Ive figured out our need for religion...

by theinfamousone 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

or at least i have a good theory as to why we like to think there is a god who cares about us and why we follow his "guidelines" and rules and then go to his churches and follow his religions...

i think our major problem as living breathing entities is that we like to believe the world revolves around us. no matter how unselfish we think we are, we still do not want to think of a time when we are not around... we do not want to think of being forgotten, we do not even want to think of dying... right? so we invent a god, who cares and who stretches his hands out to us so that we can one day be remembered by him, and be saved by him, either by reincarnation, heaven, new world, and the list goes on... we are all afraid of nothingness, so we use religion to console our fear and to be able to think that we will never be nothing...

what do you think???

the infamous one

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

totally agree man. the thought that there is nothing, and nothingness, freaks people out. people who where raised in ultra concrete black and white upbringings, where there *must* be a clear answer for everything. but there are lots of folks out there, who are not freaked by the nothingness at all. because, if there is only nothingness, then it really doesn't matter at all what we do or believe, does it? who cares about what is most likely the truth, right? truth is only a relative abrstraction in a universe with nil meaning. no need to sweat the details. -- nice to see you dude. still moving to van? -- TS

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

I applaud your insight tio.

j

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Creepy your post gives us food for thought. Interesting. I shall be pondering.

• anewme
    anewme

maybe

From all observations it seems both the believer and the unbeliever are allowed to live out their lives with no interference from a God. It is still unknown if either has an advantage in an afterlife.

If you need it you have your pick of a wide variety of religions out there to soothe your fears and calm your heart and mind.

More than for self I think humans mourn their dead loved ones who precede them into death who they fear they will never see again. This is a great and painful reality for human beings. I guess it is too
    much for the human brain to believe. For all the hard effort it is to stay alive and bring offspring to birth and feed and clothe and build and thrive, what is the purpose of all that heart wrenching effort???
    What happens to their beautiful children who die young? What happends to their handsome husbands who provided so well for the family? What happens to the generous and beautiful bride and young mother who succumbs to an unforseen accident or illness and dies leaving many children who cry for her.

Why are humans so affected by the death of their loved ones it hurts for the rest of their lives?
    If it is so natural why cant we accept death as part of life? Religion offers us an explanation.

It is easy on a sunny day in your youth to give the finger to religion. But there will be days ahead when you will wonder too, like the rest of pitiful mankind, where are the dead?

Being former witnesses is a great freedom, but great pain. We just dont know how all this is going to play out. I for one am trying to find peace in the reality that I will die and not be mourned nor be remembered. So be it. And if I am remembered, wonderful!!! I am trying to be good and doing what I can to be an honest and truthful person (and between you and me I do it to please God. I think of him everyday and hope I find favor in his eyes, because yes, it is pretty bleak to think of unconsciousness for eternity) So after I said all this, I guess I am no different than anyone else.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I used to say, and still believe, "If we arose from nothing more than energy, then it is nature's cruelest trick that we are 'graced' with the capacity to conceive our own mortality."

Of course, I am not quite ready to believe that is how we arose.

• parakeet
    parakeet

theinfamousone: "we are all afraid of nothingness." Buddhist thought teaches that we should embrace the "nothingness" of our existence, and by doing so, our fear will dissolve and we will be utterly free and fully alive. Check out almost any of Alan Watts' books about eastern thought and religion. Enlightening!

• Rev. Moon
    Rev. Moon

I of course am convinced you are mistaken, at least in my own case. I have traveled many times to the world of the dead and have spoken with my beloved dead ones. I also know we are not the center of the cosmos. In fact, the dead exist as a form of elctromagnetic energy, and it is as a part of that energy field that we exist as consciousness after physical death, as the electromagnetic field of the earth. In five hundred million years the sun will expand and engulf the earth and we will cease as individual consciousnesses. God is not a person but is the sum total of all that is, and is not a Being. God is being itself. God does not exist. God is existence itself. God is not loving. God is Love itself. God is not conscious. God is consciousness itself.

It does not matter what you think or believe, or do not think or believe. It is best to relax. Enjoy life.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'll run with ya...

What about the sociological needs of the evolved human race? The need to feel part of something bigger does not always stem from mere narcissism.

If we went full hog into individualism then what's to stop us degenerating, as have civilisations before ours?

After all, what is the point of permitting the human race to continue if there's nothing bigger than ourselves, and we'll be dead within 100 years of existance? There doesn't seem to be much reason for it, from an egoistic viewpoint. Might as well feck like bunnies and hope the mixamatosis doesn't kill us.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I am somewhat in agreement with you. I have had similar thoughts myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit