Is there anything good about having been a JW?

by parakeet 18 Replies latest jw friends

• uninformed
    uninformed

The only thing good I can say right now about having been one of JW's is that I learned the hard way that 'religion is a snare and a racket', including theirs.

u

• blondie
    blondie

I think why some find this question hard to answer is that it is like trying to find something good about a child abuser. Does it matter that they were punctual, were kind to dogs, worked hard, loved their mother and father, but were out abusing children (or their own)?

Blondie

• parakeet
    parakeet

Sorry that there are 2 posts about the same thing. I didn't think the first got posted so I wrote another. Just pick one and ignore the other. Thanks!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Before I was a JW I sucked very badly at public speaking. After 20 years as a JW I still suck very badly at public speaking.

I'm still trying to think of something good that came out of the experience, but it's tough.

W

• battman
    battman

NO battman: free at last, God Almighty free at last

• mouthy
    mouthy

One thing I am pleased for NOW..They encouraged me to quit smoking two packs a day.....( saves a lot of money they were only 40 cents a pack back then)....I had to do that to get baptised. ..... But the fact that on getting "ousted" I lost my kids & Grandkids- wasnt really worth it..... Just because I didnt see Jesus come invisably in 1914....

• greendawn
    greendawn

Mouthy you have made a good point you would rather be a smoker and have your family with you, a lot of the JW benefit comes for a price that doesn't make it worthwhile.

Did they D'F you because you refused to accept the invisible return doctrine? How do they Biblically prove that supposed invisible return, it will rather be like lightening that is very visible across the sky for all to see.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yes they said if I did not believe Math 24 ( How to recognise Jesus invisable return) I was not a JW...I nearly killed myself thinking I was a Judus. I am SO happy they really set me free when they "ousted" me. I would like to send THANK-YOU cards to the elders that gave me the left foot of fellowship ( smile)

• free2beme
    free2beme

It gave me an understanding of Christianity, from a different perspective then most Christian faiths. It made me a good public speaker, and it also helped with impromptu speaking. It also taught me a lot about group thinking and how dangerous following the pack without question could be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit