Hello all; helping those in the org

by stapler99 21 Replies latest jw friends

• stapler99
    stapler99

I've been lurking for a while so thought I'd introduce myself. I'm in my late teens and left the JWs just before I left home. I used to know what absolute belief was, but never got baptised because I didn't feel any love for god. I wonder if anyone does or if they're just words. A lot of JWs I know are reasonable people, as long as you don't challenge their beliefs. One said something like: "What else is there outside the truth?" The "To whom shall we go" phenomenon. If they weren't so insular it would be easier to leave. This would mean that one was mentally free to bring one's doubts to the top. If there is some way to build up a life outside the organisation then breaking away is much more of a possibility. Few have the moral nobility to do what is hard, to strike out and stand up for one's beliefs. And then there is nostalgia; a sadness, but the sort a soldier may feel at the end of a war, when he is hanging up his gun and his military uniform. Emotional attachment is possible to even misery and death. Hello all!

• serendipity
    serendipity

HI stapler, welcome to the forum!

• geevee
    geevee

Hi, welcome to the forum.
    How you feel is how most feel when they leave. Do heaps of reading here, you will notice that. I would suggest you read some extra stuff that is available elsewhere. Steve Hassan's book on cult mind control, Ray Franz's books are well worth reading as is Carl O'laf Jonnson's.
    If you are younger, it is better for you, you can get yourself a life apart from the JW's.
    good luck.

• Forscher
    Forscher

Nice first post Stapler99!
    I think it can be said that most who grew up in the bOrg got baptised because it was expected, not for love of God. That you didn't give into that says much about you that is good. The "where will you go?" thing is so bogus now that we have the net as to be laughable. For one thing, if one really does believe that the JWs have the basics right, then they would have no problem finding Bible Students through the net to fellowship with. They might even find once that they get into Russell's writings that they like the God he describes a lot better than the one the Watchtower currently describes.
    And there are other groups as well which have similar views without the control obsession that the WTBTS has. Groups such as the second Adventists, whom Russell associated with while he was learning the basics, and the Christadelphians, and others are out there.
    Nostalgia can be a powerful force. There were many things I did that I will remember fondly despite the negative view I often express on this forum.
    So welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing you around.
    Forscher

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

DAMN! THAT WAS A GOOD 1ST POST STAPLER99

ACTUALLY YOU GOT ME TO THINK

lot of JWs I know are reasonable people, as long as you don't challenge their beliefs

that was me

"What else is there outside the truth?" The "To whom shall we go" phenomenon

I was in Bethel and that is a well known phrase

If there is some way to build up a life outside the organisation then breaking away is much more of a possibility

My road to recovery was when in Bethel I came across Anthony Robbin's book "Awaken the Giant Within". Crap!!! I read that during morning worship/during bethel family wt study whenever i went. That book helps you to understand why you believe what you believe and that you can change/alter your beliefs. That book helped me to unload a lot of mental crap that the org drills in you. The book was the wedge that helped me start my recovery and JWD was KEY realize that I was not alone.

Few have the moral nobility to do what is hard, to strike out and stand up for one's beliefs

I take that as a compliment. Thanks. I usually stood out for my right winged comments about the Jah's Org but always reverted to being neutral so that I would not get the boot. I got the boot later.

And then there is nostalgia; a sadness, but the sort a soldier may feel at the end of a war, when he is hanging up his gun and his military uniform. Emotional attachment is possible to even misery and death. Hello all!

Ain't that the truth.

looking forward to more of your posts :-)

nIGHT Templar

• Es
    Es

Hello and welcome

enjoy your stay

es

• crazies
    crazies

well put stapler! Welcome!

• nomoreTRUTHplz
    nomoreTRUTHplz

Welcome Stapler. Great post!

• Swan
    Swan

Welcome Stapler99!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Hi Stapler, nice illustrations.

Almost every time I spoke to a JW when I was leaving they asked exactly that question. The thing is, that is the wrong question. The correct question is "is this the truth?"

Yesterday I spoke to my Dad for the first time in the four months since being d/f. He asked exactly that same question. He was very offended when i said "That is the same question that people ask in every high control religion. I have copied quotes from Mormons and SDAs that say exactly the same".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit