Is there anything good about having been a JW?

by parakeet 18 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

Hi, all. I've been a lurker for a few weeks and finally threw my hat into the ring a few days ago. I've been out of the org for almost 30 years. The whys and wherefores can wait for another time. What I'd like to offer to those who are thinking about leaving or have just left and are going through a godawful time (believe me, I know what that's like), is that when the dust settles and you begin to feel somewhat normal again (and you will), you'll find that there are some benefits from having been a JW. Personally, I've found that I can see through religious and political rhetoric more easily than people who have never been in a cult. I'm not trying to be boastful here, just that after being as thoroughly taken in by the JWs as most of us have been, and the effort it takes to see through their mind-control tactics, we now tend to evaluate other ideas on a finer scale than is usual. From reading through the posts on this site, I can see that those out of the org for a few years have a more discerning (and true, sometimes a little jaundiced!) perspective about JWs and religion in general. The value of having this perspective is nothing to sneeze at. Another benefit is the development of genuine compassion for those still struggling to get out and for victims of other oppressive cults. That compassion takes different forms, but the kindness of those trying to help others on this site takes my breath away. For years, I was just as glad not to have to think about JWs again, but the people on this site have shown me I shouldn't turn my back on others that are going through our particular form of hell. One last benefit for me has been the development of a lively interest in other religions, not for the purposes of joining, but just to see how other people and cultures interpret the human condition. I've researched Judaism, Paganism, Buddhism, and Islam is next on my list. Of course, I'm not saying it's worth having been a JW just to gain some insights now; I would really rather not have been involved at all. But.....since we've all gone through it, I wanted to ask everyone if they've found any sweet in all the bitter. It might be of comfort for those still struggling with the org that there is a silver lining (even if just a small one) in the JW cloud.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I suppose being a jw helped me to become a more confident person when addressing groups of people, which I occasionally have to do. I led a very moral life for the 25 years I was in, avoiding most of the bad habits that many young people fall into, so I guess it wasn't all negative.

I am still very happy to be out though,

Btw, welcome to the forum parakeet.

• KW13
    KW13

i feel stronger in respects that most don't think about and i have an awareness of things going on that most never guess is happening. i can speak publicly without worrying, i can read well....thats it lol.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i was never exposed to anger or cursing till i was married.. but i credit that to my wonderful parents moreso than the religion.

i dunno what else.. oh ! i can smile and talk pleasantly and meekly as a submissive woman should. lol ( i dont use that one much anymore)

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I am usually very patient. Maybe I got that from the JWs...

My own personal experiences, in/out/leaving JWs has also helped make me very tolerant of other people (most of the time).

Thanks for the post, parakeet. Welcome to JWD!

-Aude Sapere (meaning: Dare to Know/Dare to Have Wisdom/Knowledge)

• greendawn
    greendawn

I can't think of anything and if there were a few positive points they would be by far outweighed by the negative points. The JW environment was not satisfying in any way, emotionally, intellectually or socially.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Is there anything good about having been a JW?

I was asking myself the same thing for the entire 20 years I was one. I must be kinda slow...

There is nothing good that I got from being a JW that I could not have achieved better in some other way.

W

• under_believer
    under_believer

Similar to Finally-Free, I cannot with certainty say that I wouldn't have developed these things elsewhere, but for what it's worth, I think that being a Witnesses made me:
    * Completely free from racism
    * Unafraid of hard work
    * Able to open a Bible instantly to any passage
    * Patient with hard luck cases and people otherwise having a rough time
    * An excellent public speaker

And as the original poster indicated, I can see straight through any cult, like a laser.

It's impossible to say what I would have been like in an alternate dimension without Witnesses. Being a Witness has made me who I am; and I like who I am. Not all people feel this way and some have had absolutely horrific times, and I don't mean to minimize those people's experiences. I was relatively lucky.

• Balsam
    Balsam

You SAID:

I've found that I can see through religious and political rhetoric more easily than people who have never been in a cult. I'm not trying to be boastful here, just that after being as thoroughly taken in by the JWs as most of us have been, and the effort it takes to see through their mind-control tactics, we now tend to evaluate other ideas on a finer scale than is usual. Another benefit is the development of genuine compassion for those still struggling to get out and for victims of other oppressive cults. That compassion takes different forms, but the kindness of those trying to help others on this site takes my breath away. One last benefit for me has been the development of a lively interest in other religions, not for the purposes of joining, but just to see how other people and cultures interpret the human condition. I've researched Judaism, Paganism, Buddhism, and Islam is next on my list.

I have to agree, I've found the same things. Only I got involved in a support group immediately and as soon as I got on my feet I reached out to help others find their way.

Balsam

• damselfly
    damselfly

I hit my bottom while in the JW's. I found that I am a very strong person mentally and have the ability to survive anything thrown at me. Nowhere to go but up I guess? Dams

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit