavily discouraged. The member intuitively knows that the tithing, fast offering, missionary funds and perpetual education funds must be donated to first... and only THEN should outside charities be considered. This type of cult characteristic, to me, falls under extreme duress to give only to the church organization. The member is even told that if the tithing is not "honest" they will literally be burned alive from the fires at Jesus' second coming. 8. Outsiders not permitted to enter the temple once it has been dedicated to Jesus. More exclusivity. 9. Most members believe Jesus literally walks the halls of the Mormon temples and no other buildings on earth receive this privilege. Mormon temples are considered to literally be Jesus' houses on this earth, The Houses of The Lord. There is only Faith promoting rumors to back this up of course. Yet it is a very strong and widely held belief in the church that this is so. More substance to "Our Mormon Church is the Only True Church". 10. There is a polarized Us vs. Them mentality. The LDS testimony conditions members to “know” based on feelings that they are the only ones on earth with the Truth or approved plan of God. Everyone else is wrong and must be saved or baptized into the LDS church. This doctrine goes as far as to maintain that every living human who has ever lived in this earth must be baptized. Even posthumously. While logically impossible, the doctrine is widely believed. God will figure it out. This rationality is supposed to support this impossibility 11. LDS church probably has more evidence to prove it false than it does to prove it true, yet members who delve into this and remain faithful to Mormonism see this "contra" evidence as a test of faith and God’s way of strengthening his "Elect". Members have been conditioned to never look at naysaying apostate material. This is very similar to the Jehovah's Witnesses and Moonie approach that outside information is evil and falls under satanic origins. Anything that could potentially deprogram a JW or Moonie is satanic as it leads that person away from God and ultimately places ones very eternal soul in peril. Family members, spouses, newspaper articles, radio... and ESPECIALLY the internet are all to be used carefully in protection of one's testimony. 12. Members are encouraged strongly to never look at “anti” literature. Yet early apostles encouraged the discovery of truth and preached openly that truth would stand up to highest degree of scrutiny. This was before damning evidences to the church's platform of ideology was widely known or even challenged. During this era, the church had a sense of infallibility as the saints were securely sequestered in the desert of Utah. Completely isolated from the outside world. 13. Bishop interviews are obsessed with sexual purity for the youth & missionaries. Young people are routinely screened several times a year on a one on one basis for participation in masturbation acts. Masturbation is seen as a chief detractor for spiritual growth. These screenings or "interviews" are conducted by a grown man holding Mormon authority. This happens in a closed room with all young males and females starting at age 13. Young people must disclose any sexual acts, even minor ones. This young person (male or female) believes they are talking to Jesus Christ's representative in these interviews. Lying to the bishop is equated to lying to Jesus. Adults have been told which sexual acts are permissible and which are not. Though, this is not consistent throughout the church. 14. Missions are extreme examples of Cult experience. A. 80 hrs a week free labor (Missionary makes no money) in fact the missionary pays largely for his own meals, lodging, transportation and clothing out of his own pocket. The missionary is told that the 2 years in service is a "tithing" of the first 19 years of his life that God gave him/her. B. When not working in field one is encouraged to read scripture & pray constantly. Other approved activities are studying and mastering more effective conversion tactics. Role playing is done to become conversant in how to defend the Mormon faith in all aspects. C. High amounts of self-indoctrination and mass indoctrination at zone and district meetings. Guilt tactics are known to be used. If low recruit numbers are happening, the missionary is frequently blamed for not working hard enough. Reasons for low recruit numbers are tied to unlikely reasons such as a lack of focal dedication or commitment to mission rules or even a suggestion that too many missionaries were masturbating too frequently in the past month. I find this to be a gross abuse of mind control. D. Encouraged to frequently recite scripture and hymns, carry a prayer in ones heart at all times so as to fortify ones efforts to keep rules, remain "sanctified to the cause" and not have impure thoughts or masturbate. Missionaries are encouraged constantly to "cleanse the inner vessle" because impure "vessels" are ineffective conduits for the spirit of the Lord to reach potential recruits. I found that doctrine to be a gross abuse of the mind. No matter what the missionary did or did not do, he could always be blamed for his lack of success. Euphoria often came to the successful missionary. Baptisms gave the missionary "signs" that his efforts were being rewarded by God. Missionaries who did not baptise on their missions often experience significant degrees of frustrating introspective moments. Many become depressed. Especially when that missionary believes they are following the rules and regulations. They feel like God is not rewarding their diligence for a reason and may seek out more complicated ways to be more obedient. E. No outside media influences, no TV, no radio. Ever. Not even newspapers. F. Must always be with companion except for showers and toilet G. Confined to one area in the city, not permitted to go outside geographic boundaries. Ever. Unless a missionary conference (a type of spiritual rally) is scheduled. This travel requires permission. H. Extremely limited contact with family is strictly controlled, letters once a week, no phone call home but twice a year on Christmas and Mother's day. I. Primary job is to recruit new members, give the prospect sanitized "milk" doctrines only and NO meat doctrine. Deception (by only telling the rewritten version of the church's history and doctrine) is encouraged most often without the missionary NOT knowing he is testifying to untruths. If the missionary has not come to grips that he "knows" that the Mormon church is the only True Church on the face of the earth, he is encouraged to testify to new potential recruits regardless and that he will eventually feel some feeling that will tell him that the Mormon church is indeed the Only True Church of God. This could be an example of self-indoctrination technique found in many One and Only True Churches. I have numerous examples. J. Every person met is sized up as potential recruit,.. and relationships are discarded or severed when the individual proves he is not interested in joining. This is jusitifed with a mind set that "The Field (the missionary's city) is ripe, all ready to harvest". Each missionary generally has an urgency to find the souls that they "know" god is preparing for them to convert. K. Current members are badgered for referrals for new recruits, friends and neighbors L. Loaded language and Mormon specific acronyms abound. The mission has a similar structure to rigid military chain of command. Missionaries place themselves in subordination accordingly. Obedience is stressed as the pinnacle and paramount objective. If one is not a successful missionary, he is told he is likely not obedient enough. Missionaries are required to carry with them at all times, in their front left shirt pocket a white 3 inch by 3 inch copy of missionary regulations and rules. This mini pocket book is called "The White Bible". Missionaries are supposed to read it once a month at least. M. Missionaries are required to write a letter to the Mission president every week without fail. They are encouraged to report any abuse or out of step activity by their mission companion. They are supposed to divulge their inner most thoughts and report on personal progress towards goals set with this president. If the missionary is found to masturbate, he is required to discuss his failings or successes (abstainment) with this topic in the letter. 15. If one ever leaves the church, they are told and conditioned to think they will be sent to outer darkness in the afterlife. There is a fear of imminent damnation if they leave the group. 16. One man (the prophet figure) speaks for God. Members see this as extremely positive as they believe the prophet will never lead them astray. When confronted that prior prophets in history have been wrong or even preached harmful doctrine that was widely held up as God's word (racial discrimination) the member quickly dismisses this. This is supported by the perceived good works the church produces and the notion that Mormonism produces good people and strong families. Subject: Additional thoughts, Why LDS church not considered a "destructive" cult... Date: Jan 19 18:11 Author: Noggin After posting my thoughts, I have been thinking as to why the LDS church is not considered a destructive cult. I can only come up with this: It must be the family aspect of the church. Destructive cults like the Moonies, The Way, People's temple recruit individuals and isolate them from family, friends etc. The LDS church is not like this per se. I can see the reaction from nonmember families who have a child join the LDS church. They would likely see their child joining a Moonie type cult. There is no getting around that. But for the multi generational Mormon family, the destructive cult personality is merely a "way of life". Uncle Larry and Aunt Millie are all Mormon. Everyone is also Mormon in this familial environment... The church does promote family values and unity. No one can deny that the family is paramount within the church. I know, there are many here that would dispute the church's fame for family values... for some of the following reasons: 1. The parents are kept busy all week with various callings and assignments (home/visiting teaching, callings, service assignments, Cannery, sugar beet farm, chicken farm or any other LDS owned business service, cleaning the chapel, moving entire households w/ furniture in and out of the ward, visiting the sick). Some of these items are not in and of themselves bad things. I believe in serving outside of ones self. But the implication that these items are required and the guilt associated with NOT doing them or turning down an opportunity to do them is what I consider cult like. There should be no guilt. Anyhow. Guilt does abound in the church in excessive amounts. Hence the stats for Prozac type drugs in Utah are excessively high. Bottom line if the parents are busy being bishops and relief society presidents the kids get left on the back burner. This is most unfortunate. This was my experience growing up. 2. Sexual abuse has happened in the church, and in LDS families. Thus a black mark could be assigned to the church on this alone. I am not sure how far above average occurrence this abuse is happening. I don't deny it happens but the question could be is the LDS church more guilty than normal. Caveat. I am not saying sex abuse is normal. I abhor sex abuse. I think I am clear as to what I am saying. Definitely, sex abuse negates the family values. 3. Families are Forever yet if one of your family members leaves the church or becomes wayward, there is a definite tendency for the still devout Mormon portion of the family to shun the "straying" family member. This is hypocritical even though article of faith #10 says [Mormons] believe that all can worship however they please. Such intolerance and hypocrisy puts into question the true groupthink of Mormon family values. There are many more reasons I am sure. I am just trying to display an open approach to this. So I guess while not necessarily a destructive cult, what I am concluding is that it is a Cult... for the entire family. Thoughts and comments appreciated Noggin

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

JWs hate being called a cult but, to me, the words "cult" and "Jehovahs Witnesses" go together very well.

Does the religious group in question divide the loyalty of its members between God and itself and its leaders? Also, does the group make devotion to the organization or leader a test of faith and consider adherence to itself the vehicle of salvation for the follower?

With regard to those two questions, in the jws case the answer would be "yes" to both.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

"And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. " - Matthew 24:4 Do You Belong To A Cult? related thread here at JWD Jehovah's Witnesses destructive cult- Faith based belief systems fall mostly into 3 categories:
    1."mainstream" mostly benevolent in my observation, you go to services once a week & socialize
    2.the "sects" sort of on the fanatical fringes
    3. the CULTS destructive, high demand,high control often apocalyptic

How are cults destructive? they destroy:
    A). identity
    B). sanity
    C). bank account

The above is my opinion.What does the Bible (Jesus) say?Jesus tells us how to determine the malevolence/benevolence of a group.

Matthew 7:15-16 "be on the watch for the false prophets who come to you in sheep's clothing but inside they are ravenous wolves"by their FRUITS you will know them"

The fruitage of the Watchtower cult is rotten to the core,no other major religion alienates and disenfranchises so many victims per capita as Jehovah's Witnesses. ----------- Jehovah's Witnesses are the'perfect storm' of deception in a word they are the cult of Innuendo-Danny Haszard Bangor Maine

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Rants 'n' Raves: Blood May Flow
    Wired News - 42 minutes ago
    ... You list that Jehovah's Witnesses do not undergo blood testing. ... In fact, I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and plan on going into the field of genetics. ...
    Lies fraud and deception to exalt their cult.

There is a 90% chance this (I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and plan on going into the field of genetics. ) is made up and they lie like this all over

• atypical
    atypical

www.cultwatch.com

just found this site and thought it was good

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Question: What Is A Religious Cult?

Answer: Someone elses religion.

To the Jews and Romans of the first Century, early Christianity was a cult.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Noggin,

JW's think that missionaries are given a house at the end of the 2 years. Some said that to me yet again the other day. Is that true? One of your comments was that missionary service is a tithe.

• Noggin
    Noggin
    Noggin,

JW's think that missionaries are given a house at the end of the 2 years. Some said that to me yet again the other day. Is that true? One of your comments was that missionary service is a tithe.

Fact: Every missionary feels the obligation to pay for his two years expense out of his own pocket. Some parents end up paying for the 2 year mission, but the more honorable 19 year old pays for as much as he possibly can working summer jobs, selling his car. If the 19 year old is being coerced into serving his mission, he likely will not feel the obligation to pay at which time the parents and/or local high counsel might step up and pay the $400 a month it costs to go. Fact: There is no house given to any Mormon missionary at the end of the mission. If there is, I got ripped off. And I was an extremely devout, highly successful, higher ranking Zone Leader missionary. Fact: It used to be quite common that the honorably discharged Mormon missionary was given acceptance into the "Lord's University" a.k.a BYU. But he still had to pay the tuition and living expense. Speculative: Mission presidents more often than not are well to do 40 year old or older men and women (the couple serves in this capacity together), many are given church employment in Salt Lake through connections formed while serving as a mission president. (A mission president is the steward over the lives and service of about 200 young men and women missionaries). Fact: My Mormon local authority told me that the full time two years served as a missionary was indeed a tithing on the first twenty years of my life that the Lord gave me. This was reiterated more than a few times in my mission. It made sense to a lot of us at the time. Hope that helps. I am open to any and all questions Noggin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit