When former Witnesses do this, it kind of freaks me out.

by free2beme 24 Replies latest jw friends

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

How bizarre! And sad for them all... that they are so thrown from having left that they have to get back to the closest thing they can. Wonder if they have elders?

Apparently victims of abuse very easily get drawn into similar forms of abuse...

• free2beme
    free2beme

I actually got the feeling they felt Jehovah was directing them now, much like the early Witnesses did towards other churches.

• daystar
    daystar

I attended what some people might consider to be a black mass (heretical Gnostic Mass really) once. I think your experience would have been creepier.

• kid-A
    kid-A

Nope. Its the same poop. Just a different pile.

• flag
    flag

Definatelly NO!!!

When I was attending meetings I used to hear stories about how when a person leaves the org they don't join any religions. Now I know why!! I feel so intelectually raped so angry that I don't want to have anything to do with any form of religion.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

A chick I know growing up, was kinda/sorta raised a JW (her parents were divorced and her dad was a JW, but mom was not). She use to trash JWs like you would not believe. She was horrible. She decided she did not like the JW religion, so she joined a fundamentalist church. Then she decided that the church she was going to was too liberal in its thinking, so she formed her own church. Yup, kids, her own. She at one time had probably about 20 or so people coming to listen to her preach at them. Eventually, she had a falling out with every single person there because they were not spiritual enough, they were not good enough, they were not true Christians. What really killed me was that she combined JW teachings with her fundamentalist teachings. It was like combining all the bad JW beliefs and all the crazy fundamentalist beliefs all rolled into one. It was the most high strung, craziest religion I ever heard of and you want to talk about judgmental!

• free2beme
    free2beme

Well, if you think about it, isn't the idea of breaking off from one religion and forming your own an idea as old as time itself?

• carla
    carla

could it have been the Lord's Witnesses? (breakaway jw's who claim the wt in Brooklyn will be destroyed soon.)

• free2beme
    free2beme

I have been trying hard to remember their name. I thought it was something like Christian Witnesses of Jehovah.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

There are a lot of groups out there that are similiar to the witnesses. I associated with one for a very brief time after leaving the WT. For many, they have not learned to rely on God on a personal basis and still feel they need to go to a place to get spiritual food. So, for them this is like an easy transition from the witnesses. Or I should say an easy replacement.

I found that it was exactly the same and I had to decide whether I wanted to do down the same road again. Of course I decided no way, been there, done that. Why would I want to go to meetings again and have things interpreted for me? I decided that thru faith in Christ, I could now approach God directly.

Anyway, when my hubby and I went to this "bible group" and they started quoting from the WTs, just like the Witnesses (because they are another Russell Group) and used the same catch phrases like asking how we learned "the truth", we felt like we were in the twilight Zone. I dont blame you for not going back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit