Loss of Elders

by metatron 42 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Large numbers of JW congregations are going to be trouble long before they lose their last elder to death or resignation.

Most congregations I know have at least one - and often several - elders who can barely function at all, due to illness, old age

or just plain inability to accomplish anything. The Society seems loathe to remove these men, despite their 'elder in name only'

status. I find it interesting that the Bethel downsizing is being spun to help English congregations that need brothers. More correctly,

they need brothers that can actually perform their 'duties'. In addition, the few brothers left who are competent often end up getting run

into the ground by ceaseless responsibilities that no one else can - or will - handle. The ever witless Service Dept. never understands

that brothers get burned out because other elders make a habit of shirking.

One of the most hilarious things you can witness is a meeting with the Circuit Overseer in which various brothers get into a debate

about which one of them should shoulder real responsibility - which they're all trying to avoid. ( "Brother Lax can certainly do the school....

.... "Why, No I can't - and , in fact, you should do it!").

Other amusements concern trying to maintain a sense of discipline while various brothers are in a shirking mood. The C.O. wants

to 'fire' the Accounts Servant but finds that no one will take the job!

It's going to get interesting....

metatron

• sir82
    sir82

In one of my previous congregations:

There are 2 elders over 80, one is virtually comatose, so drugged up on pain-killing meds that he is does no more than occupy a seat on the occasions when he can attend a meeting. The other, the service overseer, is legally blind.

There is another in his mid-70's who has already started down the slippery slope of dementia.

Another is 60ish, with enormous health problems.

Two more are in their mid-30s, one is an accomplished "shirker", the other has the reasoning ability of a pre-teen.

The PO, around 70 or so, left the congregation to move to Florida to be near his family there. This left the congregation in an uproar, as there was no one competent enough to be PO in his absence.

The solution? Name as PO a 50-something elder who has been removed as an elder 3 times previously, after each of his 3 oldest children got either D-F'ed or reproved. He was recently appointed again, for the 4th time. He has a young-teen daughter, more precocious than the other 3 combined....everyone knows it is just a matter of time until she does something to get D-F'ed / reproved, and he has to step down again. But until that time comes, he is the only one "able" to serve as PO.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

at the congregation where i grew up, the whole generation of men my age, are all either df'd, inactive or their wives drag them to the meetings just enough to keep them from being df'd.

the elders are all 65 or older,( 3 of 5 are near or over 80) and the next group of men that seem theocratic are all young men ... there is a mid twenties man who just graduated college that is pretty active. 2 elders kids from the elders second marriage 20, 21ish.. they're MS.

anything between 25 and 65... not much to choose from except my ex husband whos a good butt kisser..

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Every congregation has useless elders... and you are correct Metatron, the Service Dept. refuses to delete them for whatever reason. We have one who is in his 70's and refuses to do anything, he doesnt even like to offer prayer or read for the B/S. Then there are 2 elders in there 40's and the rest are in their 30's. I must confess that over the past oh 4-5 yrs I have become a shirker myself because I could careless anymore.

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

Yes they are scraping the bottom of the barrel. In stead of following the scriptural requirements for recommending/appointing/whatever a brother to a position of elder, the current BOE looks for individuals who will be a Company Man™. Ones who have their own ideas on how the congregation would work better with more joy, these ones are dismissed as having independant ideas.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE
    Ones who have their own ideas on how the congregation would work better with more joy, these ones are dismissed as having independant ideas

Is anyone really, truly joyful being a JW? Honestly? I do know what you mean though, the ones who are sincere and really want to help people are overlooked a lot.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

My congregation

Three elders are over 75 years old and have no clue what's going on.
    The others are in their 50's-70's and are so busy with everday activities that the work at the KH gets second place.
    Not one young person as an elder hopeful, not one.

• Highlander
    Highlander

Not one young person as an elder hopeful, not one.

I consider that a good thing. Once upon a time I was a young MS and had I continued I would be one of those hopefull elders. I'm glad I woke up and I'm happy to see

that very few 'brothers' my age are considered hopeful elder replacements.

• fairchild
    fairchild

The KH I went to had 5 elders, all pretty young and very capable. 3 of the 5 elders are related through family ties. Now, recently I found out that TWO of the elders are now going to a different KH. I don't know if they are still elders in that new KH or not, but I do know that neither one of them is conducting a book study. I've been wondering what happened, they had been going to the old KH all of their lives. Why would they and their family move to a different KH all of a sudden, which is not in their territory and much further away to drive? I'm really curious by nature and have been prying, trying to find out if something happened or not. I asked one of them the other day if they are still going to the old KH on occasion to see their old friends and such, and the answer was just a short "no", nothing else.. I'm burning up with curiosity.

• target
    target

We visited a congregation in Arizona when we were on vacation several years ago and right away they wanted to know if we were moving there because they needed elders so badly. Every one they had was so old that they all had to sit down to do their meeting parts. They were worried about suddenly losing them all. By now they are surely all gone. And no, we did not move there.

Target

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit