Anyone ever just picked up and moved far away

by Cabin in the woods 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Cabin in the woods
    Cabin in the woods

Has anyone here ever just gotten so sick of it all that they just packed up their belongings and pets and left?

How did you do it? Did you know people in the place that you went to? How did you find work?

Was it a big social shock like from country to large city?

Was it worth it in the end?

Cab

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Has anyone here ever just gotten so sick of it all that they just packed up their belongings and pets and left?

Well, it wasnt about getting sick of it all. I just left.

How did you do it?

Packed all my shit and drove down the road.

Did you know people in the place that you went to? How did you find work?

One time I already knew ppl there from this board. The other time I knew no one. Found work on the web before leaving.

No not really

Never have done anything that wasnt worth it in one way or another.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

That's how I got to California... The first time me & my buddies got arrested in Arkasas fo stealing gas; Major set back... the second time I followed the Grateful Dead, and made money along the way...

Yup all the way from Baltimore, Maryland.... I was still young, and determined to have a blast before the "big A"

• hubert
    hubert

If this is what you are planning, make sure you have enough money/travelers checks on hand to hold you over until you can get yourself established in your new environment. Always keep enough cash to get you back home, in case you change your mind and want to move back.

I've never done this, but this comes to mind when thinking about it. Edited to add.... Sometimes (like right now) I would like to move to the moon, just for a couple of years.

Hubert

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Yep. In my mid 20's I made a decision one morning that I didn't want to live where I was anymore. 2 weeks later I had sold all my furniture, quit my job, given up the lease on my house and packed everything I owned into my car. A 13 hour drive later I arrived at my destination.

How did you do it? Did you know people in the place that you went to? How did you find work?

I did know people there. I stayed with them for a couple of weeks (which was terrible and I have nothing to do with them now.) and by then I had found a room to rent with some girls and a new job. I had to make all new friends. I found work through the internet.

I moved to a city much larger than from where I had grown up. It was amazing. I think I walked about the place the whole time with my eye's bulging! It was like being a kid in a candy store. Always new things to do and see.

Definately. I'd always lived in the same town. I needed to see more of the world. Being a long distance away from my family actually helped me to form a relationship with them for the first time! (weird hey..) I eventually came back home but with a whole lot of life experiences under my belt which helps me so much to date.

• anewme
    anewme

Yes I have Cab and it was both scary and exciting!

The first time I was only 18. My Dad asked me to leave at 10pm at night after a fight about the Witnesses. He was very opposed to my getting baptized and something I said tipped his scales and he ordered me out.

I grabbed my musical instrument and a small suitcase with few clothes and left out the door, never to return to that house and family.

I felt very afraid but also very sure of myself. I had had enough and was sure I could do better.

Then I married and lived with the JW husband 20 years when one day after an argument that was it again.
    I packed my stuff and my dogs and went and got my own place. Called some movers and had them pick up the rest of my belongings. Again I had had enough and knew I could do better.

I lived on my own there for 6 months when the landlord went nuts on me. I gave her my notice and left to live with a boy friend.
    After 6 months in his dark duplex I was miserable as could be.
    He went looking and found our present cabin in the woods.
    That was 4 years ago. Everyday I think what a paradise!

But for a place to be paradise it has to be lovely and be with persons you enjoy living with.

What is wrong Cab? You told me you enjoy the country. I think you would be miserable in the city.
    It is noisy and I think you would hate it after living so remotely.
    Why not look for another rural setting? Is there anything keeping you in the state where you are at?

I never miss friends too much, because I make new friends so easily.
    I think you would too.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    How did you do it?

Yup Quebec politics suck. As an english speaking person I experienced discrimination and had enough. So I sold what I couldn't take, packed up the rest and the 2 cats and moved half way across the country

Did you know people in the place that you went to?

Only one person and that was very hard. Shortly after I got there I took a huge fall down the stais and damaged the nerve in my leg which put me out of commission for almost a year.

How did you find work?

Once I get better a friend of my one friend told him about openings where she worked so I got a job finally

I went from Montreal (pop 2,000,00+) to Winnipeg (600,000+) I loved that it was english. I didn't have to deal with french politics. But there is a large french population in Winnipeg so I still got to hear it and even use it and without the pressure of a political regime I actually enjoyed speaking french

Well one thing that was great for me was that I no longer had to deal with all the JWs who knew me. As an elder's wife and the sign language interpreter there weren't too many people who didn't know me so going to a city where no one knew me was a relief.

But I would up marrying the one person I knew and well.... now I live in Ottawa -- alone. It was worth it to leave Quebec except that my daughters still live there. At least from Ottawa I'm only a couple of hours away from them

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

Moved away from home and went straight for Atlanta.I love the city and the people still get along so well here.Was drawn to the city because I remember when I was little and we were visiting the city my dad saw some of the leaders of the civil rights movement and told me who they were.I walked up and Andrew Young smiled and winked at me and others smiled at me.It felt good when years later I could say that I met them not really knowing how famous they would be.From what I have seen in documentaries I must have been the only nice white person they had met up to that time.Yep I love my city.Now live east of it and closer to work.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

My son did. He was sick of the two faced back stabbing "friends' he had here. He became inactive for about four months found a job on the internet and within two months moved over 1500 miles away to California . He knew one person a friend of a friend . After a few months he started attending meetings out there just to have some familiar contacts . He is happy now . I havn't really discussed my inactivity at lenghth with him yet. But I know he thinks the congregation here is toxic.He just doesn't realize how deep the toxicity goes...yet.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Has anyone here ever just gotten so sick of it all that they just packed up their belongings and pets and left? Because my husband's job moved 2200 miles away, we went also.

How did you do it? Hubby's company paid for it. Packed up a big ole truck and our areostar van with 3 kids and got out of dodge.

Did you know people in the place that you went to? Yes, some of hubby's co-workers moved too and I have some family on my mother's side here, also hubby's family lives 1 1/2 hours away from where we live now.

How did you find work? See prior.

Was it a big social shock like from country to large city? We lived in a city (Oakland) and we moved to the suburb of Indianapolis. We had sticker shock cuz the cost of living is so much lower here. I was used to paying almost 2 bucks for a dozen eggs, here I have seen eggs as low as 50 cents a dozen. Housing is really cheap too compared to California.

Was it worth it in the end? Oh hell yes! I now own a house, my kids are in a 4 star school district, my inlaws love me and the family, and I've made some really good friends.

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit