Ive figured out our need for religion...

by theinfamousone 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Sure...

Although fear is only the dark side of consciousness, the bright side of which is wonder -- wonder at being, wonder at wonder itself.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    i think our major problem as living breathing entities is that we like to believe the world revolves around us. no matter how unselfish we think we are, we still do not want to think of a time when we are not around... we do not want to think of being forgotten, we do not even want to think of dying... right? so we invent a god, who cares and who stretches his hands out to us so that we can one day be remembered by him, and be saved by him, either by reincarnation, heaven, new world, and the list goes on... we are all afraid of nothingness, so we use religion to console our fear and to be able to think that we will never be nothing...

A friend and I were discussing this a week or so ago and I have to admit she did manage to convince me of this fact; I wasnt convinced at first but from further reading, I believe you are right, the anthropocentric worldview is responsible for the birth of religion and its associated problems; the sooner humanity realises that we are not the ultimate and we take a more biocentric worldview the better.

DB74

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    What about the sociological needs of the evolved human race?

There are admittedly sociological needs LT but the question is whether religion actually abuses those needs and desires or fulfils them...this is where it becomes a highly subjective matter!

DB74

• moomanchu
    moomanchu
    think our major problem as living breathing entities is that we like to believe the world revolves around us. no matter how unselfish we think we are, we still do not want to think of a time when we are not around... we do not want to think of being forgotten, we do not even want to think of dying... right?

I don't quite believe this.

I know darn well not a whole lot revolves around me.

When I'm not around why would I care if anyone remembers me.

The graveyards are full of irreplaceable people.

Auldsoul, very good point.

If nothing else believing in God helps you get through this life and gives you some hope of peace.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    the anthropocentric worldview is responsible for the birth of religion and its associated problems; the sooner humanity realises that we are not the ultimate and we take a more biocentric worldview the better.

What about a mineralocentric worldview?

How could a worldview be anything but anthropocentric?

Wasn't the invention of gods among the first helpless attempts to surpass anthropocentrism?

I'm afraid the only choice we have is to be shamefully or proudly anthropocentric. Actually it's not even a choice, we're bound to be both.

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

Good post.I am a thinking on it.

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

I think its all about adults who haven't grown up. They don't have mummy and daddy to structure their lives and run them for them anymore so they turn to another authoritative figure. God. Or in our case the Org

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit