Were any of you ever...

by LaCatolica 21 Replies latest jw friends

• LaCatolica
    LaCatolica

...teased, harrassed, tormented in school because you were JW and couldn't participate in what other students participated in? How old were you when it began to happen? How did you feel and how did you react to it? Did you ask why you couldn't do certain things?

Example: My sister-in-law would rather her daughter miss a school day than to have her watch others celebrate or participate in activities, ie. Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter, etc. She has deliberately kept her at home just because there would be celebrations at school that she was forbidden to participate in. I bet that even this week since Mother's Day is Sunday, she'll stay at home tomorrow b/c students make cards and crafts to give their moms on Mother's Day....how sad! Did you guys get to stay home in order to avoid these things too?

• Dune
    Dune

I never stayed home, I went to school birthday, christmas and halloween parties up until the 7th grade when i got "serious".

No one really cares when i did or didnt do it. That was kind of worse than overt persecution. it was as if no one gave a D@mn what you did, kind of made you wonder if you were doing this for any reason. After reading stories of children being persercuted for their views, i'd wonder why i wasnt being persecuted.

I think when it all comes down to it, no one cares whether or not you celebrate holidays or not.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I don't specifically remember being teased about being a jw. I do remember there were bullies who would torment the fat kids in school or the geeks in school or the boys picking on girls. But the religion thing, I don't remember. I am sure it did happen from time to time. But I was allowed to have "worldly" friends and I think that made it easier for me because I was not a complete outcast.

• KW13
    KW13

since late primary school to secondary i had that. glad i'm done with school and jw's now.

• wifey
    wifey

I remember some teasing around 3-4 grade.

Mom & Dad had the teachers send me to the library or set a desk in the hall for me.

What fun, I got to do school work while the other kids had a party. Sounds fair don't it?

Wifey

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I tried not to talk about it too much...I just wanted to be a normal kid.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Oh yes. Odd looks, arguments, being called a Communist or Nazi, or unamerican...weirdo, freak, loser...some of the girls felt sorry for me and I would get sympathy valentines, or sometimes cookies the day after a certain holiday.

Sitting outside the class was routine. After the first couple, every holiday the whole class would announce when I could leave the room. It kept me from connecting, alright.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• under_believer
    under_believer

I was severely picked on as a schoolkid, but I don't have conclusive data on whether it was caused by my being a Witness. I was a pretty odd kid that likely would have gotten picked on anyways. I suspect being a Witness didn't help much.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

I actually carried being a jw well as a child and was treated with respect. I did get to stay home when they had holiday stuff at school. My Mom usually did something special with us like took us to a movie or shopping or lunch. I didn't really mind missing out on that stuff. It was the normal mental/emotional development of my childhood that I missed...like learning to think for myself, to love myself unconditionally and value my own gifts.
    tall penguin

• Mary
    Mary
    teased, harrassed, tormented in school because you were JW and couldn't participate in what other students participated in? How old were you when it began to happen? How did you feel and how did you react to it? Did you ask why you couldn't do certain things?

Oh god yes. I was teased, harrassed and tormented on a regular basis from Grade 1 on. I felt humiliated when I had to stand outside the classroom for "God Save the Queen, O Canada and the Lords Prayer" every morning and I would cry (in private) when I couldn't participate in any of the fun stuff. No birthdays, no Christmas, Hallowwe'en, Thanksgiving, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day----nothing! What made it really bad is that I was the only Witness at my school, so I couldn't have any worldly friends and there were no Witness kids there either. The entire thing had a severe impact on my emotional well being and, in my opinion, was the root cause of me never having any self-esteem growing up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit