Need some good reasoning points

by mavie 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mavie
    mavie

Thanks everybody.

I'm aware I need to take this slow, but I just want to scream it at the top of my lungs!

I'm going to try and let life happen and bring up various questions and concerns in a natural way.

Also, excuse my spelling over the past few posts! It's finals week at the University and spelling isn't my number one concern at this point.

• blondie
  • garybuss
    garybuss

I tried to get my wife to examine her beliefs. Instead she examined her reasons for staying married to me and she wasn't finding too many.

• elliej
    elliej

For me, a big thing was how they misquote "experts" in order to support their theology. When I saw the misquotes I was a lot more eager to check other things out. It really helped my husband see the dishonesty in the org as well.

• Will Power
    Will Power

thanks Blondie,
    I copied that list yrs ago and didn't have a url to go with it.

I just rec'd a back issue of the sceptical inquirer that has the article "Why Bad Beliefs Don't Die"
    but here is the online link:
    http://www.csicop.org/si/2000-11/beliefs.html
    great conversation starter!

wp

• trevor
    trevor

Truth is inconvenient and eludes most people. This could be why the comments by James Thomas are so often overlooked.

Hang on in there James. One day the rest of the world will catch up with you!

• truth.ceeker
    truth.ceeker

Hello Mavie,
    I am going through a similar reasoning with my wife. I have been leaking out small amounts of information that I hope will plant some seeds that will open her eyes to the truth. And that the wtbts has been misleading and lying to it's members. Items such as child molestation and the mishandling of the reported cases by the elders. Since we have two young daughters, this is what I am hoping will really make her see how their ways are not safe, especially for children. I have also talked about how the society has been changing their doctrines. This one has not particularly struck any nerve, because I get the sense that things that the society taught us more than two to three years ago is no longer correct and that was the old light. Funny I think about how much things change with certain things and how much things stay the same with others.
    Just this past weekend, when we had a visit by two young Mormon elders. She asked, "Why do they say they are from the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints?" I said that didn't she remember that we used to say we were international bible students when we were going door to door not so long ago? I also said that is where the Jehovah's witnesses came from and that the bible students are still in existence today and how Charles Taze Russell left the bible students and made his own sect. I could see that this left a mark in her mind as she was quiet for a few minutes before we talked about something else.

my family's journey to the truth
    truth.ceeker

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Hi mavie

I'm aware I need to take this slow, but I just want to scream it at the top of my lungs!

I'm going to try and let life happen and bring up various questions and concerns in a natural way.

That's very wise. My husband had doubts and was reading some very dodgy material and came to some uncomfortable conclusions many years before I did. I was scared, but thought it was his faith, his relationship with God, he had to figure it out and I wasn't going to upset any applecarts by snitching on him (besides, I've always had a deep-seated mistrust of elders LOL). He did discuss one or two matters on his mind with me, but I didn't see the issues as he did. It was only when my own cog diss got to such a pitch that I decided for myself to look more closely into what I'd assumed was true and indisputable all my life. And I am so glad hubby hadn't forced his dissident ideas on me! I'd still be within the paradigm had he done so.

Your wife already has a lot on her plate - emotionally, mentally etc. - hitting her with 'the truth about the truth' might be too much for her. You are right in your gently-gently approach, IMHO. And I would let her initiate - she has to be ready to open that can of worms - while continuing to be a loving, supportive husband to her.

And as for your screaming at the top of your lungs about it all. I know (many here also know) exactly how you feel. Thank God for the internet where we can safely scream all we want to without upsetting our loved ones!

• mdb
    mdb

The WTBTS has told your spouse they are more than welcome to put their religion under the magifying glass. This was posted on another thread:

Watchtower May 1 1958 p.261 Is Your Religion the Right One?

“It is important, then, that you "keep testing whether you are in the faith," as Paul declared. Keep checking to see whether the things you believe are in keeping with God's Word. But the question is, Are you willing to put your religion through such a test? There is nothing to fear, because if you have the right religion you can only be reassured by the examination. And if what you believe is not in keeping with the Bible, then you should welcome the truth, because it leads to light and life. - Isa 8:20, Dy; 2 Cor 13:5”

Maybe it was posted here already... I didn't read everything.

• archangel01
    archangel01

http://www.macgregorministries.org/

click on the link above, they have Great teaching tools on the cult's like the JW's. Booklets/dvd's/tapes etc

Get the DVD "jehovah witnesses and the Real Jesus"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit