Holidays

by I-follow-the-narrow-path 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• I-follow-the-narrow-path
    I-follow-the-narrow-path

JW's don't celebrate holidays, because they are pagan and would offend Jehovah God to partake in them.

What about the memorial though? I mean, why is it okay to celebrate that?

Just wondering.

Thanks

Elizabeth

• blondie
    blondie

Referring to that day as the "memorial" is pretty much a JW buzzword, either JWs or people who have been around JWs a long time, use it. How is it that a new person just studying with JWs, uses that term and doesn't know that it is all right to celebrate?

Hmmmmmmm?

Blondie (inquiring minds want to know)

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

yeah but jws celebrate weddings with pagan customs i.e. wedding rings, bridal gowns, groomsmen, maids or maiden of honor, etc

what about that?

I-follow-the-narrow-path

oh course I know it is RIGHT to celebrate it.. I just don't know how why. I mean... it seems as though it would be man made. I never though calling it Memorial was a JW buzzword. A JW just told me they celebrate it.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

do you always accept what you're told?

I-follow-the-narrow-path

hmmmm... good point.

Never though about that...

I don't think that would offend Jehovah as much as other things though..

would it?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

why not? if jehovah is not offended in the little things then why not celebrate birthdays?

I-follow-the-narrow-path

well... I do my research too. I don't like reading other bibles besides the NWT... it annoys me that they don't use God's name.

Also... i have been regularly studying for about a month now... but known my JW teacher for two years or so

I-follow-the-narrow-path

Good point... that is hard to answer.

Maybe I should look into it.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    well... I do my research too. I don't like reading other bibles besides the NWT

How can you do any meaningful research if you limit yourself to one bible. And do you know if the name of God is really jehovah and if the society has really replaced God's name to the bible or just added where they saw fit?

By all means do research! Don't limit yourself.

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit