Hedging your bets to everlasting life!!!!!!!!!

by Spectrum 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

The mentality of some JWs which keeps them in the Org is one of hedging their position and not one of love for the Org or anyone else for that matter.
    Basically they rationalise their situation by saying, "if I'm right, then I get everlasting life. If I'm wrong what's the problem? I have my life, a social circle of friends and a clear christian conscience. How many other people on this planet have these two great choices?

This is the position of my sister and her husband. They are exactly what christianity should not be about - materialism and racism, which sums them up.

• blondie
    blondie

If God truly knows what is in people's hearts and minds (assuming you believe there is a God and I assmue your relatives do), who are they kidding...who are they pleasing, humans who can only see some of what you do in the open. If they really believe there is a God who knows all, they are in big doodoo.

Blondie

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I have known quite a few with that attitude. They say something on the lines of "if the new system does become a reality, I'll be there: if it doesn't, then this is still a good way to live". They are serving for what they hope to get out of it, not because they want to help others.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

B,

This is the problem, they really feel that their approach is acceptable to God, that he will overlook the fact that they are just betting both sides because they are at least doing the Org's bidding which takes them off god's shit list and puts them on the A-list.

• greendawn
    greendawn

In short the JWs serve their God and do everything else out of fear which means their whole behaviour is unnatural and lacks genuine feeling. Their whole environment is artificial and useless for any positive action.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Basically they rationalise their situation by saying, "if I'm right, then I get everlasting life. If I'm wrong what's the problem? I have my life, a social circle of friends and a clear christian conscience. How many other people on this planet have these two great choices?

....similar to the atheism/humaist viewpoint, which says: "No one can prove God exists or doesn't exist, so it doesn't make much sense to focus my attention on proving or disproving something that is impossible to prove/disprove. I am going to focus my energy instead upon living a purposeful, meaningful, good, happy life. If at some point in the future God wishes to make himself known, he will be happy I have lived a good life and used my energy to pursue happiness in life, the gift he gave me."

....except the humanists can be actually happy, unlike most jws I know who live very depressing lives.

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

rebel8,

You just described what is formally called Pascal's Wager (in both cases)...

-silent (of the "too much game theory" class)

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Spectrum right on the money.

This was me 10 years ago.

still is most of my relatives.

Brother in law knows its crap but he says its a good place for his kids to make friends and boy its fun going to all the friends houses and gettin free dinners ( they are very cheap) and its great to make business contacts networking, networking.

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

moomanchu,

Yeap, sounds like my brother-in-law. He has made money off them from selling and getting them to things for free. The amount of times I helped i'm out but the last time was the last time, he never reciprocates.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Hell, I've got the same deal going on: Just send me 10% of your gross income for "Afterlife Insurance" and I will guarantee you an eternity of bliss and happiness. Oh, and you will also have to follow a "few" rules while you are still alive. These are not my rules, they are the rules of the Afterlife Organization and I am the earths sole channel of communication for the Afterlife Organization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit